Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading?-December 2012

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 183 comments Mod
Welcome! This ongoing discussion is your place to share what you are reading and what you think about it!

Catya (LizBenAt) (LizBenAt) | 7 comments Hi! so my planned reading for december is to finish the Matched trilogy (I'm almost done with Crossed now) and then re-read The Handmaid's Tale. I'll possibly throw in some Austen as well :)

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb Southerland | 7 comments Mod
I am reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I have hardly made a dent but it is compelling reading, none-the-less. I am listening to Finger-Lickin' Fifteen, as well. Whoa! What a mix! Love that Evanovich!

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I'm reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. Yesterday it was announced that Relin had committed suicide and it appears to be a connection to critism of the accuracy of the book. I had alrady started, and knowing that it may not be true (it would be okay if it was fiction) it making this a book harder to read.

I am also listening to Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence. I finished up listening to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer on Friday, and having a harder time getting into this book.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Deb wrote: "I am reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I have hardly made a dent but it is compelling reading, none-the-less. I am listening to Finger-Lickin' Fifteen, as well. Whoa! What a mix! Love tha..."

I enjoyed both - Unbroken and Evanovich. I can't tell you specifically what happened in each book, but I enjoy the adventures of Stephanie Plum. I even liked the movie, but I have learned to treat them like twins - same genetic material but different beings.

message 6: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (MirandaEricssonKendall) | 37 comments Mod
Catya wrote: "Hi! so my planned reading for december is to finish the Matched trilogy (I'm almost done with Crossed now) and then re-read The Handmaid's Tale. I'll possibly throw in some Austen as well :)"

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorites! I'm guessing that you enjoy it as well, since you are re-reading. Austen is definitely a favorite too, so your December list looks great to me. :)

message 7: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (MirandaEricssonKendall) | 37 comments Mod
My first book for December was Son, by Lois Lowry, the conclusion to The Giver series. It was fascinating and thought provoking, though I didn't feel as much closure as I'd hoped for.
I am re-reading The Hobbit with my ten-year-old,and am working on Tales from Earthsea,the fourth Earthsea book, by Ursula LeGuin.
A good month in books, so far! :)

message 8: by Kelli (new)

I just finished Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich and started reading Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier which is book two of the Ruby Red Trilogy. It's been a slow start because I'm trying to remember everything that happened in the first book but I'm about 50 pages in and really enjoying it.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I just finished the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. I was an awkward, but good read. I'm now back to Three Cups of Tea.

message 10: by Israel (new)

Israel Sanchez | 2 comments I'm reading "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer, a classic that for some reason I had neglected until now.

message 11: by Cat (new)

Cat Miglionico | 2 comments I am reading Lancaster County Christmas & The Autobiography of Ben Franklin. I didn't realize many things about Ben Franklin he was one of our forefathers scientist and so much more

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin | 33 comments I am reading "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight" by Jennifer Smith, the story about a young girl named Hadley who has to go to London for her father's second wedding and meets Oliver, a British boy she runs into at the airport. I'm almost halfway finished and it reminds me of Stephanie Perkin's "Anna and the French Kiss", another young adult romance story. I'm also listening to "1984" by George Orwell for the first time, and re-reading "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" by A.J. Jacobs for January discussion of Bean There, Read That.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Finally finished Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time. I had a hard time reading this with the criticism this book has received. It all seems plausible so I don't know what to think. There were a couple of things I did find to be interesting thoughts to ponder.

I'm going for something light - Knit Two by Kate Jacobs

message 14: by Israel (new)

Israel Sanchez | 2 comments Erin, I've read A.J. Jacobs's book and I found it pretty funny. When he "stones" an adulterer (using pebbles)I was literally laughing out loud. He's a clever guy and his books are always interesting. I read an ARC, so it may changed a bit in the end, but I'm sure it is still good.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin | 33 comments Israel, I felt the same way when I first read "The Year of Living Biblically." Have you read his book, "The Know-It-All?"

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I love "The Know-It-All". I'm very much like him with useless facts. I love how his wife will charge him a $1 for every useless fact he uses.

message 17: by Kelli (new)

Useless facts are good if they help you win trivia prizes! :)

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Currently reading Nortorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich in hard cover, and Bridesmaid Lotto by Rachael Astor on my phone.

Both are quick light reads.

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I also finished Knit Two and Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs. I was trying to get in the Christmas spirit by reading some Christmas books. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens probably helped the most. Which is strange since I've always disliked the story in movies.

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I'm 44 pages into The Tender Bar: A Memoir by J. R. Moehringer. It is a selection for World Book Night and if I'm selected this year I'm debating between this and Moneyball as my selection.

message 21: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 2 comments Just started reading When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. I have never heard of the author and know nothing about the book - I just picked it up at a garage sale for a dime and decided to give it a try. I like it so far!

message 22: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Chantel wrote: "Just started reading When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. I have never heard of the author and know nothing about the book - I just picked it up at a garage sale for a dime and decided to give it a..."

I remember good things about that book and author...very introspective and uplifting.