Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Question of the Week > Which Way Do You Swing?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Digital or Dead Tree Books?

I was an ebook hold out for a long time. I wouldn't even consider reading on anything that wasn't on paper. I'd walk right past those Nook displays, nose in the air, as I made my way to the romance section of the paperbacks.

Then one day, on a whim, I bought a Sony Touch and never looked back. A couple years later I got a Kindle and never, ever looked back!

I have over 300 paperback novels sitting on my bookshelves, collecting dust, but man, oh man... I can't give up my ebook.

How about you? Do you have a preference? Or do you swing both ways?? And how do you feel about ebook pricing??

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I used to read nothing but printed books. Was always dead set against electronic books. But after moving into an apartment with less space than I had before, I realized that I had to do something about all the books I had just lying around. I got a Kindle and I wish I had bought one a whole lot sooner. I still love printed books, but having my Kindle is soo much easier.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9533 comments Mod
I'm still more of a print reader when I can be. I do like reading ebooks and I love the wealth of indie books out there to discover. I mainly read review books in eformat right now, especially since I have had a health problem that makes reading ebooks harder on my eyes and gives me a headache if I do it too long. I am backing up my book collections of my absolute favorites in ebooks when I can, and it's a very good adjunct to my paper reading.

message 4: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (Oleofox) | 60 comments I was never against ereaders and ebooks. But after having to move my huge collection of books to a new house I realized that I never wanted to go through that hassle again. Especially since my family couldn't afford to pay a moving company and we didn't have friends to help us move. So we had to do it all ourselves what with previous physical limitations....it was vary hard. Also at the time my right wrist was getting worse in regards to pain caused when holding open real books (And I never break the spines). Now that I injured my other wrist at work 2 years ago my Sony has played an even bigger role in my massive book/reading habit.

I did look into a Kindle but after doing some research I decided on a Sony Touch (PRS-600 to be exact). I chose Sony because I wanted the luxury of being able to shop around for the best price as well as being able to read many formats. I also have fallen in love with being able to change font size even though after Lasik surgery my vision is 15/20.

As for ebook prices....the only real deal that I see is for new releases that are released as hard covers in the real physical world. The ebook version tends to be cheaper. The same is true of some books that are originally released as trade paperback.....depends on the publisher. As for mass markets they tend to be the same price as their ebook counterparts. Which I think is a bit unfair and should be reduced at least to either 5 or 6.99 instead of the average $7.99. I also am really against the limitations publishers are putting on the ability to use coupon codes on ebooks. I rarely ever find a book that I can use a Kobo coupon code on. Which makes me glad that I found duesel-ebooks.com because for every review I write, I get money rewards that can then be applied to up to half of the purchase price of an ebook.

message 5: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (Oleofox) | 60 comments diesel-ebooks.com*

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9533 comments Mod
I definitely think mass market and trade/hardcover ebooks are way over-priced. That's highway robbery!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I agree, Danielle. And I think ebook pricing is even worse. It's a highway robbery, indeed!

message 8: by Booklover (new)

Booklover (Booklover026) | 2 comments What I can't get at my local library or used book store I buy with my kindle. Having a kindle helps if your looking for a book that's not in print or you can't find locally. I totally agree on the pricing tho. It should be a Dollar or two cheaper.

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 377 comments Like a few others, I was against ebooks at first, mostly because I felt it wasn't the same as holding a book and I have a fondness for covers...but then I got a Nook and I really liked that I could lay down and not struggle with a huge hardcover and that I could just dl books and not have to order them or travel to the bookstore(I didn't have a bookstore nearby after Borders closed). Anyways, I like both equally :)

message 10: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments For me ,when I first started reading, it was hardcovers only. Then after awhile I bowed down to the paperback because many of the books I wanted to read wasn't available in hc. It took me awhile to try an ereader but when I did (3 years ago) I chose the Kindle (with the keybord. while I really liked it I still wanted paper books. Then last year I bought my first Kindle Fire and was completely sold. I still have about 400 paperbacks that I own but havent read yetand someday I hope to read them. lol But I now have my new Kindle Fire hd 8.9 andI'm not ready to put it down long enough to read one of the paperbacks. =)

