The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Cindy's 2008 challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments I would like to read 104 books in 2008. I also plan to challenge myself to read beyond my usual "girly" books, to read more nonfiction, science fiction, business, etc. I want to get more than escapism (which isn't a bad thing) out of the hours I spend reading.

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #1 Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
#2 Dust by Martha Grimes

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #3 Carbs and Cadavers by J.B. Stanley
I'm not doing too well in moving beyond the Chic books=-(

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #4 Pomegranate Soup by Marsh Mehran
What an enjoyable book! I'll read something more serious later.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #5 Little Heathens:Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish

#6 The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz

#7 Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwall
#5 was a very interesting look back at a way of life that is gone.
Neither #6 and #7 were the best of their authors' work.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #8 T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton
#9 Bleeding Kansas by Sara Paretsky

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #10 A Case of Two Cities
I am really enjoying the Inspector Chen Mysteries. I had very little previous knowledge of Chinese culture and these well written stories by an overseas Chinese scholar have really been new and interesting for me. Very well written.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #11 In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
#12 Water Lily Cross by Anthony Eglin
#13 Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #14 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper
#15 19 minutes by Jodi Piccoult
#16 Irish Tiger by Andrew Greeley

It was an interesting juxtaposition of books this week, a true story about dying and coming back to life, a fictional story that could be true about suffering that drives a young person to take life and a fictional mystery written by a priest that includes a good bit of theology. Conclusion god is real but doesn't always prevent suffering here on earth.

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #17 The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
#18 The Reserve by Russell Banks
#19 Sword Song by Bernard Cornwall

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #20 Leave Me Alone I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #21 Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King
This novel was a pleasant surprise. It is based on the historical Lady Macbeth, a Celtic princess, as opposed to Shakespeare's version.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #22 The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #23 7th Heaven by James Patterson
#24 Stranger in Paradise by Robert B. Parker

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #25 Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews
#26 The Blackboard and the Bottom Line: Why Schools Can't Be Businesses by Larry Cuban

Cuban's book is fascinating analysis of the relationship between business and public education in the U.S. He does a good job of explaining why this relationship has not lead to any lasting positive educational reform and in its present state is not likely to do so. I finally read a business related book and enjoyed it. :-)

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #27 An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Windspeare
Interesting, well researched historical mystery with a very current message about ethnic stereotyping and the personal tragedy political passions can bring.

message 17: by Cynthia (last edited Mar 30, 2008 04:10PM) (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #28 Remeber Me by Sophie Kinsella
I was totally NOT going to read this book because I am trying to read things of more substance and less Chick Lit, but I was at Sophie Kinsella's event in the virtual world Second Life, and it captured my interest. In fact, this book is pretty deep for its genre. The story really centers on what makes the "perfect life" and the answers are not necessarily what you would expect from Chick Lit. Another theme in the book is how losing some of your worst memories would effect your life. The answer is not a resoundingly positive one. Interesting read.

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #29 The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang
Very interesting in that the key to the mystery was a bit of regional cross-cultural misunderstanding. Written by someone who grew up in China, it was as interesting to me as a study of cultures as it was a mystery.

#30 Hopes Boy by Andrew Bridge
Even this very desperate portrayal of the foster care system is more positive than my experience with it, as someone who has tried to give a leg up to children trapped in it. Even my sister and her husband, who are both attorneys have been unable to save the daughter of one of my sister's former clients by trying to adopt her. I've tried to assist a variety of children, both from my job as teacher and as a place to stay for placeless kids. it has been a largely useless effort. It is truly a blight on America that we care so little and that the powers that be do so little for our most vulnerable children.

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #31 Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
An amazing interesting book about things that affect people's economic and moral decisions. I'm actually enjoying this branching out into more nonfiction.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #32 A Camera, Two Kids and a Camel by Annie Griffiths Belt
#33 the Bishop at the Lake by Andrew M. Greeley
It was rather interesting to read about Blackie Ryan on his home turf. I drove from Detroit to Chicago and back on the weekend I was reading this, passing through several of the southwest Michigan cities mentioned in the book.

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #34 Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst

message 22: by Cynthia (last edited Apr 27, 2008 05:46PM) (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #35 The Sum of Our Days by Isabelle Allende
I always enjoy Allende's magical realist world view. She says out loud things that I only think, but keep to myself, for fear of disparagement.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #36 Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore
I really identified with the protagonist, having left my small town roots early and eagerly. The plot twists were fun. The ending was a bit of a let-down.
#38 Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch
Another book about southern girls, this one starts out with promise and is reasonably well written, but incredibly depressing by the end.
#39 The Red Leather Diary by Lily Koppel
Sometimes truth is more entertaining than fiction. This story began when the author found a dairy among some things her landlord was throwing out, which lead to the true story of a rich Jewish girl growing up in New York in the early 1930's. The author clearly communicates her fascination with the history that unfolds and brings it nicely full circle by ending the book with a present day update of the diary's owner and her friends.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #40 Winter Study by Nevada Barr
#41 Beloved Disciple by Beth Moore -theology at its most accessible.

