Conan of Cimmeria discussion

Conan > The Hyborian Age Part I

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) The first part of Howard's history of the Hyborian Age.

The thing that strikes me the most about this is the way Howard engages with it as if it is truth. That is what made all of his writing so potent. He believed in his characters' existence. Few authors have that commitment to their characters. But Howard had it for all his characters.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) | 2 comments That was part of why I connected with the stories as well. Howard's carefully constructed pseudo history and backstory of his characters came through in the Conan, Kull and Bran Mak Morn stories particularly.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Palmer | 1 comments I'm reading 'Conan the Buccaneer' by de Camp. What he did is take what Howard had already developed and brought it to life. Basically, everything that Howard ever touched became gold. I only wish I could be half the writer he was.

message 4: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "I'm reading 'Conan the Buccaneer' by de Camp. What he did is take what Howard had already developed and brought it to life. Basically, everything that Howard ever touched became gold. I only wish I..."

Is that the one where Conan is the captain of a Zingaran privateer ship? I loved that one!

message 5: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Simi (IhateTyping) | 2 comments there is no such thing as a bad Conan story in my book.(no pun intended)

message 6: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Simi (IhateTyping) | 2 comments Eric John Stark , Leigh Brackett's chaacter is another cool barbarian.