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments I have been using my e-reader for the better part of a year and for any new release, it is my preferred form. That said, I have a large number of DTBs in my TBR pile and if I am looking for a back issue, I go to my favourite second hand bookstore. I am dismayed at the price of e-books, and in Canada, we pay more than US customers. Go figure.
Despite the price gouge (if it went to the author, it would be more palatable), I love being able to highlight and note in e-books and most of all, it is wonderful to travel with one small device, as opposed to a half a suitcase of books! *grins*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Seriously, Steamy, when I went away for a week with my daughters, I had to take a suitcase just for books!

message 13: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments @ Uniquely-Moi & Steamy- I got my first kindle after my husband and I took our family to Hawaii. I had one large duffle bag just for my books,I had brought a mix of hard cover and paper back and in total there were 35 books, plus the one I was currently reading that I carried in my purse. He asked why I needed so many . and I told him that I never knew exactly what I might want to read next so I needed to be prepared. He had to carry the bag and he looked so misserable doing it that I ALMOST hated to tell him that I was way to busy to read much while we were there and I never even finished the paperback that I had carried in my purse. He bought my first kindle a few weeks later. =)

message 14: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (Oleofox) | 60 comments Its also nice to borrow ebooks from my library's selection even when they are closed. Although now that Penguin won't allow libraries to purchase ebooks they published (they don't think its fair that the ebooks can be borrowed an infinite number of times), I have finally noticed just how many of the authors I like are published by Penguin.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 139 comments I don't think anything will triumph good old paperbooks. The idea of e-books is cool, but I'm good with my pile of dead trees. It's just a great, proud feeling to see my book collection in its physical form. Also, I'm constantly staring at screens too much whether it's my laptop, phone, or TV. I wouldn't like to add another screen to the list. Super bad for my eyes.

Fani *loves angst* (FaniP) Just to confirm what others before me already said, I was dead set against ebooks before I got my Sony Touch, thinking they would never compare to "real books". I thought I'd only use it once or twice a month for those OOP books that I couldn't get otherwis except on ebay, but as it happened, it was love at first sight:)

Now I only read a PB once every 3 months at best, and that's mostly because I want to reduce my dead-tree-books TBR that has about 100 books collecting dust. I only buy new PBs for the series that I follow for years, in order to have the whole series in the same format, or when the ebook is more expensive that the PB or HB.

@Ashley: In fact, With the ability to enlarge fonts with a single click, I find the ereader less tiring for my eyes than the old print PBs used to be, especially when reading at night.

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments @Noelle, that is too funny...
@U-Moi it is so convenient.
@Stefanie seriously? I wonder why? Do you think the library supports this?
@ashley when I read from my DTB pile, I find my self looking for the dictionary or highlighter button. I honestly thought I would miss the book form more. But when you fly the airlines don't like you to have them on during take off and landing which is kind of a pain. (And is not based on scientific evidence so a friend who is a pilot says)
@Fani changing font size is a great feature. Do you love your Sony?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

When I first heard about e-readers, I also kept ignoring them! I couldn't see why anyone would prefer e-books in front of physical copies! Then a friend got herself a Kindle and I got to try it out... lets just say I added one to the Christmas wishlist. Ever since, I've been completely converted and haven't looked back once! I love e-books; they're convenient and save space in my tiny apartment. For the most part they're also cheaper than the physical copies for me in Sweden. Except when Amazon decides some needs to be charged up to $5 extra since I'm international and we have a different wi-fi? Or something. I don't even know more than I actually pay "shipping" for them sometimes. *sigh* Obviously I'm not always happy about the prices, but luckily it's not too often they're higher than the physical one.

I spent almost 2 years reading mainly e-books, but now I'm back to mixing! I read a lot on my phone and tablets, which gave me way too many migraines. But now I got myself a new Kindle again and the problem is solved, haha. I had forgotten how wonderful the E-ink display can be! Even though I tend to swing a bit towards e-books these days, just because I won't have to wait 1-2 weeks to get my books over here, I'm definitely swinging both ways now, just to keep a variation for my eyes and head as well as the bank account. LOL. The cheaper option is a good option.

