THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > A week not writing

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil Ostroff (httpgoodreadscomneil_ostroff) | 271 comments My latest novel is off to my formatter and should be ready for sale in a few days. I’m ready to go with publicizing it once it is live and plan on doing all that right after Christmas. It’s been nearly a full week that I haven’t written any new fiction material. That doesn’t mean I haven’t been writing (I wrote the back jacket copy for IMAGINATION and I am posting this blog) just not doing the kind of writing I love most. Though I have been marketing and will continue to reserve sponsorships, I still find I have an extraordinary amount of free time when I used to be writing. I know, those of you with kids are cursing me right now because you probably would love a little free time. That’s not what I’m talking about. It’s like someone who suddenly quits smoking and realizes that the habit had occupied two hours a day. When you’ve had a writing routine for the twenty-plus years that I have, this sudden change can be jarring. Since my mind is so attuned to being creative in the morning I find it hard to concentrate on the business aspect of being an author before the noon hour. Since my planned three month marketing blitz started, I have been selling more books, but I’ve also noticed that I’m not as happy and inspired. I don’t wake with that anticipation of creating a new scene or tweaking an existing one. I’m not longing for dreary, rain-soaked days where I can lounge all day in my jammies and write without the guilt of sitting inside. Essentially, I miss the creative writing process. Though I don’t start a new novel unless an idea comes to me that just won’t leave, I’m already thinking about a few outlines I might draw up. Maybe scribble some ideas. For me, this last week has been unusual in the sense that I feel a bit out-of-sorts not working on something. I may have to lift my self-imposed ban.
http://www.neilostroff.blogspot.com

message 2: by Helena (new)

Helena Schrader | 104 comments I think we all go through this. That's one reason I hate ending a project, actually. I know I'm going to feel empty and even a bit depressed. I suppose it's a kind of postpartum depression, really.

I also find that no amount of marketing or even good sales can make up for the lack of creative energy. I takes as much as six months before I can really start to get excited about a new project.

In short, these transitions are difficult, but so far I have always foiund a new project. And every new project is always better than the last (at least while I'm working on it!)

message 3: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (goodreadscomboydlemon) | 67 comments I am the opposite. I am focused this month on promoting my new book, Retirement: A Memoir and Guide, but I can hardly wait to get started on another, which will be my first novel.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie Spittler (goodreadscomconniespittlercom) | 9 comments Any advice on how to promote and write. I'm working to spread the word about my new novel,Powerball 33, and find my head too focused on promotion to work on my next novel, which I've started, but put aside to do PR on the just released novel.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Roberts (annvictoria) | 9 comments Connie, I've got the same problem just now - been at the promotion aspect of LOUISA ELLIOTT (new Kindle version) for the last couple of weeks, and have abandoned any idea of writing for another week or so. Then will have to be very disciplined about promoting, otherwise will get no writing done at all! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Louisa-Elliot...