Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Maha Magdy
This topic is about Maha Magdy
256 views
Policies & Practices > phd thesis

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 18, 2012 04:35PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments This book is described as a phd thesis. No ISBN (or anything else). Is there a policy for this sort of document?


message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
Many theses are actually published -- either in print or as ebooks -- by the university. Assuming this one was, it's ok.


message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)


message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl How do we know that's a phd thesis? Where does it say so? Where are the other details that would normally accompany a published work? All I see is a title, author, and cover.


message 5: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments That's probably not a thesis anyway. Just asked my dad, and the "cover" is actually an Egyptian proverb.


message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
I suggest messaging the user and asking where/how the work was published.


message 7: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 18, 2012 05:12PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "How do we know that's a phd thesis? Where does it say so? Where are the other details that would normally accompany a published work? All I see is a title, author, and cover."

I was going by the author "phd thesis" which Rivka has removed 'cos it was daft.

I will message the user.

EDIT: I hope she speaks English!


message 8: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Banjomike wrote: "I will message the user.

EDIT: I hope she speaks English!"


Worst comes to worst, I could probably be able to message the user in Arabic. I could use the practice!


message 9: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "Banjomike wrote: "I will message the user.

EDIT: I hope she speaks English!"

Worst comes to worst, I could probably be able to message the user in Arabic. I could use the practice!"


I've already sent my query. Alice kept getting involved! If there is a problem I will post here and you can try. I'll post here when I get an answer.


message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Lafon, no reply so far. If you want to give it a try then we can put this book to bed. I just asked the author who published it and where it was published.


message 11: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Banjomike wrote: "Lafon, no reply so far. If you want to give it a try then we can put this book to bed. I just asked the author who published it and where it was published."

OK, I'll probably get around to this tomorrow.


message 12: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "OK, I'll probably get around to this tomorrow. "

In your own time. It is not like anything is going to happen until she ignores us both.


message 13: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Banjomike wrote: "In your own time. It is not like anything is going to happen until she ignores us both."

So I messaged her on the 12th of this month, and no response yet. Shall we give it another week, or just go ahead and do something about it? I mean not everyone uses Goodreads all the time (*gasp* a shock I know!).


message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
12th of this month (4 days ago) or of last month?


message 15: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments rivka wrote: "12th of this month (4 days ago) or of last month?"

Oh, it's only been four days. Time has been moving very slowly for me recently. Yes, January 12th.


message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
I'd give it another week, then.

(Also, if you have extra time, I'll take some of the excess, please!)


message 17: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments rivka wrote: "I'd give it another week, then.

(Also, if you have extra time, I'll take some of the excess, please!)"


I take it back. My time disappeared again. :( No response from the user yet.


message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
Uploaded "ebook" was to someone else's thesis entirely, and user has not logged on since November.

Deleted.


back to top