Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > ISBN ??

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3389 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...
(**Disregarding that this book is a giveaway)

Is this type of ISBN valid/acceptable? I have seen many GR authors put in custom ISBN's for their self-pub books.

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Perhaps she means "to be added" or "to be Amazon" since it is due out on Amazon?

Otherwise I would delete it.

message 3: by Deon (last edited Dec 20, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3389 comments this particular is in a giveaway, so i wonder if this is a way to giveaway an ebook edition of a book.

as a general "rule" do we remove author customized isbn's?

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 20, 2012 12:47PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Since in a giveaway already with entrants, probably need a PTB to weigh in on this case. I would have expected the giveaway to do some sort of check for a valid isbn.

I looked and could not find a valid isbn for this book; does look like author used Createspace for others so she may be doing so for this one and getting an isbn. But, until then, not supposed to be able to put in giveaways.

Depending on what oddity was in isbn field, I would usually delete it, correct it, move it into a note at bottom of description or put in the edition note (for example, an edition number, publisher's item/stock number). In this case, that's just wrong. Makes no sense and I can't see how it was mistaken for isbn/asin/bnid/etc—suppose it is possibly a revision number for book or for cover (author page notes an updated cover is forthcoming) but does not belong in isbn field.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Yes I would remove -except if the book is in a giveaway. I would contact GR support and let them deal with it as it looks like it is only in ebook format which is not exceptable for a giveaway

message 6: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Havel (chch) | 12 comments I'm trying to create a giveaway for Daughter of the King by Carlene Havel and Sharon Faucheux. We have two ISBNs, once for the ebook and the other for the print book. I'm not sure which is which. I've tried both for the giveaway. First error says (paraphrased) this is an ebook. Second error, when I try the other ISBN is this isn't in the database. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? IBBNs are ISBN/EAN13: 0615740618 / 9780615740614 I would appreciate any help! If the giveaway wizard suspects an ebook, all data in the submission form is blanked...

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments You set the edition as an ebook not a paperback. I switched it - try now

The ISBN/ISBN 13 you list are actually for one edition of the book the paperback.

message 8: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Havel (chch) | 12 comments Paula wrote: "You set the edition as an ebook not a paperback. I switched it - try now

The ISBN/ISBN 13 you list are actually for one edition of the book the paperback."

The change you made fixed the problem! Thank you so much.

message 9: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Bucchianeri | 7 comments I'm trying to start a giveaway of my novel, The Watch That Could Do Anything. The version of the novel currently listed is the ebook. The print edition will be available in a week or two. I have the ISBN for the print book. How do I proceed to set up the giveaway in advance.

Thanks,

RJ Bucchianeri

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments You need to add the book to the GR database to start with if it is not already on.

You can add your self or post details here and some one will add if you provide this detail

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 11: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Bucchianeri | 7 comments The ebook is already in, but the print book isn't because it won't be available for another week or two. My understanding is that the giveaways can be scheduled in advance. I just want to input the ISBN but that gets kicked back by the program because it thinks it's an ebook. Am I being clear?

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments You need to add the Paperback version with its ISBN in order to set up the giveaway.

THe book does not need to have been published to be added to the database

You cannot use the Kindle edition with ASIN for a giveaway

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42421 comments Mod
The print book can be added to GR in advance of its publication date.

message 14: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Bucchianeri | 7 comments Okay. I'll give that a try. Thank you!

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Deon wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...
(**Disregarding that this book is a giveaway)

Is this type of ISBN valid/acceptable? I have seen many GR authors put in custom ISBN's f..."

From the log, it appears to be "To Be A Announced". I'd remove it if it were not a giveaway, but giveaways must have ISBNs (and sometimes use fake ISBNs just for the duration of the giveaway).

message 16: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3389 comments some other examples of author customized ISBN's

1. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...
2. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Gone and gone.