What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Story about brothers and a memory that never happened

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven | 3 comments I have been searching for this work for ages now!

All I can remember is that there are two brothers, and the younger has a distinct memory of breaking up boards in the backyard with his older brother. To the younger brother, this memory is meaningful and something he reminisces about frequently, but the older brother always says "That never happened!" to which the younger brother responds, "it sure was a lot of fun though."

The sentiment to me is what is important. Does it matter that the memory never really happened? Not really, since it brings so much joy to the younger brother. And ultimately, I think the older brother concedes and is willing to say "ok, we broke up a bunch of old boards in the backyard."

To me, this sounds kind of like a piece by Salinger, or a kind of bildungsroman like "Cat and Mouse" from Gunter Grass. It also reminds me of something Heinrich Boll could have written, but I think it's perhaps a bit too whimsical to be one of his. Anyways, I know I'm not giving a lot of info here, but as a younger brother who sometimes remembers things a bit differently than my own brother, I would love to find this story again.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 16, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Steven--no idea what your book is, but I too have memories that my older brother swears never happen. Only in OUR case--I usually have the photos to prove it. :OP I just have a much better memory than my brother does--and too, the things that made a big impact on US as younger siblings interacting with our older sibling are often NOT the same things that impacted them. I have periodically reminded my brother of a book or movie that he introduced me to, and he won't have any memory at all of doing that. Just goes to show, what one person considers significant another might not.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 3 comments I'm with you Ann. I have some memories that I guarantee were put there by someone else, and I have probably given a few memories to other people just by talking about them. If only I could remember the name of this book... it's been driving me nuts for about a year now. Not all the time mind you, but every time it creeps into my head I always feel like I'm on the verge of remembering the title which makes it that much more frustrating! :)

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven | 3 comments Bump to the top.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Steven, are you still looking for this book?