Brain Pain discussion

The Spine - 2013 > The Spine 2013 - Description, Questions, & Resources

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Aug 02, 2013 03:13PM) (new)

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
“The Spine 2013” continues our tradition of reading formally challenging and experimental works of fiction. Our nine books for this year are:

To The Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf was first published in 1927 is a high point in her career and one of the best Modernist novels of her time. To The Lighthouse is often placed on lists of best English-language novels of the 20th century, and rightfully so.

Pilgrimage Vol. 1: Pointed Roofs, by Dorothy M. Richardson was first published in 1915 and is the first book in Richardson’s 13-volume Pilgrimage series. In a 1918 review of Pointed Roofs, May Sinclair first applied the term "stream of consciousness" in her discussion of Richardson's stylistic innovations, although Richardson reportedly preferred the term “interior monologue”. For the final discussion of Pointed Roofs, we might compare and contrast her style with Virginia Woolf’s use of interior monologue.

Miss MacIntosh, My Darling, by Marguerite Young was first published in 1965. Young began writing her 1200-page magnum opus in 1947 and completed the book in 1963. The book is available in two volumes from Dalkey Archive – to help reduce wrist strain!

Nightwood , by Djuna Barnes was first published in England in 1936. An edition published in the U.S. in 1937 included an introduction by T.S.Eliot. In 1995, Dalkey Archive Press published a complete version which included sections which were edited out for fear of censorship.

1Q84, by Haruki Murakami was initially released as three separate volumes in Japan in 2009-10. An English translation in a single volume was published in October, 2011. Set in a fictional Tokyo, 1984, Murakami takes the reader down the rabbit hole and back again.

The Erasers, by Alain Robbe-Grillet, 1953, was his first published novel and part of the Nouveau Roman (new novel) trend in France. It appears to be a detective novel at first, but appearances are very deceiving in this case.

Life A User’s Manual, by Georges Perec was published in 1978. It is a dense and complex work that follows the lives of the inhabitants of a fictitious Parisian apartment block.

Giles Goat-Boy, by John Barth was published in 1966 and is an elaborate satire of the academic universe of the times.

For each of these novels there will be one thread for "Questions, Resources, and General Banter". Post any links, reviews, and extra-textual resources here.

There will be multiple discussion threads, one for each weekly section of the works read. The dates and associated pages/chapters will be clearly marked to prevent accidental spoilers. A detailed reading/discussion schedule will be posted for all six books.

Feel free to post any Questions you may have, or links to related Resources in this thread.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 249 comments I'm really looking forward to 1Q84. AND, thank goodness, it IS available on the Nook!! (I think most of Murakami's books are on the Nook.)

I downloaded the free sample on my Nook, which took me halfway through Chapter 4. Now I just have to purchase the book so I can read the rest, but I may be running a week behind (just for the first week).

The only Murakami I've read so far is "South of the Border, West of the Sun" which I loved. But based on what I've read of 1Q84 so far, I think it's going to be a really fun ride (and read).