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1700 comments Mod
I've been a paperback girl for so long. Even after I got my Sony I resisted reading from it. It's only after I got my Kindle that I'm turning. The kindle lets me read without extra light so it has become very convenient. I find myself grabbing it more and more.

message 20: by Fashionista (new)

Fashionista  (Fashionista99) | 187 comments I'm addicted to my Kindle iPad APP. I love the fact that I can carry around hundreds of books to read at the same time.

message 21: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (Oleofox) | 60 comments @Ashley -With a true ereader with E-Ink display you don't (or shouldn't) get headaches from staring at the screen). It is the backlighting in iPads/Tablets, computers etc. that cause headaches from staring at them for long periods of time. I have yet to test one of the new readers out there with a lighting feature such as the Nook with Glowlight...so I have no idea if that causes eye strain etc. or not.

As for me, most of the books I read now are in ebook format. The only DTBs I have purchased in the last few years are oversize or reference type books like Kim Harrison's The Hollows Insider.

message 22: by Kryptonite (new)

Kryptonite (SG34) | 406 comments I was paperback for a while. Now I'm mostly ebook. It saves space in the self, you have more options of books to take with you when traveling, and it saves time when you want to buy a book and start reading it that day. But if I really like the book, I would also get the paperback.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've been using an Kindle for iPad more recently and I kind of miss my Kindle. It was easier to hold and less strain on the eyes.

message 24: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I'm a real book girl all the way. Nothing will ever tear me away from my beloved paper pages. It's the feel, the smell, the hunting in thrift stores for new ones to had to my collection or the excitement of getting a brand new one and being the first to open the pages. I'll download songs for my ipod, but that's pretty much the extent of my willingness to pay for a download. I just feel uncomfortable with the thought of my real money going to pay for a file floating in the ether that I can't touch with my hands. I want something I can hold onto, put it in a box and keep forever, or trade in for a new book or something, y'know? Maybe I'm old-fashioned. I dunno. I think I might be getting a Kindle from my step-mom for Christmas, but I won't be using it to read ebooks on, I'll be using it to browse the web and play games. I mean, maybe I might download an ebook file if it's from an author I read a lot, and there's no other way to get the content (like for example, Julia Quinn's Bridgerton 2nd Epilogues, or the couple of Stephen King short stories that sadly are only available in e-form) But if I get an Amazon gift-card with the Kindle, I'm gonna use it to order me some real books for my collection, because it's not too often I get to buy new books, so I am pretty excited for that, lol. I'm going to be resistant to ebooks forever, they'll have to pry my dead trees from my hands when I die :D

Awilk -never sleeps-  (Awilk) | 98 comments I couldn't live without my Kindle anymore. After saying for years that I didn't want one, it came to the point that my bookshelves were taking over every room in my house. Plus paperbacks are really expensive in Australia, and when I first got my Kindle I added up my wishlist on a website for paperbacks and compared it to buying e-books and found the e-books to be only around 25% of the price. Plus I can get so many more books as an e-book compared to paperback, and don't have to wait weeks (and in some cases months) for the books I want.

message 26: by Katya (new)

Katya | 327 comments I own a Nook Simpletouch with Glowlight. I ran out and bought the original Nook as soon as I saw them on the market.

I found it difficult to spend the money because all I kept thinking is, I have to pay for the book anyway, why spend a couple hundred dollars on a devise on top of it? But now if I nook died, I would run out and buy a new one Immediately!

Last year I went to Alaska and took my nook with me. I loaded it up with new books of all kinds, not sure what I would be in the mood for. It was wonderful to have over 500 books at my disposal and I could pack it in my back pack on excursions.

One was a five hour train ride into the mountains and a three hour lay over there in the woods. And I had two flights with layovers and lots of sitting around before I finally boarded the ship. The Nook came in handy.

I packed up the rest of my paperbacks into bags to take to good will this week. I am taking the plunge and getting rid of them to make more space here. I can do it.

