The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > I need some suggestions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

We're going to Seattle on sat, and I wanna buy ONE new book, and I have no idea what to get. So what do you suggest?

message 2: by Summer (new)

Summer | 34 comments I suggest Making It Up by Penelope Lively.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20...

message 3: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments One new book to...read via flight? Or about Seattle or what?

I need some more information lady!

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 03, 2008 10:28PM) (new)

A new book to read.

We're going to Seattle on sat to hang out, and hitting up the bookstore while we're there.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

message 6: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Well besides Jan. botm (Atonement) I recommend...

Man's Search For Meaning

The History Of Last Nights Dream

Pillars Of The Earth

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

oh...i like books with romance..but nothing too sappy or corny.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) WFE has romance and it's not sappy or corny.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
I say The Eyre Affair if you haven't read it. It's soooo fun and incredibly smart and funny as well as sassy and clever and a great story.

But if you want romance, go with Sarah's recommendation. I haven't read it, but I trust her.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments If you're looking for a light read with some romance and some good old fashioned smut, Jennifer Crusie books are always fun. Janet Evanovich has rereleased a bunch of her Silhouette books from the 80s and 90s. They are fun, quick reads. There are a few characters who you can tell were the basis of Grandma Mazur and Stephanie Plum. Those recommendations are if you're looking for pure fluff. I'm sure Rory wouldn't approve, although I'm sure Lorelai would!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely love the Stephanie Plum books. I've recently read ALL them in the 2 weeks. I'm waiting for her next book to come out. Janet Evanovich writes some pretty good books, but I go through them way too fast, lol.

I've been checking out the group's bookshelf, and wrote down a few books to check out..as well as everyone's suggestions.

message 12: by Robbie (last edited Jan 04, 2008 06:08AM) (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments The Birth of Venus or Water for Elephants

Birth of Venus has non-sappy romance, and it will take you to a different time and place.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I had The Birth of Venus..But it got lost on my trip to Az =( I really wanted to read it.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Wife for Hire is Evanovich's latest rerelease. Elsie Hawkins is in that one and she shows up in another one. Thanksgiving, maybe? She's definitely the basis for gun-toting, big Buick-driving Grandma Mazur. You'll burn through those in no time!

If you want a book that will last you on a trip, I recommend Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. It's about the Nazi invasion and occupation of France. It's a riveting story and the author's story is an amazing one. There's romance in it, but it's not a huge part of it. If you want something light, this isn't the book for you, but I still highly recommend it!