Christian Readers discussion

The Mark of the Beast and the Seal of God
The Mark of the Beast

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new) - added it

Marc Rasell (mrasell) | 16 comments This book explains the meaning of the mark of the beast, and also the seal of God and how it relates to character and personal holiness.

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle So what is the meaning of the Mark of the Beast Marc? Do tell. :D

message 3: by Marc (last edited Dec 21, 2012 03:58AM) (new) - added it

Marc Rasell (mrasell) | 16 comments Rod wrote: "So what is the meaning of the Mark of the Beast Marc? Do tell. :D"

A mark (charagma) is a sign of ownership, like a mark put on a letter, or some personal belonging. To know what the mark is, you have to identify the beast.

The beast is a power that persecutes and blasphemes, and is essentially the same power as the little horn of Daniel 7, which has the same characteristics and timescale for persecution (1260 days / 42 months / 3.5 years). In apocalyptic prophecy, a prophetic day = a literal year, so 1260 years of persecution. This happened during the Dark Ages, when the church persecuted dissenters and blasphemously claimed to be able to modify divine law, and mediate the forgiveness of sins (for a payment of money).

The sign relates specifically to the Sabbath. Because the greatest authority a person can blasphemously claim, is to be able to change the law of God.

The Sabbath is a sign, where we recognize God as Creator, so to claim to be able to change this to another day, is to set oneself up as being greater than God!

The Sabbath is a sign that we belong to God, recognize that He is the Creator and that He alone can save and sanctify us. Only those with characters like the Lamb will receive the seal of God in their foreheads.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris (khart17) | 2 comments So does this book suggest that the prophecies in Revelation have already happened?

message 5: by Marc (last edited Dec 21, 2012 06:22AM) (new) - added it

Marc Rasell (mrasell) | 16 comments Kris wrote: "So does this book suggest that the prophecies in Revelation have already happened?"

Some parts have been fulfilled, some are present, and some parts future. For example, the 1260 day/year prophecy is past, but the mark of the beast is still future. Revelation 13-14 is especially important now.

"Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;" Rev. 1:19

I go into more details about the time prophecies in another book: Exploring the Heavenly Sanctuary: Understanding Seventh-Day Adventist Theology

message 6: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I had a feeling this was going in a weird direction.

What does Mark 2:27-28 mean to you Marc?

”Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

message 7: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle So what is your opinion of Ellen G. White Marc? Nutjob or prophetess? Just curious. There are many Seventh Day Adventists who totally ignore her influence.

message 8: by Marc (last edited Jan 14, 2013 04:26AM) (new) - added it

Marc Rasell (mrasell) | 16 comments Rod wrote: "I had a feeling this was going in a weird direction.

What does Mark 2:27-28 mean to you Marc?

”Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is ..."

The Sabbath was made for man (anthropos = mankind), as was water, food, fresh air etc. Man needs the Sabbath to reflect on the blessings of the past week, otherwise he will become self centered, that is why man was given the Sabbath.

The controversy Jesus had with the Pharisees was about man made rules governing the Sabbath. Repeatedly Jesus taught people to keep God's laws, rather than human traditions (Matthew 15 / Mark 7).

According to the rules of the Pharisees later codified in the Mishnah it was considered Sabbath breaking to heal someone on the Sabbath unless the condition was life threatening. But Jesus rejected this, and often healed people on the Sabbath, he did not see this as breaking the Sabbath according to God's laws. (I've gone into more detail about this in my book Nehemiah the Sabbath Reformer).

Marc

message 9: by Marc (new) - added it

Marc Rasell (mrasell) | 16 comments Rod wrote: "So what is your opinion of Ellen G. White Marc? Nutjob or prophetess? Just curious. There are many Seventh Day Adventists who totally ignore her influence."

Ellen White taught that we should turn to the Bible to prove doctrine, so I prefer to discuss the Bible. However, there is a Bible doctrine about the gift of prophecy, which was manifested in the New Testament. The best place for into about Ellen White is the official Ellen White Estate.

message 10: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Very safe and boring answers Marc. No reason to chat.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (jokers_knight_out) That's why I wish there'd be a Christian book with hard, unsafe, uneasy answers.

message 12: by Meigen (new)

Meigen | 1 comments Jason wrote: "That's why I wish there'd be a Christian book with hard, unsafe, uneasy answers."

What do you mean by this^? Do you need a book with less fluff and more truth? Why don't you just read the Bible, it has all the truth in there. What questions do you have?

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bryant (matthewjbryant) | 1 comments Meigen wrote: "Do you need a book with less fluff and more truth? Why don't you just read the Bible"

Haha! Nicely put.

With any writing or teaching about such things as 'the mark of the beast' I am always left wondering "How does this matter?". I am also suspicious of any teacher that claims to have revelatory knowledge of a topic that is so mysterious (and deliberately so I would guess) that we are probably expected to leave it as such.

No offence intended; just my feelings.

message 14: by Marc (last edited Jan 14, 2013 04:22AM) (new) - added it

Marc Rasell (mrasell) | 16 comments Matthew wrote:
I am also suspicious of any teacher that claims to have revelatory knowledge of a topic that is so mysterious (and deliberately so I would guess) that we are probably expected to leave it as such.

"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand" (Rev. 1:3)

In Rev. 14:9 the third angel is said to announce his message with a loud voice. It is a very dire warning. The three angels represent the last message of mercy to the world before the return of Christ. So its important to understand them. And there is a blessing promised to those who read the book and put when is written into practice.

Marc