San Antonio Public Library discussion

Complete the following sentence:

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments "People would be shocked if they found out I've never read _____."
There are those canonical works of literature and fiction which many people feel are essential reading, however, despite this perception of universality not everyone is able to carve out time to read them. Recently, I started a minor stir among some friends when I admitted that I had never read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (http://sapl.sat.lib.tx.us/record=b124...) (I know, see... you're shocked too!) As a devout Fantasy reader, this is huge; so, in an effort to save face and prove a point I put the gauntlet on the ground -- surely there are others just like me who have never read a work considered canonical in a particular genre. So, let's hear it.

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 11 comments I'm a huge sci-fi fan, haven't read any Ray Bradbury... shame on me.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 11 comments Also, READ A WRINKLE IN TIME, it's awesome!

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments Holy smokes! You've never read Fahrenheit 451? I think we read it instead of A Wrinkle in Time in my 8th grade reading class... Hmm.

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 11 comments I take that back. I did read the Martian Chronicles in school but don't remember them at all so I feel like it doesn't count.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments Nope, you're right: doesn't count! Hahahahahaha!!!

message 7: by Cris (new)

Cris (CrisM) | 11 comments Never read A Wrinkle in Time? Say it ain't so!!

There are a bunch of "works of great literature" in general fiction I've never read. (No Tolstoy or James Joyce, for example.) But I can't think of anything particuarly shocking to have not read. Sorry, Dan!

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments In certain circles, not having read Tolstoy or Joyce is extremely shocking... some of my literature professors would have fainted from this knowledge; however, since we are fans of genre fiction, it's infinitely more shocking when a noodle-head like me hasn't read A Wrinkle in Time... Sad, but true...

message 9: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (TriciaDM) | 12 comments Ok, I will admit it, I have never read The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments *Faint* Yours may be worse than mine...

message 11: by Cris (new)

Cris (CrisM) | 11 comments *snicker* What a bunch of heathens I work with!

Um. I've never read Slaughterhouse-Five or Do Androids dream of electric sheep?. Is that shocking?

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments Highly! :-)

message 13: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 1 comments I love A Wrinkle in Time, but I think I read Hitchiker too late in life... It was ok, but not earthshattering. ;-)

message 14: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 11 comments I haven't read twilight....

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Bless Me, Ultima. :(

message 16: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (TriciaDM) | 12 comments Tyler wrote: "I haven't read twilight...."
that means you are one of the smart ones!

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments Bless Me, Ultima, Treat yourself if you have a chance: http://sapl.sat.lib.tx.us/record=b1059025~S1 Gorgeous story if you ever get a chance; lyrical and magical, tragic but with an underlying sense of the mythic and joyous.

message 18: by Dan (new)

Dan (dangarciasatx) | 27 comments Tyler: *fist-bump* Neither have I... and I don't plan to. :-)

message 19: by Cris (new)

Cris (CrisM) | 11 comments Tyler wrote: "I haven't read twilight...."

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. After all, you were never a teenage girl. *grin* And having spent time as a teenage girl seems to be the biggest indicator that you'll like the series.

message 20: by Cris (last edited Dec 05, 2012 06:41PM) (new)

Cris (CrisM) | 11 comments Dan wrote: "Bless Me, Ultima, Treat yourself if you have a chance: http://sapl.sat.lib.tx.us/record=b105..."

I agree with Dan. It's not exactly a readalike, but if you enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird, I'd say it's likely you'll enjoy Bless Me, Ultima.

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica (MGarza) | 5 comments "People would be shocked if they found out I've never read The Gates of the Alamo by Stephen Harrigan." This was a SAPL One Book One City selection some years back and I really tried but Harrigan's writing puts me to sleep and not in a good way. I did just read his "Remember Ben Clayton" but I was just trying to finish it in time for our book club discussion. Still not a fan. Some people love this book and ask me what I thought of it assuming I read it already.I just smile and admit I haven't had a chance to read it (or plan to).

message 22: by Julia (new)

Julia (bibliosopher) | 7 comments I've never read Tolkien - please don't throw all your tomatoes at once. ;-)

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) I have never read any of the Wizard of Oz books, even though I have been a children's librarian for more than 30 years; and even though I watched Judy Garland's Dorothy every year for decades.

message 24: by Cris (last edited Feb 14, 2014 08:56PM) (new)

Cris (CrisM) | 11 comments Beverly wrote: "I have never read any of the Wizard of Oz books, even though I have been a children's librarian for more than 30 years; and even though I watched Judy Garland's Dorothy every year for decades."

I can understand that. The movie version is so fulfilling that you don't feel the need to seek out 'more' in the form of the original book.

message 25: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (LeighB) I've never read The Giver or The Wizard of Oz books. Someday but right now, I've got other titles to get read.

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan (leppahcetssalc) | 1 comments I've never read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver. But...I've totally read Twilight. #messed up priorities

message 27: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 11 comments Hitchhikers guide and a wrinkle in time are so awesome

message 28: by Ale (new)

Ale (EIRURA) | 3 comments People would be shocked if they found out I've never read Wuthering Heights. I did try but I gave up. LOL!