Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Books > How Can I Find Out More About Books by Independent Authors?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Dec 19, 2012 05:55AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
For those of you who have been around me for a while, you know I like to explore Independent Authors as well as better known (or better backed) Authors published through reputable, large publishing companies.

For the Published Authors, finding out about their books is easy...their everywhere.

For Independent Authors, their books are hard to find, and, finding information on them that is from a neutral or trusted source is hard to find.

So, if you read a lot of indie-pubs, where do you get the best information (Other than Goodreads, which is the center of the universe for all books and things written and people who write, of course.)

Post a link or comment as a reader.

(Yes, that means, no self-promtion here please, however, feel free to participate as a reader. This thread is for everyone who reads.)

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I'll be the first.

I came across this website today when i was looking up an author to make sure that they are really an Indie-Author.

http://www.indiesunlimited.com/

Indies Unlimited - Lots of good news here.

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Wergin | 8 comments Well, it's a shameless plug but its also completely honest. I thoroughly believe that my recent novel is really something worth reading for a variety of reasons. People I know have been blown away and now that some reviews from many of the people that I sent review copies to are trickling in, I feel that my sense of pride over writing the book are justified.

Anyways, please check it out. I'd tell you to read the sample but because it is a Genesis story the first half of the book and the second half are almost entirely different. Both are good, but for very different reasons. The payoff is certainly in the tail end and I can't really say why or go into detail about it because my writing style is very plot twisty.

Reign Genesis by Jeffrey Wergin

http://www.amazon.com/Reign-Genesis-e...

message 4: by Edward (new)

Edward Cardillo (edwardpcardillo) There are contests that take Indie books, and on their websites the winners have detailed reviews--such as Readers' Favorite (readersfavorite.com).

I've found some good indie books through The Feathered Quill (thefeatheredquill.com) who also does honest, detailed reviews.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard (richardrfox) | 2 comments I'm an Indie Author and am always happy to answer questions. I need to get cracking on my blog, this is the 21st Century.

I listed a give away for my A/A novel, Into Darkness, and nearly 500 people have entered. Good reviews thus far.

Maybe the group could do interviews of Author members?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 6: by Khalid (new)

Khalid (agencyrulespk) | 4 comments I'm also an Indie author and can tell you find our books is somewhat difficult unless you know where to look. I have had my book reviewed by the folks at Reader's Favorite and promote the heck out of it on different sites. And yes, you can find my book on Indies Unlimited (happens to be a featured book in their online store).

I have done a bunch of giveaways, a massive free download 2 months before commercial launch and am still pushing out copies to qualified reviewers.

Happy to answer any questions that you may have.

message 7: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 58 comments Mommasaysread.com is a site very supportive of indies.

There's also a ton of book blogs so you can follow one catering to your preferred genre.

message 8: by James (new)

James Caterino (jimcaterino) | 1 comments It is a bit of a paradox. If you hear about an author or a book it usually means the author has "made it", signed with an agent or publishing house and is no longer an Indy.

One almost always has to find an indy author either by accident or direct contact at a social networking site since almost all of them are too poor to have an effective advertising budget.

A notable exception is the Goodreads giveaway section. Nearly all indy/struggling writers use this as a way of getting their book noticed. If you like to browse and are patient their are some hidden gems there.

message 9: by Clive (new)

Clive Lee (CoralHare) | 2 comments Any good (indie) ww2 spy novels you know of?

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Clive wrote: "Any good (indie) ww2 spy novels you know of?"

Doha 12
Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins

Those are good.

message 11: by Clive (new)

Clive Lee (CoralHare) | 2 comments Thanks! =)

Btw if you want a free copy of my own ww2 spy novel, (Coral Hare: Atomic Agent), add it to your bookshelf and I'll send you a free copy!

message 12: by Roger (new)

Roger Weston | 81 comments I. Curmudgeon wrote: "For those of you who have been around me for a while, you know I like to explore Independent Authors as well as better known (or better backed) Authors published through reputable, large publishing..."

To find out about new books I signed up to receive daily emails from the following sites:

Bargainebookhunter.com
Pixiescroll.com
TheFussyLibrarian.com
Ereadernewstoday.com

message 13: by Percival (new)

Percival Constantine (percivalconstantine) I don't sign up to any lists, really. As an indie author myself, I do listen to a lot of podcasts by other indies, such as Self Publishing Roundtable, Self Publishing Podcast, Rocking Self Publishing Podcast, and The Creative Penn. If there's an author who appears on one of those shows that I seem interested in, I'll then go check out their books.

I write in New Pulp and there's a New Pulp community on Facebook where other authors are posting about their books all the time. This is another way where I get to keep up and discover new things.

Other than that, recommendations really. Or sometimes I'll just browse the free and cheap lists on the Kindle Store and pick up something that catches my eye.