Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Reading Recommendations > Where to pick up Star Wars again

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments I mostly gave up on the Expanded Universe with Vector Prime. Occasionally, I would pick up things set in earlier times. I liked Shatterpoint quite a bit.

Now I think I need a little fun, light reading in a Star Wars vein. Can I pick up with the Legacy of the Force series or even Fate of the Jedi without missing out on too much?

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments hmmm, I'm not sure. This looks like a job for Ala...

message 3: by K. (last edited Dec 19, 2012 02:57PM) (new)

K. (aoutranc3) If you don't want to miss out on recent events, I would suggest the Darth Bane trilogy - it goes back a thousand years from the films. It's not particularly light, though.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Legacy of the Force wasn't very good. Nor is it very light, as several big named EU characters meet their ends during the series.

I haven't read the Fate series yet, mostly because Legacy put me off of EU almost entirely.

If you want light SWEU, there's the X Wing books and the Republic/Imperial Commando series.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments I don't mind dark or heavy. I don't mind the death of major characters. I just didn't enjoy Vector Prime. Sorry, Salvatore fans. It wasn't because (view spoiler).

Of the SWEU I've read I probably enjoyed these the most (in no particular order):

Cloak of Deception
Rogue Planet
Shatterpoint
Splinter of the Mind's Eye
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Star Wars: Tatooine Ghost
Star Wars: I, Jedi
The Callista Trilogy
The Crystal Star

Anyone read the Coruscant Nights books? Maybe, I'll start with those.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments Went to library. Decided to start with Darth Bane and Coruscant Nights.

message 7: by Practical Mike (new)

Practical Mike | 8 comments Republic Commando series was well written.

I'd recommend going in published order if you are going to jump on the Michael Reaves band wagon. Which I would highly recommend. He's up there with Zahn as my favotite SW author. Reaves seems to have set up his own little niche in Lucas' old playground and there is some continuity that may be spoiled if read out of order.

If you haven't read the Thrawn trilogy yet, I'd recommend them highly as well.

I'm with Ala on the Legacy series... it just didn't keep my interest and I haven't really returned to the GFFA since.

Beware though... some of the books you liked left me flat (rogue planet, splinter, crystal star), but I also dug some of them too (shatterpoint, I, Jedi, courtship). Also... I really liked most of the NJO books too.

message 8: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments I want to second the Thrawn trilogy as well as the Hand of Thrawn duology. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. Plus, (view spoiler)

message 9: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) I would suggest the The Han Solo Adventures if you haven't read them. I haven't read all three yet, but I REALLY enjoyed Han Solo at Stars' End.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Niemeier (brianniemeier) I hate to burst your bubble, but the Star Wars EU is about to be swept under the rug.
http://badassdigest.com/2013/02/11/ri...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

All your link shows is that Kasdan isn't pulling from the EU for the upcoming trilogy.

It says nothing about sweeping the EU under the rug. Which would be silly, considering they've already contracted several books slated for release in the near future.

Anyone who follows the EU knows that the works aren't truly canon and can be retconned out of existence rather easily by any Film/TV show that Lucas(now Disney) puts out. That hasn't changed, and it doesn't mean the EU is going away.

Bubble: Unburst.