Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > 2013 reading challenge thingy

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments 2013 Group Reading Challenges.
Hi all! Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I love the group challenge widget thingy. This year we had the challenge about how many of the group reads you would aim to complete in 2012. I admit I am likely to just fail to reach my goal of 12 – must do better next year, huh? I see many of the rest of you have met or surpassed your goal – well done!

I thought I’d expand the number of this type of challenge we have to three in 2013. Along with something along the lines of the current challenge, I’m going to add two new ones. They will be:
1. The Patient Bookcase Dwellers challenge, for all those books you own that have been waiting patiently to be read. If you want to tweak the rules for yourself (e.g. books only count if you own them before Jan 1st 2013, Include books that people have loaned you as well as the ones you personally own) you are most welcome.
2. The Languishing Literature challenge, where you read books that have been on your “to read” shelf the longest. Again, how strictly you want to interpret this challenge is entirely up to you.

Because the challenge won’t let you join before the start date, I don’t see any point in adding them to our group page until after the start of next year. You might like to start your planning in the meantime.

If you are really keen on the “patient bookcase dweller” type challenge, I can also recommend a group here on goodreads which is entirely focussed on helping each other read books they already own. Mount TBR 2013. They do buddy reads (cos it turns out a lot of people have the same book siting in their bookcase) and have quarterly checkpoints to keep you on track. Here is the 2012 version if you want to check out what the group looks like when running.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Thanks Darkpool! Very keen to do all three!

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1478 comments Yes! Though the Patient Bookcase Dweller isn't going to be so easy with the majority of my books having been moving from patient dwelling to hibernation. Still, I have a couple of boxes labelled with uncertainty, so they could do very well for this challenge. It's just a matter of finding them ...

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson | 56 comments I rearranged my bookshelves yesterday and there are three still waiting patiently to be read. If I take on the PBD challenge, this will be the year of the Oversized American Literary Novel - as my three are Underworld by Don Delillo, Mason and Dixon by Thomas Pynchon, and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace - the latter, I am proud to say, I have started! I'll do the Challenge, even though it WILL take me all of 2013.