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #42 Zapped by Carol Higgins Clark
#43 Miss Julia Paints the Town by Ann B. Ross
#44 Home by Julie Andrews
I really enjoyed Home. The events she recounted brought back sweet memories of connected events in my own childhood. In a way I grew up listening to Ms. Andrews.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #45 Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
As one who has been both the mother and briefly the midwife's apprentice, I appreciate the effort, but I could tell it was not written by a mother. Details were a little off.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #46 Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith
#47 Wit's End by Karen Joy Fowler
#48 The Translator by Daoud Hari
Ladies #1 Detective franchise is still going strong."At Wit's End" was only so-so, but the idea of planning a novel in Second Life has had me thinking ever since I finished the book. I will post the SLURL when I have my plan completed. The Translator is a testimony to the power of story. The author is an educated man from Darfur. He just tells his story with very little drama added, just straight talk. It is, as truth often is, extremely powerful.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments # 49 Price of Blood by Chuck Logan
# 50 Careless in Red by Elizabeth George
# 51 rosewater and Soda Bread by Marsha Mehran
I love Marsha Mehran's books.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #52 Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts
Very interesting, more human insight into the beginnings of U.S. democracy.
#53 the Front by Patricia Cornwell
only so-so

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #54 A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz
A good read, but Horwitz really doesn't get most of the rest of the world. He certainly hasn't a clue how to find out anything in Latin America. His commentary is interesting and well written, but I get the feeling he goes about the world like the stereotypical, egocentric ugly America. The nerve of those Dominicans not speaking English, for example.

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments # 55 the Front by Patricia Cornwell

message 32: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #56 Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber
O.K., it's clearly chiclit, but it really healed my stress level, which between my daughter's upcoming wedding, my grumpy husband and a new computer system at work that I am responsible for figuring out is much too high. Sometimes you just have to read something that feels good. This one certainly did.

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments
#57 Sway: the Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori Brofman
This week I made good on my promise to read some more substantial subjects. Brofman's book is a fairly quick read that examines certain human behaviors,especially their impact on the marketplace and how poorly they really often serve our self interest. A must read for anyone in sales or education and training.

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #58 The Post-American World by Fareed Zacharia
A very interesting analysis of America's future possibilities in the global environment and why the choices made by the U.S.government in the next few years are important.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #59 The Soloist by Steve Lopez
An interesting and heartwarming book. Such a shame that it took Mr. Lopez 50 years to figure out that people are happiest when concerned about someone other than themselves. Better late than never,though, and his wakening to this truth makes a darn good read.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #60 A Place Called Canterbury by Dudley Clendinen
What a fabulously written account of what happens when normal, fairly wealthy people reach old age. I must also say that at age 52, it has me thinking about a living will, although it didn't really work out for Mrs. Clendinen as the family had hoped. On the other hand, her son's portrayal of her friends and of his tender feelings for her in her decline is a joy to read.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #61 Quicksand by Iris Johansen
Exciting little summer read.

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments # 62 My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor
#63 Blue Smoke and Murder by Elizabeth Lowell
O.K, so I've fallen off the chic lit wagon again. St. Kilda is just so much fun.

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments # 64 Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander

message 40: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #65 Accidentally on Purpose by Mary Pols
Great true story of one woman's semi accidental journey to motherhood.

message 41: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #66 Best Science Writing of 2007
In spite of the off-putting title, this is one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. It is a collection of science articles published in national magazines, many of which are not necessarily science magazines. There are super-interesting (is that a word?) articles about several different aspects of the brain and the latest brain research, as well as alot of content on global warming and what it means to our future. I would highly recommend this book to all.

message 42: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #68 Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner
#69 The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver- An interesting addition to the Lincoln Rhyme series. Makes you think twice about where you use your credit card.
#70 Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata
#71 Fractured by Karin Slaughter
#72 The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs-chic lit at its finest including the tear-jerker ending
So I have really read an interesting variety of things lately. I have branched out to non-work-related nonficition and am finding I really like to read about science. I still fall back on the occasional chic-lit fix, though.

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #73 Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
#74 Hospital by Julie Salomon Very interesting, extra interesting to me personally because my son is a resident in a Manhattan hospital.
#75 Latehomecomer by Kao Kalia Yang- Every American should read this book to remember what we did in southeast Asia and what we do to immigrants, not for guilt but for knowledge.
#76 Damage Control by J.A.Jance

message 44: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #77 Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer

message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #78 The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King
An interesting continuation of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in which he takes on a young lady apprentice.

message 46: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #79 Black Seconds by Karin Fossum
#80 The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
The Lace Reader was a fabulously different book. It blurs the line between reality and perception, between sanity and hallucination.Utterly delicious.

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments # 81 Boomtown (book 1) Chang's Famous Fireworks
Quirky and fun, good for teens

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #82 Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami
#83 Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #84 The First Billion is the Hardest by T. Boone Pickens
How nice to hear straight talk about the financial markets from someone who has a clue.

message 50: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 72 comments #85 The Trouble with Boys by Peg Tyre
This book is a thorough analysis of the difficulties boys are facing in the academic world. Hint: the trouble isn't boys, its school.

« previous 1