Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

What's your say on the decision of having a final Hunger Games for the Capitol's children?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Moshira El Balamony If you were in their shoes, and you almost was while reading the books, what would you have voted for? Would you want a final Hunger Games, or would you like to seek peace just like that? I myself couldn't make up my mind.

Grlpwr00 i would want to make peace. i understand that in the book the hunger games had been going on for a long time and killing those of the districts to pay for the "dark days". even so though it would not be right to torture those of the capitol. sure they didnn't do anything to stop the games but they are im my opinion. if you want anything to happen hurt the game makers and the president.

Erin Grlpwr00 wrote: "i would want to make peace. i understand that in the book the hunger games had been going on for a long time and killing those of the districts to pay for the "dark days". even so though it would n..."

I agree. I don't think that children should pay the for the decisions/crimes of their parents or grandparents. It just causes more death and destruction that isn't necessary.

Moshira El Balamony Yes, but then again, the children of the districts were killed for the entertainment of those of the Capitol. I mean, they didn't do anything to stop it and that's okay cuz they're just kids but they enjoyed watching children murdering each other!

message 5: by G (new) - rated it 2 stars

G Peace. Though, yes, the children of the Capitol never had to go through worries about becoming a Tribute, what point would there be to have one last Hunger Games? Weren't the districts wanting to end the suffering of the cruel game? So what's the point of continuing the horrible tradition?

Shanna_redwind It's something no child should go through. Just like you wouldn't make a child take the punishment of a parent who has committed murder, you shouldn't make the children of the Capitol take the punishment of their parents.

Though....if you could figure out a way to stage the event without traumatizing the children, it might be nice to fake the whole thing and make the parents think their children were having to kill each other off. Then maybe they could begin to have empathy and realize that those were real people that were hurting on the screen not just entertainment.

Mackenzie Anybody who would vote for a final Hunger Games is as bad as the people who originally had the Hunger Games in my opinion. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Nobody deserves to go through that. Nobody. Especially not innocent children just because their ancestors were bad people.

Annie No way...its way too cruel!

message 9: by QR (new) - rated it 2 stars

QR I'd vote yes, the Capitol kids should partake in the Games, and have them go through the entire process of training, reaping, etc. However, right as they got into the arena and were standing on the platforms, I'd make an announcement saying stop and the Hunger Games will not take place. The reason being, the people in the Capitol need to understand and empathize with the other districts. Sympathy is not enough. I'm not immoral enough to make children go through that, but I do think the Capitol people deserve a good scare. So even when the Capitol/District children grew up, they understood how bad their lives almost became.

www.puffpost.tumblr.com

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Mackenzie wrote: "Two wrongs don't make a right and all that."

I was just about to say the exact same thing!

Moshira wrote: "Yes, but then again, the children of the districts were killed for the entertainment of those of the Capitol. I mean, they didn't do anything to stop it and that's okay cuz they're just kids but they enjoyed watching children murdering each other!"

And how is that the childrens fault? The wrong people in this situation are being punished. Punish the adults for their wrongs. Not the children who don't know any better. Sure it would give them a taste of their own medicine. But at the end of the book they were trying to make a better society. By doing the exact same thing showed that they hadn't changed or grown into a better society in my opinion. What does the murder of children accomplish in the end other than a whole lot of grief and heartache. Would it teach those adults a lesson? Possibly. It would also make them angry as hell and cause more hate and problems in an already problematic society. Murdering children in my opinion is never an ok thing for any reason.

message 11: by Breanna (last edited Dec 21, 2012 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Breanna Gunderson Yes I would have a final hunger games. But,I would send in all the people who ran the games before. I would make them go into the hunger games because they helped kill tributes. But i wouldnt send the normal capitol citizens in because they were raised to believe in that the hunger games were normal. Do you get what im saying?

Wendy I understand the revenge that's on your mind. But after all those things that Katniss went through, she decided against the final Hunger Games.
The game is cruel and inhuman, it seperates families and friends apart. It is the way that Capitol chose to gain its control over the districts. In my POV, I think they are coward, they are afraid of the rebellion because they know they are not good enough that may provoke people.
I would vote no. And yes, those Capitol gamemakers need to be punished, that's centain, but not by doing another Hunger Games, probably another way. Or that would have the same effect on the Capitol citizens as they had on the districts by pulling people into that arena of death: provoking people.
I don't believe that the Capitol children should be punished. They are raised in Capitol. They are taught to believe in the Hunger Games. They watch the games every year they lived through. They know what to expect from Capitol. If you noticed, in the last book, Mocking Jay, not every Capitol citizen is cold-hearted as President Snow, and some of them are purely innocent. They know nothing, they suffer when the rebellion happens.
Well, I don't mean the Capitol is at all good. But that's my opinion.