Oh, by the way, I have not read a paperback since 2010.

message 27: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (Oleofox) | 60 comments @Katya, I also donated a bunch of my DTBs. Well the ones that book buyback sites didn't want. Most of the series I sold together as a lot on eBay to get cash in order to repurchase my fav. series in eBook format.

So far this year the only DTBs I have read are either ones that I have won from contests or borrowed from the library (I've been unemployed all this year...not by choice and so there has been no money for new releases; although I did manage to get a few by selling off some of my jewelry and other stuff).

Ashley wrote: "I don't think anything will triumph good old paperbooks. The idea of e-books is cool, but I'm good with my pile of dead trees. It's just a great, proud feeling to see my book collection in its phys..."

I know what you mean. I love to admire and fondle my book collection! It's not the same with ebooks if you're a collector, IMO.

Stefanie wrote: "@Ashley -With a true ereader with E-Ink display you don't (or shouldn't) get headaches from staring at the screen). It is the backlighting in iPads/Tablets, computers etc. that cause headaches from..."

I get headaches because a depth perception issue with my health condition, especially with PDF format. The Kindle format is better because of the bold print.

message 30: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (Megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
I don't read anything but electronic books these days. I don't mind paper books, but there is much more convenience involved to have all my books at my fingertips. Another good thing about ebooks is that you can make the words larger. My dad has trouble with his eyesight due to his diabetes, but he is able to read because he can increase the font.

I also like that I can read in the dark. I remember my days as a kid with my flashlight under the covers, and those were great times then, but as a grown up I'd rather just lay in my bed and read. I turn my background to black with white letters, and I find that easier on the eyes.

Fani *loves angst* (FaniP) Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "@Fani changing font size is a great feature. Do you love your Sony? "

Yes, I'm very satisfied with it so far. It holds many books, more than the kindle, is fast, has e-ink technology and since english is not my native language, I love double clicking on a word to bring on the dictionary:) I've become addicted to this feature! And I appreciate the ability to enlarge fonts when my eyes are strained, it makes reading so much easier. Also, two years since I bought it, and it has shown no technical problems at all (knocks on wood!).

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments Fani wrote: "Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "@Fani changing font size is a great feature. Do you love your Sony? "

Yes, I'm very satisfied with it so far. It holds many books, more than the kindle, is fast, has e-ink ..."

And at night, does it have a light?

message 33: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (Oleofox) | 60 comments Sony has yet to come out with a reader that has a light. Probably will be a future feature though since most of the competition has added that feature to their readers.

message 34: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 1 comments I loved paperback and I still do. I love the smell, the weight... but it was becoming a drag to carry them around. I like to read when I travel for holiday and travel at least twice a year. Everytime I will bring my books along. I'll visit a bookshop in the place I am visiting and that was always a treat.

But it was difficult to find EL books sometimes in some countries and I am someone who will 'die' if I cannot read while I am on a plane or bus. Sometimes also, due to luggage and weight issue, I may have to leave a few books behind!

Why not other ebook reader? I am basically lazy and I like the selection in amazon and I hate switching around. I also hate the bright screen on my phone, tablet and laptop and I associate them with work. This is why I finally choose Kindle. Love the ink display and I can switch font too. Switch to Kindle Fire (Love the colour and the lights which mean I don't require a reading lamp) and recently to Kindle Paperwhite which is almost perfect.

I love my Kindle and use it to get books on their publishing dates. I used to have to make a detour to bookshop on their publishing dates and this really save me a lot of time. I am also a fast reader but with the books I have stored in Kindle, I'll no longer ran out of books to read! It is truely a lifesaver.

I love my books and used to imagine having a place full of bookshelf but because I am living in a relatively humid environment, my books deterioriate faster.

