The Easter Parade The Easter Parade discussion

What is the theme?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lulu (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lulu I read this book and Revolutionary Road and loved them both. I think Yates is an incredible writer and I cannot wait to read more of his works. However, after reading this one, I realized that both books have a lot in common. Both books have tragic characters that do not live up to their full potentials, characters that are deeply unsatisfied with their lives. What is the message? Does Yates seem to hold any theories on how to live a fulfilling life or is his message that we are all doomed to feel empty and alone as we age?

Sankari Ni Bhriain I wondered that too. I think I read somewhere he had issues with an alcoholic mother. What I liked about these books though is that very aspect, that there were no heros. I like the warts and all view of humanity and that they were still written about, almost gently, or at least without any stabbing judgement. I like that tone.

Audrey_e I think the "we're all doomed" is the message I was left with in the end.

Gappy Thamonwan Characters that Yates created had their dilemmas in their way. I think the theme of the Easter Parade is the fulfilling of wonders which is hardly to be satisfied in real life, especially in the 1950s. Yates' novels reflect the truth of American Dreams which is uneasy living between to be with the dream that they want and to be with reality which is hard to live with.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, this is just a personal opinion. When I first read this book (last year, I think), the first thing I noticed was how the main character's troubles were not much compared to her sister's. I interpreted this story as how like in life, we are so immersed in our own problems that we'd never notice how much others need our help more than we need theirs.

Kαιρός Akimra wrote: "Well, this is just a personal opinion. When I first read this book (last year, I think), the first thing I noticed was how the main character's troubles were not much compared to her sister's. I in..."

I think the two sisters are very different for smartness and intellect: Emily knew well what kind of troubles Sarah had. She was consciously selfish

Alejandro There's always an invisible (but also unbreakable) wall between Emily and every person she tries to love. All this people (mother, sister, lovers, everybody) slowly passes trough her eyes and finally disappear, just like in the Easter Parade. That wall is the theme.