UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Third Rule - Andrew Barrett

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments Genre - Crime/thriller

Readers became sucked in to the story of Eddie Collins, Scenes of Crime officer, whose life changes drastically. We felt it went further than most police procedural books in that it explored the minds of the characters very deeply. It is set in a sort of parallel Britain where Capital Punishment is reintroduced. There's tragedy, excitement, deceit, corruption. The book is a great reading experience and those who read it couldn't help but continue with the other two books in the series.
One reader even suggested recommending the whole trilogy. Without hesitation, we awarded it 3 acorns - a Must Read book.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Thank you, Oak Tree. I feel very humbled to have another one of my books featured in Goodreads Group Books.

I'm utterly delighted it's been awarded 3 acorns too, how wonderful. I hope people enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it; it gave me a great deal of satisfaction :)

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments Hey, that's a great choice.
A very satisfying read too Andy.

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments I've read this three times (and the other two in the series - no wonder I don't get through so many books as some people!) and I have rarely felt so emotionally engaged with the characters and the story.
I'm rather sorry to have exhausted Andy Barrett's Collected Works and I really hope there'll be more to come.

message 6: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17874 comments Andrew wrote: "Thank you, Oak Tree. I feel very humbled to have another one of my books featured in Goodreads Group Books.

I'm utterly delighted it's been awarded 3 acorns too, how wonderful. I hope people enjoy..."

Who are you bribing Andrew?

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments If you can write like that you don't need to bribe people Jud!

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Hmmm...

message 9: by Andrew (last edited Dec 09, 2012 03:19PM) (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments I found them, all four of them, sitting in a huddle staring at each other across a scratched table. An oil filled lamp suspended from the ceiling by a chain, swung on a breeze just above their heads. That breeze ripped a twist of smoke from its soot-blackened chimney.
I heeled the door closed and stared at them. “Do it,” I said, waving the envelope.
In the centre of the table a sheet of paper bearing a short list of names typed in red ink - mine among them - stared back at them. The nomination page was weighed down with a golden pen; a droplet of ink formed on the nib and then fell to the paper. The four looked at each other, slackening ties, tapping nervous fingers on the table, rubbing sweat from top lips.
“Do we have to? Really?”
“Not at all,” I reached into the envelope and scattered the Polaroids like tossing bread to the pigeons. “But these go public if you don't.”
There were gasps as four pairs of eyes studied the pictures. And then, as accusing eyes met guilty eyes, a smile spread across the four faces; a relief that slackened shoulders, a giggle and a chortle left me confused.
“You can’t bribe us with these, Andy,” said one.
“UKAKF already know we partake in Jaffa cake smearing contests,” said a second.
“Yes, GL and Patti are the umpires!” The third ruled.
The fourth said, “It’ll take much more that this for you to bribe us for the Group Book again, you moron!”
“Really?”
“Really, really,” they said.
“Bugger,” I opened my wallet. “Will a tenner each be okay?”
“Yeah, yeah, that’s fine,” they said, reaching for the pen.
"And you have to vote for me in the next group writing contest."

So Jud, all that surveillance was a waste of time, I suppose. And it turns out you were correct after all. Hope I make me forty quid back!

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Ignite wrote: "I've read this three times (and the other two in the series - no wonder I don't get through so many books as some people!) and I have rarely felt so emotionally engaged with the characters and the ..."

Ignite, there is more to come. It's coming along quite slowly though, but I'm making progress.

Angel, my WiP working title, features street gangs, dating sites, the rekindling of a lost friendship, and how best to deal with nuisance calls from work.

Eddie returns as our lead player and despite years passing since his last outing, you'll be pleased to know he's still an imature idiot whose idea of a good night out is still being alive in the morning.

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments Oh goodie. I didn't like Eddie in the first book, hoped for the best for him by the second and was really rooting for him in third. Some can write an unpleasant character, some can write a nice person. I think the sign of skill is that, gradually, you can change my mind.
Come on you Angel!

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Yep, I admit that Eddie can be a little caustic at times. As far as he's concerned, he's just being him. He is sarcastic and a little abrasive, but I think that's half his appeal, don't you?

He says things on the spot that I'd only think of an hour later, some of them ridiculously funny, and he's not afraid to wear his heart on a neon sign stapled to his forehead. I think with Eddie, what you see is what you get.

And maybe the other half of the appeal is that he isn't perfect, he isn't impervious to life's little mishaps :)

I hope you'll be pleased, Ignite, to hear he hasn't changed at all so far in Angel. He's still a git, hehe.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments What has really gripped me is the way you've described the grief of Eddie and Jilly. It's so raw. Having had a similar experience ourselves this summer (my daughter's stepdaughter was killed in a road accident) and watched her and her partner suffer its so accurate. Did this understanding come from your imagination, observation or experience. Wherever you found your inspiration - it's so real.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Thank you, Lynne, that's great to hear, and very kind of you to mention it.

I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's - and yours - loss this year.

And I'm grateful, and lucky, to be able to say that Eddie and Jilly's grief didn't come from experience, nor really from observation.

I didn't take the grief thing lightly though. Yes it's a work of fiction, but if you're going to write what's inside people's heads when something so tragic happens, you'd better get it right, and you'd better treat the subject with the respect it deserves.

I have a son; his name is Lewis and he's the little guy on the front cover of The Third Rule wearing the Nike cap. He's chuffed to bits. Anyway, when I wrote Eddie's grief I would sit here in silence and picture how it would feel to lose someone so dear in such tragic circumstances. I mean really imagine it until you begin to cry. That's when you're in the right frame of mind for those scenes.

