Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

A Case of Need
This topic is about A Case of Need
Policies & Practices > How to handle pseudonyms

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Lawson | 22 comments Looking at the librarian manual I find the following.

"Regarding author pseudonyms or pen names - some authors write or have written under multiple names. When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields. Original name or other pen names can added and linked via a Librarian Note: in the description field, or using the Librarian Note feature located above the Title field. In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined."

Does this mean that all copies of A Case of Need should have Jeffery Hudson as the author? At the moment there is a split between having MC as the author, MC and JH as the author, or JH as the author for the different editions in the database. Only noticed the issue when I couldn't find the book only to see that it had been filed as Jeffery Hudson for the version that I have shelved.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43548 comments Mod
Eric wrote: "Does this mean that all copies of A Case of Need should have Jeffery Hudson as the author?"

Yes. Those editions which have Crichton on the cover should also have that name as the secondary author.

message 3: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Lawson | 22 comments So Crichton as the primary author, and Hudson as the secondary? Or the other way around?

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Whoever is on book cover goes first.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43548 comments Mod
Hudson first for ALL editions, as he was the author on the first published edition.

message 6: by vicki_girl (new) - added it

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Actually, the name that the book was first published under goes first. In this case Hudson first, and then Crichton. Note, Crichton only gets added to editions with Crichton on the cover. Oldest editions will only have Hudson listed.

From the manual:
When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under.

message 7: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Lawson | 22 comments Ok thanks all, new librarian so just wanted to check before making a bunch of changes. Dont' want to stuff things up.

I've gone through and set Jeffery Hudson (not Jeffrey Hudson which a few of them had) as the primary author and added Michael Crichton onto the ones that I could identify having him on the cover also. If it was published before 1993 it shouldn't have had Crichton's name.