Take the Cannoli Take the Cannoli question

Unrealistic part of Shooting Dad
Ellie Leape Ellie (last edited Dec 19, 2012 03:51PM ) Dec 19, 2012 03:48PM
Why do you think Sarah went with her Dad to see his cannon go off?

When I read this part I didn't believe that a girl who hated guns would be willing to try a cannon. I know she wanted to become "a better daughter", but couldn't she have tried a different way?

I marked this as irony when annotating because I thought the same thing: she hates guns, and a cannon is really just a VERY big gun. However, I think she was at this point desperate to improve her relationship with her father and knew how much this particular project meant to him. She also may have stopped resenting her dad for loving guns so much and began to resent herself more for making such a big deal of it, and therefore wanted to show herself that it WASN'T that big of a deal.

I agree with Sarah (Wu). I think that Sarah (Vowell), at that point, only cared about becoming a better daughter. She knew that whatever she'd have to do, it would have to do with guns. It was actually pretty lucky that at the moment her father was preoccupied with his cannon. It gave Sarah a good excuse to do something with her dad that had to do with guns. The fact that a cannon is bigger than a normal gun is just kind of coincidental (I think that's the word I'm thinking of).