Clean Romances discussion

Welcome!! > Introduction and a Question

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Michaels | 9 comments Hi. My name is Michelle McKissack and I’ve been a member of this group for a period of time, I finally decided to emerge from “lurk mode” and introduce myself. First, let me say I’ve enjoyed being a member of this group and I scanned the bookshelf and enjoyed many wonderful books that this group has recommended. My tastes are broader than some of my fellow group members because I will read a book with some sex in it but I can honestly say, I’ve never read “50 shades of Grey”, nor do I have any plans to.

I have a question and wonder if my fellow group members can provide me with some guidance. I have recently published a book that I think fits within the group’s criteria. However, after reading the comments on what a clean romance, it appears that the tolerance on sex, language and violence varies quite a bit.

Before I proceed with placing this book on the shelf, I would like some feedback.

The book is a romantic suspense. There are no sex scenes in it. The hero and heroine do kiss, cuddle and caress, but doesn’t get graphic or fall into groping and fondling. (What my mom called petting). There is some cursing and when it appears it’s because of the character’s emotion in the scene. There are no f-bombs and nor do curse words pepper the sentences throughout the book. The villain has a dark side and a violent nature but it’s on the level of what you may see on police action style shows on TV.

I’d appreciate your counsel. Thanks!

message 2: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 84 comments I went and looked at your book. It looks intriguing. I am interested in reading it. I was wondering if you could give me more info on what words may be used. There are some that I tolerate better than others. Good Luck with your writing and thank you for helping us all find new books.

message 3: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (CarolynLB) | 35 comments I'm agreeing with Teryn. I can't abide the f-bomb (but you've already said you don't use that) nor taking the Lord's name(s) in vain. Plus, there are a few others that I don't want to see in print nor hear, but I suppose I could forgive a d--- or h---, if really necessary to the character's development.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Michaels | 9 comments Teryn wrote: "I went and looked at your book. It looks intriguing. I am interested in reading it. I was wondering if you could give me more info on what words may be used. There are some that I tolerate better t..."

Hi Teryn: Thanks for your comments. Your request for more detail on the language caused me to do a screen and count when I got home from work. It's kinda a tricky business to tell you about the words without using them but here goes:

BitXX is used 3 times - the villain uses it twice in reference to the heroine. Once he scrawls the word on her property when he vandalizes it.

D-mn is used 4 times. No G-D's

AXXhole used once

"What the H--l" once

SOB (spelled out) once

"Jesus" is used by one character (not a good one of the good guys) as an exclamation (This may be a dealbreaker for some readers)

There are a few exclamations where characteers utter phrases such as "Dear God", "Oh My God", or Please God..." (found six instances) ususally in context of a emotional short term prayer-wish.

No f-bombs, no Sh--t

Would appreciate the feedback on whether to proceed with promoting this to the group or not.

Thanks!

message 5: by C. (new)

C. Taylor wrote: "Teryn wrote: "I went and looked at your book. It looks intriguing. I am interested in reading it. I was wondering if you could give me more info on what words may be used. There are some that I tol..."

Using the Lord's name in vain would be a deal breaker for me, but it may not be for others.

message 6: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 84 comments Thank you for the break down. Yes, you are right, one of those was a dealbreaker for me. :( Good luck with it, your book sounds great.

As for the group. I don't think language is included in the "clean romance" group. I believe it is just the sexual content. In my opinion, the way you described it, it sounds like it would fall under the "clean romance" of this group. This is just my thoughts from some of the comments I have read from the moderators.

message 7: by Annette (new)

Annette (AnnetteKLarsen) | 58 comments Sounds to me like your book certainly quslifies to be on the group bookshelf.

message 8: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomSandie) | 24 comments In my opinion your book sounds like a clean romance. A agree with the above opinions on which cuss words I wouldn't tolerate.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Flynn (darcyflynn) | 59 comments Taylor wrote: "Hi. My name is Michelle McKissack and I’ve been a member of this group for a period of time, I finally decided to emerge from “lurk mode” and introduce myself. First, let me say I’ve enjoyed be..."

Your book sounds wonderful! I would certainly read it and not be offended. Best!

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Michaels | 9 comments Thank you for all your feedback. I'm moving forward with placing it on the shelf.

message 11: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomSandie) | 24 comments What is the title?

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Michaels | 9 comments Sandie wrote: "What is the title?"

Someone to Watch Over Me

message 13: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerleeauthor) | 52 comments Wishing you well.