NaNoWriMo 2012 discussion

NaNoWriMo 2012 > My experience with NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (ciao_erin) | 2 comments Just my summary of my novel and my experience located on my blog. Would love any insight!

http://www.neverevererin.com/won-nano...

message 2: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious 2012 was my sixth year of doing Nanowrimo so I guess I have quite some experience now.
First of all, I'm an overachiever. The stories I write for Nanowrimo are to long to simply stop at 50k. The novel I wrote for Nanowrimo was done at about 178k words, then I wrote a spin-off that had about 52k words (unfortunately still unfinished, I only need 2 more chapters). I write fast and I had the entire evening off in November. The thing I discovered for me is that it's better for me if I handwrite a short summary of the scenes I want to write before actually writing them. A short paragraph in my paper notebook easily amounted to over 5k words. (Those summaries were really only 'character A does this and that, character B talks about something with character C', stuff like that so I wouldn't forget anything.)

There's something about being an overachiever that pretty much hurts: The support in a lot of groups, including local writing groups is obviously only reserved for people who can't get at least 1667 words/day done or those who are "on time". That people like me would need to be motivated to never comes to mind. After all, my amount of words made up stunning 3 % of my region's complete wordcount.
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with a beginning carpal tunnel syndrom in December 2011 (I work at a court and November 2011 was full of hearings for me - writing in hearings is extremely tedious and extremely strainfull on the hands, especially since our office equpiment isn't the best). Ever since that I easily tire and have pains. Bad for me that as an overachiever I got the response "You already wrote that much" most of the time whenever I complained about the pain. People didn't get that I was doing this for me, to show myself that even with wrecked hands I could finish something. That I could work on something big.

Oh well, my perspective of the previous Nano might seem a little dark, but that's pretty much how it feels when you can't talk about your wordcount or when you get a bad stare when you participate in sprints and write much more than others. I can write over 1000 words in 15 minutes, though I rarely did it because it's too strenious.

This year I hope I'll cut back on my ranting on Tumblr (since people are not interested in that stuff) and keep my mouth shut whenever I go to write-ins or participate in sprints in our regional online chatroom.

All in all I still love Nanowrimo since it gives me the opportunity to do something for myself with others who pretty much do the same. (I don't aim to publish, I'm already happy enough to get anything written at all. Outside of Nanowrimo I can barely get myself to write anything.)

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (ciao_erin) | 2 comments Sparrowlicious wrote: "2012 was my sixth year of doing Nanowrimo so I guess I have quite some experience now.
First of all, I'm an overachiever. The stories I write for Nanowrimo are to long to simply stop at 50k. The no..."

I commend your efforts with your injured hand! I mean I got behind for awhile and it was difficult some days to get the amount of needed words. But, I'm glad to know I'm know the only one who struggled with this. I felt sad not really able to talk to the community as much. I don't necessarily think anything I wrote as good...I was just able to spit it out faster/easier than some people (I blame it on the fact that I am so verbose in real life). Don't quit :0)

message 4: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (readingwritingtoday) My experience with NaNo: I ended up with a book contract for a hot western romance. NaNo helped me keep on track and form bonds with other writers. Thanks. Tempted by Trouble was a joy to write.

message 5: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) For me 2012 was the second year of NaNo and I loved it just as much as the first!
I'm an overachiever too, so I know what you're talking about. This time I set my personal goal at 100k (or finishing my story, which means about the same). I also had exams in November and was sick for half a week and I know what you're talking about, Sparrow. Mostly I was just told the "But you already have 50k; you won! Stop whining" or something similar. Luckily I met a few other overachievers and we kicked each other's butts when we hadn't been writing as much as we wanted to.
For me, NaNoWriMo is an event to get me writing. I don't write nearly as much as I want to over the year and NaNo is a great motivation. I love the people I met there and we even managed to meet in "real life", which was really interesting because I didn't even know what they looked like.
The only bad thing is the editing I have to do now; I wouldn't ever get a book contract for the manuscript as it is now.
Still, it was just so much fun! Again. :)

message 6: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (readingwritingtoday) I think writers have totally different goals going into NaNo. No news there. Here's a post I wrote after joining the group. I'd love to help any writer who is serious about making their piece submission ready. Let me know. http://susanarden.blogspot.com/2013/0...