Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Hamlet
This topic is about Hamlet
Book Issues > Hamlet - wrong description

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Grace (justonce) | 66 comments For this edition of Hamlet

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

the blurb seems to be of Kenneth Branagh's film version.

Also, it's shelved under the "Cambridge School Shakespeare" series, but the cover displayed here is for the Oxford Shakespeare edition.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Got rid of the Cambridge School Shakespeare series affixed to actual works of Shakespeare. I changed the blurb to the default, although it's still not the best blurb as it has spoilers.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl These are still under a series labelled "Tragedies." I don't quite see the point of that, anyone want to defend it?

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Grace wrote: "For this edition of Hamlet

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

the blurb seems to be of Kenneth Branagh's film version.

Also, it's shelved under the "Cambridge School Shakespeare" s..."

corrected

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

rivka | 42062 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "These are still under a series labelled "Tragedies." I don't quite see the point of that, anyone want to defend it?"

They are Shakespeare's Tragedies (as opposed to his Comedies or his Histories). Maybe Shakespeare's Tragedies would be a better series title?

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl That would certainly be a better title, but is the series even necessary?

I mean, you could have a series called Shakespeare's Plays. In that way, you would distinguish those from the sonnets. But why? Everyone knows which are the plays, and everyone knows which are the tragedies, the comedies, the histories. It's not like putting them in a chronological order would add value, so why even put them in a series?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

rivka | 42062 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "everyone knows which are the tragedies, the comedies, the histories."

Really? I don't, not with a few of the less well-known plays, not without checking.

I see no reason to delete those three series.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl The problem I have with series in general is that every single user is stuck with them, whether you want to look at the series name or not. Because they're glued onto the title. Why should I have to see Hamlet (Tragedies) every time I look at my bookshelf or the book page? I really wouldn't care about the proliferation of series like bad weeds in a vacant lot if I didn't have to constantly see them.

I don't mind seeing them if they're necessary, add value, serve a purpose - like Donna Leon's mystery series, where you have 22 books and it really is helpful to know which book is #12 vs. #19. For most series, they don't add value for me. They detract value.

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Lobstergirl wrote: "The problem I have with series in general is that every single user is stuck with them, whether you want to look at the series name or not. Because they're glued onto the title. Why should I have..."

I'd rather not see 'series' attached to Shakespeare since it implies something that never existed, i.e. a Shakespeare series. However, academics always divide his plays into these 3 categories when discussing his work, so it's not "wrong" to label them that way - just a minor annoyance...

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I mean, the title of Hamlet is not Hamlet (Tragedies). It annoys me that I have to look at a phony title.

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Lobstergirl wrote: "I mean, the title of Hamlet is not Hamlet (Tragedies). It annoys me that I have to look at a phony title."

+1

...so I'm just not going to look at that page - LOL!!!