Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

Frank Nappi
This topic is about Frank Nappi
Frank Nappi (December 3rd, 2012)

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:50PM) (new)

Frank Nappi

I have taught high school English and Creative Writing for over twenty years. My debut novel, Echoes From The Infantry, received national attention, including MWSA's silver medal for outstanding fiction. My follow-up novel, The Legend of Mickey Tussler, garnered rave reviews as well, including a movie adaptation of
the touching story "A Mile in His Shoes" starring Dean Cain and Luke Schroder. I continue to produce what readers call quality work, including Sophomore Campaign, the intriguing sequel to the much heralded original story, and I am presently at work on a third installment of the unique series. Nobody Has To
Know, my first thriller, was just released in October and has received very favorable reviews as well, including a wonderful endorsement from best-selling author Nelson DeMille. I live on Long Island with my wife Julia and our two sons, Nicholas and Anthony.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Who/What inspired you to write your first book?

The “who” is a tough one. I have always had this propensity to write - a love for the written word that to the best of my recollection is ineffable. I really believe it is in my DNA. Now the “what” - that’s an easy one. I always longed to write and write something substantial, like a novel. But for many years, however, I was uninspired -- more specifically, I lacked a topic to explore. I
did not want my first effort to be gratuitous in any way; it needed to be something poignant, something close to my heart. When I met two very special WWII veterans - Mr. Bill McGinn and Mr. Eddie Hynes -- during a Veterans Speaker Program that I initiated at Oceanside High School for my classes, I was inspired like never before. The stories they told me, and our subsequent friendship, became the basis for my award winning Echoes From The Infantry. I have been writing ever since. Thank you Bill and Eddie.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

My favorite author is probably the favorite author of every writer - or at least he should be. F.Scott Fitzgerald was a linguistic genius. He understood the rhythm of the written word the way a composer understands musical notes. There is such an ease and natural flow to his work - tantamount to the way the birds sing. It’s seamless, beautiful and moving. The Great Gatsby, his signature work,
embodies all of these qualities like no other work of American fiction.

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
I suppose my writing space is not that unlike those of other authors.
Well...maybe that’s not entirely true. I do most of my writing in my office at home, a modest room with walls adorned with my most treasured baseball memorabilia, highlighted by a beautiful 16X20 black and white Cooperstown signed photo of Ted Williams which hangs right over my desk. I have other wonderful items in the room as well, including game used spikes signed by Tony Gwynn, an
autographed Sports Illustrated cover celebrating Hank Aaron’s 715th home run and two Shea Stadium seats that I acquired after the Mets shut down the old place. There’s lots more as well. My actual desk is littered with items you would expect any author to have handy -- some practical and germane to the writing process and some which hover I suppose in the realm of the idiosyncratic I suppose. I have plenty of pens and pencils, a clock, an old fashioned
dictionary, and other office supply stuff like paper clips, tape, staples, etc.
The more colorful items cluttering my desktop include a tiny wooden Hemingway House replica I bought while in Key West, a 12 inch Batman figure, New York Met Bobblehead, San Diego Snow Globe, lots of loose family photos and a F.Scott Fitzgerald magnetic finger puppet I received as a gift. It is quite an odd amalgamation of things but it works for me! As far as when is concerned, I am
very pragmatic -- whenever I can find a free hour or two I grab it!

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I have a vague recollection of when I began writing. I can remember writing a story when I was very young - maybe five or six years old. It was about a king who rescues a girl and makes her his queen. Not really sure where the idea came from, or even how good it was. I just remember my mom typing it for me when I was finished and that image always makes me smile. Professionally? I published
my first novel with St. Martin’s Press in 2005 and have had the good fortune of publishing three more.

Where can we find your books?
My books can be found on Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com. Books can also be ordered from my website - www.franknappi.com.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:52PM) (new)

Check Out:

Nobody Has to Know by Frank Nappi
Cameron Baldridge, a popular high school teacher whose relationship with one of his students leads him down an unfortunate and self-destructive path. Stalked through text-messages, Baldridge fights for his life against a terrifying extortion plot and the forces that threaten to expose him. Nobody Has To Know is a sobering look into a world of secrets, lies, and shocking revelations, and will leave the reader wondering many things, including whether or not you can ever really know the person you love.

The Legend of Mickey Tussler A Novel by Frank Nappi
In the late 1940s, the minor league Milwaukee Brewers are foundering yet again and manager Arthur Murphy is desperate. When he sees seventeen-year old Mickey Tussler throwing apples into a barrel, he knows he has found the next pitching phenom. But not everyone is so hopeful. Mickey’s autism—a disorder still not truly understood even today—has alienated the boy from the world, and he is berated by other players and fans. Mickey faces immense trials in the harsh and competitive world of baseball while coping with the challenges inherent to his disorder. An honest and knowledgeable book about overcoming adversity, and the basis for the television movie A Mile in His Shoes, Mickey’s powerful story shows that with support and determination anyone can be triumphant, even when the odds are stacked against him

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:54PM) (new)

Extra post from the Author

He was thinking about a few things:
I discussed it briefly in one of my responses, but Nelson DeMille just recently endorsed my first thriller - which was an amazing moment for me as an author. I am quite proud of what he had to say. He said:

"A haunting, briskly-paced page turner that explores the darkest recesses of the human psyche while propelling the reader through an intricate series of hair-raising twists and turns. Nobody Has to Know is a masterfully written tale that is expertly told. Frank Nappi knows how to
entertain the reader from start to finish."
-- #1 New York Times Bestselling Author Nelson DeMille

He is also participating in three months of blog tours with Tribute books - back to back to back - this month, December, is for NOBODY HAS TO KNOW, January will be my YA Mickey Tussler Series, and February will be for Echoes from the Infantry. You can access all of the blog tour websites at this link:

http://www.franknappi.com/events.html

Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Legend of Mickey Tussler (other topics)
Nobody Has to Know (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Frank Nappi (other topics)