Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

32 views
Issues with Quotes > Keep, or merge?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments So we have two quotes, essentially identical (well with one word which some may argue changes the meaning. I disagree, but I digress). The problem stems not from the difference, but rather from the fact that one of these quotes was the QOtD. And it's also the one that's been added less.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/21052...
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/68778...

Keep both, or merge?


message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44666 comments Mod
Anything that deletes a QOTD is a Bad Idea and will bring down upon you the Wrath of the PTB.


message 3: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Hence the post. I stay away from PTB decisions or Bad Ideas for I value my librarianship. Probably more than is healthy. Still, in future bring it up here or message support?


message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments rivka wrote: "Anything that deletes a QOTD is a Bad Idea and will bring down upon you the Wrath of the PTB."

Is there any way to know that a quote IS a QOTD from the quote page itself?
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/68778...

If we don't see it on the Popular Quotes page, or wherever else it appears, there is no obvious indication.

lafon حمزة wrote: "Hence the post. I stay away from PTB decisions or Bad Ideas for I value my librarianship. Probably more than is healthy. Still, in future bring it up here or message support?"

Hear, hear.


message 5: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments From rivka: The edit log will usually have Kara in it somewhere if it's a QoTD, but I don't see anything more obvious.

The one problem is that Kara isn't always in the changelog.


message 6: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "From rivka: The edit log will usually have Kara in it somewhere if it's a QoTD, but I don't see anything more obvious.

The one problem is that Kara isn't always in the changelog."


There are no edits of any kind in the one in your OP.

And there are plenty of gaps in the QOTD sequence. I hope none of them are mine. Panic time.


message 7: by Kara (last edited Dec 21, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Kara | 11 comments Would it help if I started labeling the current day's QOTD with "qotd" as they go up? I'd be willing to do that.

Edit: Feel free to add "QOTD" to any current or past quotes we've featured, if you'd like.


message 8: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Kara wrote: "Would it help if I started labeling the current day's QOTD with "qotd" as they go up? I'd be willing to do that."

Like with a tag? That would be helpful. At least we wouldn't accidentally merge or delete them.


message 9: by Kara (last edited Dec 21, 2012 04:34PM) (new)

Kara | 11 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "Kara wrote: "Would it help if I started labeling the current day's QOTD with "qotd" as they go up? I'd be willing to do that."

Like with a tag? That would be helpful. At least we wouldn't accid..."


I'll try to do it when I can. The only problem is that we queue them ahead of time and we can't "reveal" them too early with tags, which would make it a daily task.


message 10: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Kara wrote: "I'll try to do it when I can. The only problem is that we queue them ahead of time and we can't "reveal" them too early with tags, which would make it a daily task."


It's not really a big deal in terms of tagging it. One day when I have nothing better to do, I'll go through and tag them. My question really has more to do with the duplication of quotes when one is the QoTD like the example in the first post.


back to top