Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Recommendations > Need some recs please :)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi !

Like I mentioned in the Introductions folder , I used to be a big fan of this genre , but stopped reading much 2-3 years ago.
In fact except Matthew Reilly ( all of his books ) and The Immortals of Meluha , I haven't really read any other A/A book last year.

I would like to start again in 2013 and would love if I could get suggestions as to books to kinda "reintroduce " me to this genre.

Thank you :)

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Dec 19, 2012 12:50PM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
You might like the Covert One series. It starts with The Hades Factor. It says it's by "Ludlum and Gayle Lynds" but, i think it's more by Gale Lynds than Ludlum.

It's a fun action adventure series. I've read four of them and enjoyed them all. The first one the most though.

There is also the Sigma Force Series which starts withSandstorm by James Rollins.

Rollins also has some fun stand alones. The one I like most is Ice Hunt followed closely by Subterranean and Amazonia.

If you like Ubran Fantasy Monster-Butt-Kickin' many of us have taken a liking to the Monster Hunter International Series that starts with Monster Hunter International written by Larry Correia. Technically this is a different Genre, but, it's full of action, there's no doubt about that.

I also like The Sentry by Robert Crais. This is technically book number 13 of the Elvis Cole series. This one features Elvis Cole's Sidekick Joe Pike. Joe is ...well Joe's just cool, and mean as a snake...in a good way. The Joe Pike series starts with The Sentry and runs on from there. It's stand alone or rather it doesn't need you to read the other Elvis Cole books and, those may be more of a police procedural, private detective type story. Joe Pike's a man of action.

I think I have reviews on all of these, but I'm not sure.

If you like sci-fi that's heavy on action (which of course isn't necessarily this genre, but we appriciate a good rollicking story no matter where it's set), I'd recommend the series I'm reading now as a space action movie, The Spinward Fringe Series by Randolph Lalonde and starts with First Light Chronicles.

No review on that yet, but I'm giving it 4.5 stars for the series. I'm on the 4th book of that I think and it's really fun.

And the first one is free for Kindle.

That help?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That helps a lot ! That is a lot of recs , thank you so much ! I will go and check out all the books soon!!
And let you know which ones I will be trying out.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I could go on more if you like.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Let me finish with these , then I will definitely ask you for more !

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Sure, um... you are going to let us know if these worked okay for you right?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Sure, um... you are going to let us know if these worked okay for you right?"

of course i will :):)

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattipunkin) | 267 comments Some one asked about books based on the Christian mythos. I just noticed this one on sale--The 13th Tribe
by Robert Liparulo. Definitely meets that parameter.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 785 comments The Second Coming by David H. Burton was good. One of the fantasy groups read & discussed it.