50 books to read before you die discussion

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (Kaligurl_7) | 383 comments Mod
I started reading it this weekend but i havent gotten far, im on Chapter 6... but its interesting so far... i want to learn more about Zootown.
Ive heared great things and im looking forward to reading it. :)

Hope u all enjoy!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Wright (Toomanyhats) I thought Life of Pi was a bit slow at first. It was interesting, but I really wanted to get a bit further into the book. Once I did though, I found it hard to put down, and the ending was remarkable. Enjoy!

message 3: by Mayra (new)

yeah its alot of animal talk, but im excited ive heared great things so im defenetly giving it a chance. :) and the chapters go pretty fast.

message 4: by Mayra (new)

i looked up ?'s to try and get a better discussion going.... ill post a few at a time... hope it helps...

1. In his introductory note Yann Martel says, "This book was born as I was hungry." What sort of emotional nourishment might Life of Pi have fed to its author?

2. Pondicherry is described as an anomaly, the former capital of what was once French India. In terms of storytelling, what makes this town a appropriate choice for Pi's upbringing?

3. Yann Martel recalls that many Pondicherry residents provided him with stories, but he was most intrigued by this tale because Mr. Adirubasamy said it would make him believe in God. Did Pi's tale alter your beliefs about God?

4. Early in the novel, we discover that the narrator majored in religious studies and zoology, with particular interests in a sixteenth-century Kabbalist and the admirable three-toed sloth. In subsequent chapters, he explains the ways in which religions and zoos are both steeped in illusion. Discuss some of the other ways in which these two fields find unlikely compatibility.

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Giovanelli | 5 comments I heard it could be a bit boring, but I want to read the book before I see the movie. I've also heard many great things about the character development which is something a lot of books lack these days.

message 6: by BookWorm (new)

BookWorm | 3 comments i read this book and finished it, it is a really nice story but filled with details that sometimes can get boring...other than that its good :)

message 7: by Mayra (new)

im almost done :)

message 8: by Mayra (new)

i finished it, what do u guys think of his retelling of the story, the "believable one? did u pick up on the similarities?

message 9: by Shashank (new)

Shashank Singh Sisodia hey i watched the movie in the 3d last month... Was fun. But now i will read the book.. Reading book after watching the movie is sometimes even more interesting :-)

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Giovanelli | 5 comments Shashank wrote: "hey i watched the movie in the 3d last month... Was fun. But now i will read the book.. Reading book after watching the movie is sometimes even more interesting :-)"

But doesnt it ruin the book's ending? Well, one could argue that the book ruins the movies ending. In which case this is a paradox and we are constantly faced with the dilema of deciding whether to watch the movie first or read the book first. What a difficult life I have.

message 11: by Mayra (new)

lol i have a friend that tells me i cheat bc i read the book 1st and i tell her she cheats bc she watches the movie 1st and that is faster than reading the book... i prefer the bk 1st and then the movie changes a bit, but they hardly ever change the ending so yeah...

message 12: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Giovanelli | 5 comments Yeah- the book usually comes first so thats what I usually perfer. Plus I'm not that much of a movie person.

message 13: by Mayra (new)

I wanted to go see Life of Pi and it didnt happen... nobody wanted to go see it with me :(

message 14: by Irissska (new)

Irissska | 12 comments I decided to read a book before I see the movie (which I have for a month at least))). I just finished the book and love it. I wasn't bored even once when I was reading it and liked everything. Though some things described in it were just terrible.(((
I liked the first part of the book (life in India) not less than the second part (the ocean). The parts about religion were very interesting. All parts of the book were very interesting.)))
Let's see if I like the movie as much as I liked the book.

message 15: by Adria (new)

Adria Albertini (Adria15) Just started reding it. Only on chapter 3. So far I'm not hooked yet. Hope that changes. I really want to like this book.

message 16: by Sam H Arnold (new)

Sam H Arnold (samharnold) Didn't like this book very much must be honest reviewed it on my blog and was fairly negative I must admit.

See what you think. http://filmingbookreviews.wordpress.com/

message 17: by Sheree (new)

Sheree Tampus | 2 comments I tried reading this book a year ago, but couldn't continue since I found the first few chapters boring. I wanted to like it, but I was hoping for a faster pace. Then I saw the movie, and figured that if the movie was that good maybe the book is even greater. I'm planning to finish this book before February ends, but I need to convince myself to continue it first. I hope it becomes less boring as I continue on

message 18: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 915 comments Mod
Sheree wrote: "I hope it becomes less boring as I continue on."

The movie compressed the first part, all about Pi's boyhood, life in school, and religious proclivities. It is all prologue. The story begins in earnest when Pi's father sells the zoo and they decide to emigrate to Canada, probably about halfway into the book.