Vampire Lovers! discussion

What kind of vampires do you prefer?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saturnina (new)

Saturnina | 2 comments I myself rather lean towards Anne Rice and other more humanlike vampires, not so much the monster kind. I'm also not too fond of the traditions from old superstitions like not tolerating garlic or flowing water or having to stop and count all the rice or whatever. Although strangely I'm kind of drawn towards not being able to see one's own reflection.

And the thing that bugs me about Dracula is that he himself seems to be the only really intelligent vampire, and *gasp* he's got hair on his palms!

But definitely blood is an essential part of any vampire. I'm just not so interested in stories that have for example mentally feeding "vampires".

Blood, intelligence, beauty. Yummy.

message 2: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 11 comments What I love so much about the Anne Rice genre, is that the reader identifies with the vampire. It is vampire as sensual anti-hero. We love Louis, Lestat, Marius, Armand, Pandora... We root for them, not the victim. If they have to kill humans to live, then hey, deal with it! We're with them all the way! It certainly makes for less "horror", with vampire as protagonist, but why should they be horrible anyway? Unless, of course, you're at the other end of the fangs, and no Dark Dift is being granted.

message 3: by Marci (new)

Marci (bookjunkie71) | 10 comments lestat is a one of a kind vampire. other vamp's must aspire to be like him, he's very cool!blade is also pretty cool. scary vamps dont really do it for me.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments Saturnina-im with you all the way, i like the more humanlike vampires books that dont have all the traditional vampire myths, but i was just wondering besides ann rice what other vampire books do you suggest that are more humanlike?

message 5: by Gracie (new)

Gracie (ariadneinlove) | 1 comments I agree. The blood is an intricate part of the vampire myth today, though not originally. I think it developed with the popularization of Dracula and others. Personally, I love the biting. I love that small surge of adrenaline you get when someone bites you lovingly or roughly.

But above all that, I love that these Anne Rice type vampires are so human because they loath the people they have become. They call themselves "monsters" but they feel like the rest of us. I think the metaphor is there. The human introspection is there. We just need to get over the silly details and go deeper into the internal conflicts of beings who seemingly have what we all desire -- immortality.

Also, I love that they're horrible, life-sucking leeches. If that's not a hit on celebs today, I don't know what is. Lol.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Voigt | 9 comments Hello everyone, new blood here. :)

As much as I enjoy a good, scary, vampire-as-ravenous-undead-monster story, I do find them more interesting when an author addresses them as once-human characters who still have to deal with serious problems: how to hide among humans, how to hunt, how to endure the passing centuries as everything beloved and familiar vanishes. (What WILL Louis and Lestat do if climate change puts New Orleans--along with other major coastal cities--under water in about 200 years from now?) How does the vampire experience the world through different senses, and does this affect the vampire's perception of morality--is it easier to hunt, and maybe kill, if every sight, scent, touch, and sound reminds you that you are no longer one of the human race?

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (darkxangel) | 3 comments ... Speaking of "yummy" vampires, the vamps in Twilight, By Stephenie Meyer, and Vampire Diaries are so human, and yet... they are otherwise.
It seems being partly immortal, and living for a century or two seems to change or lessen your scence of humanity.
I love the vampire books that change the traditional vampire myths, like being "alergic" to garlic, when it is only repulsive because of its strong smell that bothers their heightened scences. Also, that they melt when touched by a cr oss or holy water. The traditional vamp story is also much fun, but can get boring after a while.
But doesn't anyone ever read vampire HUNTER books? Although I almost always root for the vampire, the mind of the hunter is truly intriuging!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (darkxangel) | 3 comments Also, check out::

Vampire Kisses series (ellen schreiber)

House of night series (P.C. Cast)

The Anita Blake series (by Laurell K. Hamilton)

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 15 comments I've read the first four Anita Blake books, and I like them, but they annoy me. What is her obsession with Richard? Richard is such a self righteous boy scout. Jean-Claude is a much more complex and intriguing character. He's seriously underused.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 15 comments I really liked Bones in Frost's Halfway to the Grave. He was a badass, charming, and had a cheeky sense of humor. Plus he accepted himself for who he was. None of that brooding, woe is me crap. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (darkxangel) | 3 comments I just finished the Killing Dance, and was SOO surprised at what happens!! but i am SOOO happy she dumped Richard for Jean-Claude!!!

but my fave charecter out of the whole series is Edward!! he is the awesomest of all!!! (do NOT tell me his fate)

