We Need to Talk About Kevin We Need to Talk About Kevin discussion

How does We Need to Talk About Kevin compare to Shriver's other novels?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lucinda K I just finished reading We Need to Talk About Kevin and liked it so much that I might want to read some of Shriver's other work. Did anyone else read this book first and then go on to explore her other novels? If so, what were they like? Which ones, if any, would you recommend?

message 2: by IAMLEGION (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

IAMLEGION First I'd recommend "The Post-Birthday World" novel. Which is (2) concurrent stories. One even chapters and other odd chapters. The stories hinge on the single outcome of a married woman's decision of infidelity (a inappropriate kiss) and the ensuing cascading emotions. Both stories have singular remarkable outcomes. The other story, she lets the moment pass and the marriage evolves.

Also, one should read her remarkable book "So Much For That". Honestly, you just can't go wrong with Lionel Shriver's written words. I imagine she has more to tell us soon!

Lucinda K Thank you, Ray! I will definitely look into one of those. Some people had suggested to me that Shriver was a sort of literary "one-hit wonder": that "Kevin" was her masterpiece, and nothing else of hers was very good. I found that hard to believe.

Shawna Seed I second the recommendation of "The Post-Birthday World." It's very different from "Kevin" but brilliant in its own way.

Lucinda K Thanks, Shawna! I think that I've basically decided to get "The Post-Birthday World" in my next order, which will be in a month or two. I'll post a review of it or return to this thread to let you both know what I thought.

Michelle Am I the only one who really struggled with this book, such a snore fest that I haven't finished it yet. She really enjoys hearing herself talk, not surprised her marriage didn't last since she doesn't can it long enough to what anyone else has to say.

Komala Michelle wrote: "Am I the only one who really struggled with this book, such a snore fest that I haven't finished it yet. She really enjoys hearing herself talk, not surprised her marriage didn't last since she do..."
Hi Michelle, I felt exactly the same way as you. Did you end up finishing it? For me it came together right at the end and I surprised myself by finding that I loved it. But I ABSOLUTELY know how you felt!

Kathy I absolutely hated the first few chapters of this book and it is possible that only morbid curiosity kept me slogging through her pretentious correspondence to her 'estranged' husband, in the end the book was worth the effort. Keep pushing Michelle.

Joyce Porteus I felt the same way as Kathy. Curiosity got me to finish the book and to my surprise I liked it. I vow to never read another book written in that style, but I don't regret the time spent. Keep at it, Michelle.

message 10: by Olga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga My first Shriver book was "Big Brother". I found it engrossing and truly original, especially the epilogue. After that I got "Kevin", which I had resisted (too scared) for yrs, and which I am enjoying a lot. On to other Shriver books!

Michelle I just seeing all these comments. I haven't finished it. You've all nearly got me talked into pulling it back off the shelf.

Shuchika Sahay I felt the quality of conversation Lionel had with herself (and i agree her books are conversation with herself ) in Kevin had more range than post birthday world. its anybody's guess what makes for a more interesting conversation - a mother coming to terms with the heinous son at the social backdrop of American influence and affluence or a woman caught in mid marriage crisis.

message 13: by djt (new) - rated it 4 stars

djt Read "We Need To Talk About Kevin" & enjoyed the book even more than the movie (which I watched before reading the book). I, then, looked fwd. to reading more of Lionel Shriver's work and just read "Big Brother." I was so disappointed. In "Big Brother", Lionel Shriver used a very deceptive route in her ending, leaving the reader to feel kind of tricked, and foolish. Don't want to present a spoiler here, so won't explain, other than it was something every writing instruction, ever, warns authors against using. It was pretty trite, and really unexpected coming from an established author. The writing itself was okay, but not sure I'm going to read another Shriver novel. Maybe I'll try "The Post-Birthday World" others have sited here as being a good read.