Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Ratings on books not published yet...

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.J. (new)

R.J. | 4 comments Hi... http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... is a rating on one of my books that isn't actually published until March 25th 2013. No one has read this book. I attempted to contact the person who rated but haven't had a reply. Could someone advise on the procedure to removed this rating?

Regards. RJ.

message 2: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 01, 2012 03:52AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Goodreads won't remove reviews except in extreme cases. There is no way they will remove two reviews that are entirely positive in tone.

Treat it as free advertising.

EDIT: the book
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 01, 2012 04:09AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I agree, goodreads isn't going to remove—but I think author meant the 3-star rating someone gave the book with no comment or review. I wanted to mention, in case author not familiar with goodreads rating scale that it differs from amazon and other bookseller sites which consider 3-stars "it was okay"; goodreads scales says 3-star = "I like it" and 2-stars = "it was okay" (well what it says when mousing/clicking on stars; individual members often interpret their own way).

Part of goodreads policy to let unreleased works get rated is because lots of 'the books have advanced reading copies running around leading to reviews and ratings before official publish date.

message 4: by R.J. (new)

R.J. | 4 comments No... what i mean is... someone has rated my book... which isn't out until March and hasn't even been read by my editor a 3... There are NO advanced copies... I am the only one who has read it.

this is impossible... and wrong... and needs to be removed... I am more than happy with threes... on books people have actually read... :(

RJ

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 01, 2012 04:54AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Removing reviews isn't something a librarian can do; you'll need to send the request to goodreads staff (who don't work weekends).

And a book not being published yet has never been a reason for removing ratings or reviews.

If you ask for the book to be deleted, it will disappear from the "to read" shelves of readers who wishlisted here at goodreads (and enough members have shelved the book that regular librarians can't delete, so, again, request would need to be escalated past librarians).

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments People use the rating system for different things including"

1) Excitement about reading a book
2) Priority they want to read the book in when published

GR will not remove the ratings

There are a number of threads on this is in the GR Feedback group - if you want to read those do a search in that group for the threads

message 7: by R.J. (new)

R.J. | 4 comments Well I never... what an odd situation... maybe there should be a *pre* launch rating for excitement... ROFL... never mind...

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 01, 2012 04:58AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments R.J. wrote: "Well I never... what an odd situation... maybe there should be a *pre* launch rating for excitement... ROFL... never mind..."

I know what you mean. Lots of suggestions and arguing over n the feedback groups on ratings before reading.

The pre-launch buzz can be good unless you get the hundreds of 5-star and 1-star ratings mixed (some of which will actually review that they are just rating that way to counter all the stupids rating the other way before book even read) mess some books get.

message 9: by R.J. (new)

R.J. | 4 comments I've just never had it happen before... it is most odd... also it's on a gay romance book from someone who doesn't appear to read that genre... leading me to think it's a mistake... :(

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.