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 15 comments I do enjoy Edward, he amuses me. Jean-Claude is my favorite though. At least in the Anita Blake series.

message 13: by Marci (new)

Marci (bookjunkie71) | 10 comments i agree stuart townsend was a much better Lestat than tom cruise...it is too bad they made that movie soo bad... it could have been much better!

message 14: by Cat (new)

Cat | 1 comments I have to say that I hated Twilight... but a really good vampire book was Blue Bloods... with VERY realistic vampires and their feeding behavior is very interesting!

message 15: by Werner (new)

Werner I can enjoy a vampire book even if I don't like the vampire --and in the old classic tradition, the vampire isn't very likable, being an embodiment of menacing evil. For me, the attraction of those works is the conflict of good and evil, and the inherent Christian symbolism of the vampire legend. Personally, I don't mind the traditional trappings (fear of garlic, inability to face sunlight, etc.); I think they impose some discipline on a writer, and give the story a rootedness in folklore that I like. And I don't care for some modern works, that wallow in violence and eroticism for its own sake --I'm probably the world's only vampire fan who didn't like Rice's Interview With the Vampire!

That said, Rice did break new ground by treating vampires as people with feelings, values, and free will, who make choices about their behavior, rather than being just instinctively evil embodied appetites. Other things being equal, I like those kind of vampires much better --just because they have to drink blood, they don't have to be bad people. So if I were going to hang out with a vampire, I'd prefer one like Angel, or Nicholas from Forever Knight -I know, they're from TV, not from books; and their shows are cancelled, alas!.

message 16: by Marci (new)

Marci (bookjunkie71) | 10 comments mick st john from moonlight seems a cool guy to hang w also, werner.

message 17: by Marci (new)

Marci (bookjunkie71) | 10 comments and now i say the cullen family (sep edward) of twilight series, would be a cool choice also

message 18: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Edward is perfect. He made me fall in love with vampires. I'd also have to say Jean Claude from the Anita Blake series and Eric from the Sookie Stackhouse series. Mean but oh so gentle. That's hot. LOL

message 19: by Kasie (new)

Kasie | 28 comments oohh i heard that blue blood was good i hope it is.i shall get it....i like all vamps new old traditonal and not i think they all bring out good qualities and myths of the vampire it's self. i love the goverment with the vultori of twilight and the truefulness of anne rice's ideas,and dracula is the king of all vamps i would have to say..So i like all vampires!!

message 20: by Terra (last edited Jan 21, 2012 03:25AM) (new)

Terra Synn (terrasynn) | 11 comments While I do enjoy the vampires that Anne Rice created, I now prefer the ones in the Southern Vampire series and in the Anita Blake series. I prefer them because they are in many ways the traditional vampires, but they have come out into the open, they are no longer hiding. They are not the perverbial "monster under the bed/in the closet".

Although I know its all fantasy, if vampires were to start coming out and mainstreaming rl, I would be one of the first to find some, ask questions like do damphres exist and could they turn me and my husband.

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica I love traditional vampires, Bloodthirsty and handsome

message 22: by Trystan (new)

Trystan Vikar (trystanvikar) I love the classical concept of vampires the most. Carmilla, Dracula, Varney, etc. But I also think that were such creatures real, they would have had to adapt with the changing times so I find tales involving vampires that are "dated" yet living in a modern society to be irritating. I think if they were to survive in society, they would be more like the everyday human as opposed to some foreign creature. So I like vampires that are characters with development and personality in their own right as opposed to the "dashing, controlling, all powerful bad boy" cut outs.

message 23: by Genesis (new)

Genesis (genesismirandralove) I enjoy the Edward type. The kind that are sweet and romantic. But personally I also like the bad boy type. Kind like the naughty type I guess you could say.

message 24: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Keddy | 2 comments The Black Dagger Brotherhood and the Midnight Breed vampires are my favorite. Big, mussel, sexy and well endowed. Ready to take on the world at the drop of a dime but can pleasure their mates in every way possible.

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (paranormalromancejunkie) | 9 comments DEFINITELY NOT THE ONES THAT SPARKLE IN THE SUNLIGHT BUT KUDOS TO EDWARD...BUT THEY MADE HIM LOOK RETARDED...I LIKE THE OLD FASHION VAMPIRES WITH ONE TOUCH OF SUNLIGHT "POOF"....HOPEFULLY I DIDNT OFFEND ANYONE BY SAYING THAT BUT I DO LOVE TWILIGHT DONT GET ME WRONG...BUT NO SPARKLE INCLUDED....LOL