Life of Pi Life of Pi discussion

"Tsimtsum" is the word for a certain kabbalistic concept.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzimtzum

I figured this would be of interest to most of you if it hadn't been brought up already. I think that Martel's choice of name for the ship is significant.

Reema Wow this never occurred to me, thank you for sharing! I think the ideas of "empty space" and the section labeled "Inherent Paradox" in the Wikipedia article are particularly relevant.

Carol This is very helpful and to me deepens the meaning of the story. I was looking at it in a similar, but more superficial image, of the colors of the rainbow. We can only appreciate the colors when they are separated out from the white light, although in essence they are part of one light. Each religion is like a different color of the face of God. I noticed that Martel used color a lot, for example the saffron color of Hinduism and the yellow-orange life vests. Each religion has its own charisma.

message 4: by Donald (new)

Donald Shafer This little fact goes long to illustrate the display which the Tron Movie shows.

The Elite rulers like to promote the fallacy that they do not believe in God, but in reality they do believe in God the kabbalistic way...Hypocrisy at its finest.

Who they have always had a bone to pick with, is the Creator, Christ Jehovah. This movie proves that true. Nobody likes being told there are moral limits on what you can do.

Marie the name of one of the japanese men at the end -Okomato I think?- is a brand of condom in japan. see how mr. Okomato protected Pi by choosing the less realistic story at the end? condoms protect too :P

Marie Piscine - english word for "fishlike"

Marie Colors frequently represented:

Orange
Related to Hinduism (2nd Chakra). The ability to accept change. Water. Survival.

Green
Related to Islam and Hinduism. Hope of life.

message 8: by Marie (last edited Jan 16, 2013 01:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marie Richard Parker
• Famous name in the history of fiction and facts relating to shipwreck, disappearance and cannibalism.

Marie Numbers frequently represented:

Three
Creativity.
• Three religions (Christianity, Hinduism, Islam)
• Three deaths are witnessed by Pi
• Three members of Pi’s family are lost
• Three days go by on the lifeboat before Pi eats something.

Four
Idealistic. Practical. Perseverance. Natural genius for planning and building.
• Four animals on the lifeboat (orangutan, zebra, hyena, tiger)
• Four lifejackets
• Four cans of water have been drunk
• Four oars are used in building the liferaft

message 10: by Marie (last edited Jan 16, 2013 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marie about the kabbalistic thing: that's the belief that for something to be created, something has to be taken away, right? well Pi lost his family to have a journey. At least that,s what my english college professor implied

message 11: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Marie wrote: "about the kabbalistic thing: that's the belief that for something to be created, something has to be taken away, right? well Pi lost his family to have a journey. At least that,s what my english co..."

More or less. The wikipedia article describes it pretty clearly; God is considered to have limited himself for the sake of giving the world "conceptual room" to exist in.

Zulhilmi Ghouse Nice =) Thanks for sharing this, Matt (and Marie too).

Marie Martin wrote: "The 32 teeth found on the floating island in the book and film represent the 32 paths of wisdom of the Tree of Life. Shin means tooth in Hebrew and is the 21st letter of the Hebrew alphabet and the..."

woah that was really interesting!