When Lewis was two years old, he ran out on to the street in front of our house. I was trying to catch him, but was still ten yards away screaming at him to stop, and there was no way I could have reached him in time if a car had come along. I dread to think what would have happened if one did. But that's what I did; I thought about it. It makes my fingertips tingle just writing this! That's what I thought of when I needed that emotion. It scares the crap out me.

Thanks again, Lynne. I hope time is kind to you.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments However you arrived at writing about it, you really have captured the emotion. It helps in a way so thank you Andrew.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments I hope I haven't embarrassed other posters by writing. I've just downloaded the other two books.

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments You certainly haven't Lynne. A book is always personal to each person who reads it. We all take our own treasure away from the experience. These books are so stuffed with treasures though. I've nearly worn out my highlighting facility!

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments Thanks Ignite, I love his humour as well. I'm always drawn to the 'Northern" sense of humour as I'm originally from DH Lawrence country.

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "I hope I haven't embarrassed other posters by writing. I've just downloaded the other two books."

Oh my. You have caused no one any embarrassment Lynne! You've shared a tragedy similar to the one I wrote about, and that's brave - so thank you!

And I'm deeply honoured that you complimented me on the book's emotion and humour; I'm so hopeful you enjoy the 2nd and 3rd parts :)

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments I should mention here that The Third Rule - Part One: Atrocities will be available for free on Amazon from the 26th to the 30th December.

I hope you can grab a copy and join in the discussion.

:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Third-Rul...

The Third Rule - Part One Atrocities by Andrew Barrett

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments Whooo... Damn!

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Go on, Ignite, treat yourself (again, hehe).

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments Well, I would, but they tell me I've already bought it! ;)

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments phooey!

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments Its Christmas Eve there are loads of things to do and I'm in a dilemma I HAVE to find out what happens yet I don't want the book to end. Its been a terrific read.

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Hehe, put Christmas on hold, Lynne :)

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments Which are you reading Lynne? Not that they aren't all terrific.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments The last one! Its not often I get so engrossed in a story that I keep wanting to interact with the characters to warn them. Hats off to the plot. Its like a tapestry of threads, I really liked the series..

message 29: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments It might be Christmas day, Lynne, but you really topped it off beautifully for me with that comment, thank you !

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Hi everyone,

Just a gentle reminder that The Third Rule - Part One: Atrocities is available FREE on Amazon tomorrow until 30th December.

Ever wanted a justice system that takes away the criminal's rights, makes him pay for the damage he's caused? How about he's given three chances, and then the justice system takes his life?
Sounds great. But what happens if the justice system isn't as perfect as they said it would be? What happens when things go wrong?
CSI Eddie Collins takes on England's new justice system.

Here's what people are saying about it on Amazon.

"The most exciting and compelling book I have read in a long time."

"...Mix these two themes together and you have a firecracker of a book, filled with well-constructed, multi-faceted characters. Many thriller writers forget to give their minor characters depth, but Barrett does not make this mistake, which makes this book all the more interesting."

"Andrew Barrett is an intelligent and articulate author. He is so good at empathy and we feel with his characters. I love his writing style. Down to earth dialogue is interspersed with brilliantly crafted descriptive prose. I can't believe a mainstream publisher isn't paying this man to write books. The Third Rule is beyond good; it's excellent!"

"This is so much more than a story well told. It goes way beyond being an engaging police procedural to being a novel which explores both the lives and psyche of its characters and in so doing transports the reader from simply reading a good book to feeling they are part of the experience."

I hope you'll take advantage of the freebie, and enjoy a compelling read over the holidays:)

The Third Rule - Part One Atrocities by Andrew Barrett

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments Finished it Lynne? I just went right back and read them all again! Best thing I've read for ages.

Everyone else, get it while it's free - but remember, like Lynne and me - and others, you'll have to read the rest. It's just staggeringly good.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments Yes its finished. What's next? (and quickly please) don't keep your ladies waiting Andrew!

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Flipping 'eck Lynne, that was quick! Really hope you enjoyed it (fingers crossed).

I wish I could write as fast as you all read.

I'm working on another thriller right now with a working title of Angel. It's only about 25k words long so far (a pamphlet really, hehe), and it features our old friend Eddie Collins.

Writing as quickly as I can though. Work always seems to get in the way, ahaha.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5213 comments I will do a review asap but it won't be the same calibre as Ignites ( she's good isn't she ) - mine are more opinions.

message 35: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments All reviews and opinions are gratefully received, Lynne (see the other thread, hehe).
The main thing for me is that you enjoyed it, and that it provoked some kind of a reaction.
Take care.

message 36: by Andrew (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:34AM) (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments It's nearly over.
One more day to go. The Third Rule being the December Group Book for our group.
As I said right at the beginning, it is a great honour to have been chosen, and I'm thrilled and humbled that two of mine have been chosen now.
I've enjoyed the little chats along the way, so to Lynne and Kath, thanks for coming along for a natter.

message 37: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments I'm sure more people than us have read it! Maybe they're not so chatty.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61364 comments I'm digging this thread up because I've finished reading the complete trilogy today.

Folks, I can't recommend it enough.

Read it!

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 23921 comments I'll drink to that.
Mind you, I'll drink to lots of things!
It's beyond excellent though. :-)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61364 comments It really is, Ignite.

Anyone who enjoys a good crime thriller will love it.

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Ah that's fantastic news, Patti. I really am over the moon that you enjoyed it, and thanks for saying so :)

message 42: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17874 comments They are awesome!

message 43: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments Yay, thanks Jud, that's great to hear :)