Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

SPOILER!! Was I the only one who enjoyed this book and thought that the ending was good?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 77) (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Melody I read a lot of hate about this book and I don't understand why. I really loved the ending even though it was so sad! I thought that the absence of emotion in Prim's death made it all the more effective? Thoughts?

Athena I loved this book. I don't understand the hate either. :P

Lelde Bērziņa I loved this book too, but at the same time I felt like some pages were missing, like the author would rush through lines to finih book faster. That's why I rated it with only 3 stars.

Marta Pastori i loved this book and I wish there was more to it. Prims death was aweful, but deep inside, I expected another loss, it was how it was supposed to end. it started with prim, and it has to finish with her.

Lili I also enjoyed it! And I also loved the end so much, I cried over it during like a hour when I finished reading Mockingjay, and I'm not even kidding!

I don't understand why so many hate on Mockingjay, 'cause I think it was amazing!

Kiki~~다은이♥♥ Best book in series.

Storm I loved it, Im so surprised that so many people hate it, it was a little more depressing then the other books, but just as brilliant :D

Kiki~~다은이♥♥ I AM wrote: "I loved it, Im so surprised that so many people hate it, it was a little more depressing then the other books, but just as brilliant :D"

Plus, I think it had the best cover

Kerry Yes, you were the only one, no others, just you. ;-)

message 10: by A (new)

A I thought the ending of "There are worse games to play." Was a little confusing.

message 11: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth <3 this book!

Michelle I liked the book but I wished it was more detailed or something. It felt like it was too easy to read.

Carrie P Loved ALL the books in the trilogy & thought the ending was sad but absolutely write on!

Laura You are not the only one but A LOT of people hated it too.

Govinda Parasrampuria I just loved the ending, made my eyes well up...

Hats off to Suzanne Collins!

Heather I loved it! I loved it even more after I read why Suzanne wrote it the way she did. I have heard she was rushed to finish it, but it was amazing. I love happy endings but I love endings that have reality. This was a war, and a psychologically damaging one for those involved. I have psychology degrees so I completely understand.

Cherie I thought the ending was perfect <3 It wasn't "happy ever after" They had to deal with the horrors of their past, but they still managed to be able to deal with their memories enough to actually have the normal life that they deserved. I cried like a baby when it was over though...

Cheryl I felt the ending book had too much action and less of the characters' thoughts and emotions. I dont think it should've just ended with a short part about Katniss's feelings and thoughts. There needs to be maybe a couple more chapters to really make a satisfying ending. Plus, I really wanted Katniss to be with Gale.

Hannah I loved the ending. I don't get why people say it should have been "happily ever after" because in a way, it was. She had the courage to keep living; she didn't give up. But, it's not the happily ever after that matters, it's the story.

Also there may have been A LOT of action but we got deeper insights into what Katniss was feeling (i.e. the bunker, post-bunker filming, District 2 nostalgia about her father, losing Peeta). It could have been longer, but it left me feeling the way a great book should.

Sydney Many people hate on Mockingjay-and i see why. I felt the same way. But, others love it, and i think i can see why also. No, you're not the only person- just in a minority. Many people felt the ending was unsatisfying, but they were comparing it to the other books. And i felt unsatisfied. But having a best friend in the minority made me see both sides of the story.

Nurlely Mockingjay wrote: "I read a lot of hate about this book and I don't understand why. I really loved the ending even though it was so sad! I thought that the absence of emotion in Prim's death made it all the more effe..."

Don't worry, you are not the only one. Many favored Mockingjay. Mockingjay was Favorite Book of 2010 of 2010 Goodreads Choice Awards with 4002 votes. It means that so many people shared your sentiment.

I love Mockingjay, and I think the Epilogue is well written.
However, I also think that it is rushed to meet the ending. I feel something is missing before I come to Epilogue. I still favors book 2 of the series.

message 22: by Dru (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dru Mockingjay wrote: "Was I the only one who enjoyed this book and thought that the ending was good? "

Count me as those who hated this book and thought the ending was bad.

