The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Where does one begin?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (iowadreamer) | 41 comments I joined TNBBC a couple of weeks ago, and my e-mail has been inundated with "posts" and "threads" and updates, and I have no clue what I'm doing! This is the first online discussion group I've joined, and I can't even figure out how to read those e-mails. All those brackets and parentheses and html-gibberish. How does a non-techie book fanatic just get to the discussions? And where are the voting results for the March books of the month -- I saw the post for the nominations, but I couldn't find the results. I saw comments from previous months, which sent me straight to the library and caused me to spend two days mentally on the island of Guernsey in 1946 -- and I still feel discombobulated to be back in Iowa in 2009. Thank you for that recommendation! And if anyone sees this post and can give me a quick lesson/tips on how to participate knowledgeably, I'd appreciate it!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I turned off the e-mails unless it is a discussion i have posted in. I come on to the website when i want to participate in the discussions. Go to the "My Membership" link on the right then go to "group discussion update emails"

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments Tracey - the group reads for March are Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

I also turn the group notification emails off. I do get the friend updates emailed, but you can change all of those settings as Elizabeth mentioned - use the "My Membership" link and you can change your settings there.

Two great places to start are the "What are you reading?" discussion under General and any of the "Wanna Discuss This Novel?" links pertaining to books you're interested in. Other than that, poke around and find what piques your interest! :)

Oh, and welcome!

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Their right. What are you reading is perfect. Since you read it, hopefully you browsed the Guernsey thread. Welcome. I'm not technical either, so I know you'll get it.

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hi Tracey, dont feel so overwhelmed. Its really a lovely site. Those email notices are just more headache than they are worth. Shut them off and just browse the threads.

If its books you are looking for, you have hit the payload sister! Say hello to a wild and crazy ride to TBR land!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Tracey!

message 7: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Tracy! welcome and happy reading!

message 8: by Tracy (last edited Mar 01, 2009 09:36AM) (new)

Tracy (iowadreamer) | 41 comments Hayes wrote: "Hi Tracy! welcome and happy reading! "

Thanks for the help, everybody! I'll follow your advice and poke around the web site, as you suggest. And you're right -- I'm already hearing about books I haven't read and authors I'm unfamiliar with -- my list of books to find is getting longer by the minute! And THAT's a to-do list I like to see getting longer!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Welcome Tracy from another Ankeny resident! About time more of us join up!

message 10: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Welcome Tracy!!!