Chicks On Lit discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Read Book Discussions > Infinite Jest - Reading Schedule- UPDATED

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (last edited Jan 26, 2013 12:49PM) (new)

Petra | 1258 comments My copy arrived quicker than I thought it would so I have a tentative reading schedule worked out. It's about 100 pages a week with the exception of Weeks 4 & 5. There's no natural break in the chapter to even it out, so one week is shorter; then next a bit longer. Hope that's not a concern.
I'm not sure how the discussions are usually done. Do we start reading on Dec. 30th or start discussing on Dec. 30th? I will amend the dates on the schedule if discussion starts on Dec. 30th.

Note: be sure to read the footnotes as you go along. They contain information and details. It will be handy to have a bookmark in the footnote section to easily flip to them.

Reading Schedule:
Dec 30-Jan 5: pages 3-95
Jan 6-12: pges 95-198
Jan 13-19: pgs 198-299

UPDATED Dates:
Jan 20-29: pgs 299-379
Jan 30-Feb 9: ps 380-508
Feb 10-16: pgs 508-601 (to: “that was a matter of opinion.”)
Feb 17-23: pgs 601-698
Feb 24-Mar2: pgs 698-808
Mar3-9: pgs 809-902 (to: “knock down.”)
Mar 10-16: pgs 902-981 (end)

This is the edition I used for page numbers:
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace Infinite Jest

message 2: by Petra (last edited Dec 02, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Petra | 1258 comments Setting:

In the novel's future world, North America is one state comprising the United States, Canada, and Mexico, known as the Organization of North American Nations (O.N.A.N.).

Corporations purchase naming rights to each calendar year, eliminating traditional numerical designations, with most of the book's action taking place in The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment (Y.D.A.U.).

Much of what used to be the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada has become a hazardous waste dump known as the "Great Concavity" to Americans and as the "Great Convexity" to Canadians.

message 3: by Petra (last edited Dec 02, 2012 01:12PM) (new)

Petra | 1258 comments The Years in order:
Note: the book is not written in chronological order; it may help knowing what order the years are happening.

Year of the Whopper
Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad
Year of the Trial-Size Dove Bar
Year of the Perdue Wonderchicken
Year of the Whisper-Quiet Maytag Dishmaster
Year of the Yushityu 2007 Mimetic-Resolution-Cartridge-View-Motherboard-Easy-To-Install-Upgrade For Infernatron/InterLace TP Systems For Home, Office, Or Mobile
Year of the Dairy Products from the American Heartland
Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment
Year of Glad

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra | 1258 comments From the Foreword (no spoilers):

“He (DFW) was already known as a very smart and challenging and funny and preternaturally gifted writer when Infinite Jest was released in 1996, and thereafter his reputation included all the adjectives mentioned just now, and also this one: Holy shit.”

“The book is 1,079 pages long and there is not one lazy sentence.”

“It (IJ) appeared in 1996, very different from virtually anything before it. It defied categorization and thwarted efforts to take it apart and explain it………..This book is like a spaceship with no recognizable components, no rivets or bolts, no entry points, no way to take it apart. It is very shiny, and is has no discernible flaws.”

“At no time while reading Infinite Jest are you unaware that this is a work of complete obsession….”
“….there has scarcely been written a more moving account of desperation, depression, addiction, generational stasis and yearning,…..”

“There is humor everywhere.”

“He (DFW) is normal, and regular, and ordinary, and this (IJ) is his extraordinary, and irregular, and not-normal achievement, a thing that will outlast him and you and me, but will help future people understand us…..”

message 5: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3484 comments Mod
I'm going to close this thread to new comments, yet mark it for staying at the top of the Group Read Chat section, so that it is readily available for everyone to reference during our upcoming read and discussion of Infinite Jest. I hope everyone joining in enjoys this book and joins in on the discussion thread. :o)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.