Moshira El Balamony Well you see, i understand that the children are not supposed to be punished but i agree with Coin when she said "It seemed to balance the need for vengeance with the least loss of life." Hatred will always be there between the people of the Districts and those of the capitol. Either a Final Games was held or not, so why not give some satisfaction for those who lost their children through all these years? Maybe now both types of people might understand what it's like to be in the other's shoes? And actually Katniss voted Yes indeed in the book it says "I vote yes...for Prim." But then, it might do more harm than good. I don't believe in the murder of innocent children but strategically, it may help. To show that no one is better than the others we are all capable of hate, murder and injustice, but some chose morality.

Ericka Scott Nelson I would say no because their society will only truly be stable if they can get away from the "us and them" mentality. What others have said about the Capitol citizens needing to develop emphathy is certainly true, but just knowing that a final Hunger Games was being contemplated might do something. And yes, Katniss voted in favor of the final Hunger Games. Presumably, though, it didn't happen as it was ultimately Coin's idea and Katniss killed Coin.

message 15: by Amanda (last edited Dec 22, 2012 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda If I'd have to pick yes, I'd say that the Capitol children would only have to fight as tributes for 75 years, since that's how long District children had to fight and die, to make it fair...ish...
But really I'd say No because it shows Capitol people that we are better than them and will not do what you did to us. Like, in other words, be the bigger person. Plus, who knows, years later people who are a part of the Capitol might rebel like the Districts did and have whole n'other war. If Districts were said to be "weaker" than the Capitol could rebel and defeat them, then the old Capitol could play the same war card. No just shoves it in their faces saying we are better than you and will spare your lives; so reflect upon your past of vicious pleasures and feel damn lucky!-We could always change our minds!
But, since it was Coin's idea and she died, would Palor follow through with that plan? I'm left to ultimately sit here and sadly just forever wonder.

Hulou I had trouble coming to a solution as well. But I just would think there will always be people like Madge. They don't have a say in it. They are living a descent life but they can't change what is going on. Some people are followers and just won't stand up on their own. Or they just plain can't, unless they want to be whipped at the post. Yes, the capitol and Mayors children are living a better life but it still isn't great. Plus they haven't done anything wrong. It's the parents/ adults. The districts are being punished for something that happened 75 years ago. They know firsthand how horrible it is. They shouldn't make the same bad decision twice. Otherwise they are just as good as the people before them.

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Dec 23, 2012 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah What's the point of rebelling when you are going to have another special hunger games just for the capitol children? Yes, they are Capitol citizens but they didn't choose to have the hunger games. What can they do? They are not as courageous as Katniss and never knew what the other districts were going through. They should make peace instead of having another Hunger Games. Place them in jail instead of the Hunger Games is a better idea, myself think.

Sophie I think of it a bit like a paradox - if they create a Hunger Games for the Capitol citizens, how is that any different from their own previous situation!? Eventually, the people would rebel (sound familiar?) the government would be overthrown (deja vu, much?)and they would find themselves at the wrong end of a gun. If they continue re-introducing the Hunger Games, this scenario will just go round, and round and round. So if you haven't figured out what I mean yet, I am STRONGLY against it and wonder why they would even bother considering it.

Ericka Scott Nelson True, although it was meant to be a final, symbolic Hunger Games, so just the one. I think the Capitol would be too disabled following the war to do anything about it, but it would definitely be starting the new society off on the wrong foot, to say the least.

Sophie wrote: "I think of it a bit like a paradox - if they create a Hunger Games for the Capitol citizens, how is that any different from their own previous situation!? Eventually, the people would rebel (sound..."

Halle Sophie wrote: "I think of it a bit like a paradox - if they create a Hunger Games for the Capitol citizens, how is that any different from their own previous situation!? Eventually, the people would rebel (sound..."

Isn't the idea to only have one games with the Capitol children?

message 21: by Breanna (last edited Dec 23, 2012 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Breanna Gunderson Moshira wrote: "Well you see, i understand that the children are not supposed to be punished but i agree with Coin when she said "It seemed to balance the need for vengeance with the least loss of life." Hatred wi..."

See thats exactly what i was thinking not just purely for vengence. I mean im not trying to sound cold harted i just thought that the capitol children were raised to think the hunger games were good. But the ones who ran it? Thats a different story. In my opinion they should go into the final games not the children.