Mariam Matta No matter how much i hated parts of the book, suzanne collins already carved the quotes into my heart. I'm obsessed, I'll never actually hate it.

Kyrie I actually really liked this book. I felt it was a darker and more realistic in some ways. I liked how she depicted the psychological effect of the characters (though grim and dark). I feel that alot of people were expecting the happily ever after sugar coated ended. But in my opinion, if the author did that, it would loose some depth. The only downfall I would say to Mockingjay is that the ending definitely felt rushed. I wouldn't have minded if she embellished on the ending a bit prior to the Epilogue.

message 25: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I liked this book to but I do agree with the people who said at some points it felt like it was rushed, being written too quickly. It was definitely well written though, even with that said, and was incredibly heart wrenching sad the entire time. I, however, agree that the ending was realistic and well done, but I would've liked it if her love for Peeta was a little more apparent, I almost felt like she just 'put up' with him forever, instead of genuinely being happy to have him. I know they loved each other, especially him to her, but I never really felt the love from her.

Melody Dru wrote: "Mockingjay wrote: "Was I the only one who enjoyed this book and thought that the ending was good? "

Count me as those who hated this book and thought the ending was bad."

Why did you think that the ending was bad?

Rachael I think after everything Katniss had gone through, the emotional and physical pain, the deaths she has seen and the deaths she has caused all in the name of freedom, that the way she was left on her own, dumped back in 12 with not even Haymitch to visit her as he was so stinking drunk, she sat for months in the same room without moving very far or washing, was left sisterless, and due to her weakness and fear of going back to 12 where the memories were Katniss was left motherless. Gale pressumed she would never forgive him for maybe making the bomb that killed Prim and never came back, with his brilliant new job in 2 so therefore left bestfriendless and so therefore ended up with the poor bloke who had no where else to go.. It's awful.

I loved the series not only is the imagination of the author brilliant but she created believable charcters. Lifes not perfect and we don't all end up happy with our soul mates but this is the way Katniss's life ends up and thats that.

Unfortunately I'm a true romantic and just felt sad at the way things had ended up for her. She had no passion or real love to give anyone, her only desire being to protect and even that was taken away leaving her no reason to carry on living.

I supppose I was just left feeling conflicted by the end...

Kailey Everyone was telling me about a year after I read it how much they hated mockingjay! I remembered LOVING it but it had been so long that i couldn't remember what I loved about. I'm probably going to have to read catching fire and mockinjay again before the movies because I'm going to walk into the theater not knowing whats going to happen. I remember ABSOLUTELY LOVING this book so I totally don't agree with the people who have said otherwise

Rachael I loved the book I just felt miserable by the end, but like I said, you can't always have the happy ending.. although I suppose it was happy in a way.

I just honestly don't know, I wasn't happy at the end as i am with most books... Maybe because we'd had so much detail through out the whole series for the end to just be squished together.

Sandhya Ratnam i think the ending was appropriate for the book but not for the series. Mocking jay was a lot more depressing than the other books and the ending was perfect for the book. However it was not what I expected for an ending of an entire series. I guess that it was suspenseful in a way but there could have been a splash of colour to make the ending a little more excitable.

Kristin A wrote: "I thought the ending of "There are worse games to play." Was a little confusing."
Why? She's playing a repetitive mind game to keep her sanity and reminding herself there are worse games to play (the hunger games, power struggles like Coin; etc)

How is that confusing?

Kristin Rachael wrote: "I think after everything Katniss had gone through, the emotional and physical pain, the deaths she has seen and the deaths she has caused all in the name of freedom, that the way she was left on he..."