I still love the smell of books and I still visit bookstore. But I purchased books mostly through kindle nowadays. And I can't live without it!

message 35: by Mo (new)

Mo (MrsJamieFraser) | 10 comments I always swore I would never cheat on my paperbacks ... but the hubby got an iPad and gave me his Kindle - fell in love immediately with it. It broke so got the next kindle version and then last Christmas, Santa was very good and gave me a Kindle Fire. I love it - totally addicted to it. My price range tends to be around the $5 mark. I think anything over $7 is a rip off but saying that if my favourite author did release a book that I really wanted and it was a bit more expensive I probably would buy it. Got my son a Nexus for Christmas.

message 36: by Katya (last edited Dec 05, 2012 04:49AM) (new)

Katya | 327 comments Mo be sure to tell us how that Nexus is....and any reason you got your son that instead of a kindle fire?

message 37: by Mo (new)

Mo (MrsJamieFraser) | 10 comments Well, it was my husband who looked into all the ins and outs of it and my son wanted the Nexus - will let you know!

message 38: by Cindi (last edited Dec 05, 2012 10:03AM) (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 379 comments Love this thread. I feel better knowing others have many of my same preferences :) I received a Kindle Touch last Christmas from New Boyfriend so was forced to begin using it. I love it for travel and since I have nerve damage in my wrist,it certainly is easier to hold but I miss DTB and the ease of looking back to reread a passage or find something quickly. Several years ago I began the therapy-requiring process of weeding out my collection of paper books so I like knowing I'll never have to go thru that again BUT how I miss seeing my Dangerous Heros on the cover in living color ....Can I change my background to black and use white letters to make it easier to see in a Kindle Touch, does anyone know? I do wish it were easier to see and contrast but I still have my trusty flashlight for reading in the middle of the night after NB sleepily says "Its really late ...".

Oh, and isn't there a lawsuit being settled right now with some publishers who were "price-fixing" on Amazon? I'm getting back like 50 cents for each ebook purchased during some period of time this past year. Isn't that weird, since DTB have had similar prices FOREVER with no consequences ...

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Leighton | 7 comments I prefer paper books, hands down. There's just something about reading a book that you can touch and smell that can't be duplicated with a digital format.

That being said, I do read e-books as well as fanfiction. I currently read them in the Kindle for PC application or pdf file as I don't have an e-reader.

But given the choice, I would choose paper every single time!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Cindi, when did you find out about how much your refund would be? I got an email but I thought it said we would find out in April or something like that.

message 41: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 379 comments Moi, I don't know the total yet because all books purchased are not subject to the settlement, but the paperwork said it would be on a per book basis, averaging 50cents or so, and yes, I heard it will be finalized in the spring too.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Cindi! I thought maybe they had begun disbursing the monies. No such luck!

message 43: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4083 comments Mod
Printed books.

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 17, 2012 07:03AM) (new)

Arch wrote: "Printed books."

Definitely printed books..I love holding the book, turning the pages, and that fresh paper scent as I turn the each page...and always patiently sits on the shelf waiting for me to pick it up again...again...

8)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments I was against e-books. Hated the nook. For the last one and a half years I've started using Kindle. Because I'm still relatively new to ebooks I read books only e-book styled mostly but I miss my books of which are 'dead trees' like you said. I love books that I can actually hold, I hope I stop my addiction to e-books soon and go back to actual books or balance them out accurately.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I had a hard time giving up DTBs for ebooks. I had a Sony to start with, and it was hard to use, so I still read a lot of DTBs. But then I got my Kindle... now I have a hard time reading anything but ebooks!

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim (Kimmi624) | 133 comments I actually love them both equally. I love the look, smell & feel of "real" books, but I read faster on my Kindle for some reason. Plus it's easier to read my Kindle while I eat lunch at work because I only need one hand to hold it. Traveling is also easier with my Kindle...I can take 100 books on the plane and the weight is under a pound. I go back & forth between the two and I probably always will.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I love the smell of a print book.

message 49: by Alisa (new)

Alisa I like both. I still love going to the library and bookstores and just wandering around and touching and looking at books. But I love my kindle for the ease, the storage, etc. I generally make a decision based on price. I will do whichever lets me get the book the least expensive way.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Alisa wrote: "I will do whichever lets me get the book the least expensive way. "

More and more people feel the same way!!

« previous 1