Moshira El Balamony I just feel so bad for the people of the districts i wish there was something that would give them some sort of satisfaction.

Imani I would say no to a new Hunger Games, and I thought Katniss of all people would too. I understand that the people of the districts want retribution, but sending in kids who have been taught for years that the Games are entertaining makes the Districts just like the Capitol. Sending even more (not-so) innocent children in starts the whole process over again.

Anica (LilNymph "13") Imani wrote: "I would say no to a new Hunger Games, and I thought Katniss of all people would too. I understand that the people of the districts want retribution, but sending in kids who have been taught for yea..."

I agree with you.

Edward Batres I would veto another Hunger Games. It would be repeating the decline and fall of the Roman Empire all over again...

Nakia Graham Children No
Adults.. Yes
And only have ONE more HG with the 24 most powerful capitol adults(who were involved with the other Hunger Games). It may seen cruel and sadistic but I believe there has to be some form of revenge for all those years of pain brought on the districs.

Mikaela Those living in the districts (maybe not districts 1 or 2)resented the hunger games their whole lives, have dreaded and hated it- especially Katniss. So i reckon it is wrong to have a Hunger Games with the Capitols children- they are just making the same mistake the Capitol made.

Pari {Ridhee} When they wanted peace how could they become like the Capitol and choose for a final Hunger Games? If I was in their shoes I would have voted against it.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Nikki wrote: "Children No
Adults.. Yes
And only have ONE more HG with the 24 most powerful capitol adults(who were involved with the other Hunger Games). It may seen cruel and sadistic but I believe there has to..."

I agree !

message 31: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Kittan I think that they should've done something more original than having a hunger games for the Capitol people..
but I think they should make peace and let them be.. peace it is

message 32: by Somi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Somi That's like replacing evil with evil while convincing yourself you're doing good. The results are never good for the people involved.
The Hunger Games were evil and inhuman. Its not just that people died, it the fact that people watched and enjoyed it. Why would anyone want to continue the tradition of allowing people to enjoy watching others die?
I wouldn't even sentence the organisers of the Hunger Games to a final game. Its just to evil.

Bethanie ugh I guess I just feel like it was too repetitive and I feel like in the last book there was just too much death (not including spoilers so don't worry!) but that was my problem with the last Harry Potter book was the death and it just felt like it got to the point when it was unoriginal. Example thought process: I don't know what to do with this character so I'll just kill them off... give me a break.

message 34: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary They could have pretended they were holding the Hunger Games for the Capitols children just so the emotional reaction could be felt by those in the Capitol - & just before names are chosen they are shown mercy by the Districts by not having the Hunger Games at all. Those in the Capitol not in power seem unaffected by real hightened emotions - unless they are in power or it is regarding a Ball/dance or something. If they felt for one moment the horror that the Districts felt then they would carry that with them all their lives. Turning the tables - but showing mercy & compassion instead of doing what they had the power to do, making the Capitol pay with its heart - its children.

message 35: by MJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

MJ Moshira wrote: "Yes, but then again, the children of the districts were killed for the entertainment of those of the Capitol. I mean, they didn't do anything to stop it and that's okay cuz they're just kids but th..."

I'm not sure I get your meaning here. Are you saying that the Capitol citizens didn't try to stop the Hunger Games, but it was OK because the tributes were just kids?

notyourfriend yes/no....

Moshira El Balamony MJ wrote: "Moshira wrote: "Yes, but then again, the children of the districts were killed for the entertainment of those of the Capitol. I mean, they didn't do anything to stop it and that's okay cuz they're ..."

No i meant i don't blame the capitol's children for not trying to stop the games as they're just kids. However how can any child be able to watch and enjoy slaughter and murder? They ENJOYED the games, so why not put them there and see how they'll like it then? But in the end i'd Vote no.

message 38: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Ancient Romes children were taken to the arena to watch gladiators fight & prisoners be eaten alive in front of them & were expected, as a true Roman, to enjoy it. Perhaps that is true of the Capitol - children were raised to enjoy it & not question it when other children faught & died or murdered for entertainment. In our modern understanding this is wrong - but perhaps in the Capitol it was considered normal as it was in Ancient Rome.Still think that the victorious Districts should pretend to hold The Games for the Capitol children - just to shock them into realising the terror & heartbreak the thought of their own children as tributes would be, but then not go ahead with it.

Marri I can understand why some of them voted yes but no they shouldn't have another Hunger Games. And I'm really happy that Katiniss did what she did.