See, I disagree. Sometimes love just comes softly and that is what she needed. There would have been a little passion and old friendship with Gale but her soulmate was Peeta--the one who could help protect and heal her mind and give her hope. I outlined my thoughts here on the very topic :)
http://www.asimplyenchantedlife.com/2...

message 33: by P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P. Kirby Mockingjay is my favorite book of the series and while I felt the ending was a little rushed, the overall tone of the book was a fitting end to the series. I think a younger me would have been totally team Gale and terribly disappointed with her ultimate relationship with Peeta.

But...Peeta is very much like my husband, given to quieter acts of love. The bit where he planted primroses for Prim is exactly the kind of thing my husband would do. And the Katniss that remained at the end of her ordeal, broken and frankly, probably suffering from some version of PTSD, needed that kind of nurturer in her life. IMO, of course.

Also, as horrible as Prim's death was, I think it was necessary in a story where the lines of good and evil blurred, where there is collateral damage on both sides and even the good guys aren't perfect.

Of course, mileage may vary.

message 35: by ERIN (new) - rated it 5 stars

ERIN SCHMIDT It's my favorite of the three. It's so brave and so true.

message 36: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I liked it. It wasn't so detailed that we couldn't draw some conclusions ourselves, but it wasn't so vague that loose ends weren't tied up. It was raw, powerful, realistic, and a good end to the series.

Carrie P P. wrote: "Mockingjay is my favorite book of the series and while I felt the ending was a little rushed, the overall tone of the book was a fitting end to the series. I think a younger me would have been tota..."

I was Team Peeta from the beginning so I liked what you said about Peeta's "quieter acts of love", although part of his charm was his belief in the power of words. There was definitely a kind of "opposites attract" between Katniss (girl on fire & full of passion & all about action) & Peeta (bread boy wonder who uses wit & words to fight 4 his rights but also is all heart). You are probably right about Katniss' PTSD & Peeta had the right kind of love to help her heal.

Olivia Parsons I thought it ended well. I don't get why everyone hated it so much. The ending made a lot of sense.

message 40: by Jj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jj i think the ending's not what it could have been. good book though.

message 41: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will I loved the book except for when Prim died because her hair caught on fire and she burned to death.

message 42: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah So THAT's what happened??? I thought that she died in the blast.

message 43: by Cara (new) - rated it 1 star

Cara I hate this book! A bunch of characters that are hard to keep track of are introduced and then killed off to make it seem more tragic. The writing is cheap, but because it has Katniss and Peeta in it (Team Peeta all the way!) she made a ton of money off it. I wish she hadn't killed Madge off and maybe had Gale and Madge marry or something instead of just hearing that Madge is dead and Gale's got a TV job and kissing girls. I like the basic plot of the book and she does a good job of wrapping up loose ends, but she could have made the book a whole lot better if she had spent more time on it.

Charnae Warrick I liked the book. I didn't know people really hated it.

Jessica No the book was so bad I like the first two

Rachael I really liked Peeta and thought they were good together i also loved Gale but didn't like how he abandoned her at the end. I just felt like it was all thrown together and just not enough... what?? I have no idea, I just didn't feel anything at the end it was like 'ah, ok, thats how it ends' no 'wow' or *sobs* or 'I can't believe that'

Tanjlisa Marie I wasn't too crazy about this book. I was shocked that Prim died and then Katniss pretty much had a mental melt down. I guess its fitting with the dystopian theme but I liked the first book best of all and the other two just dwindled for me.

Rachael It probably is fitting and quite realistic to how someone with PTSD would behave as stated by someone else, but again, I still wasn't happy with it. And I don't think it sits right with their characters, that Gale and her mum abandoned her. They wouldn't have done that.
I think I'd have been happier if they had gone back to twelve with her and then if she'd have picked Peeta still, it would have made more sense. But this way just feels like it was her only choice, he was the only one around.

message 49: by Rosie (new) - added it

Rosie I loved this book...

-----------------------SPOILER-------------------------
The only negative thing i have to say about it is I just wish the ending about the kids was longer and more detailed.

Angeline Joseph There were too many deaths to be happy for Peeta and Katniss.

« previous 1