Reading the Classics discussion

Past Group Reads > The Brothers Karamazov reading schedule proposals

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (last edited Nov 28, 2012 03:15PM) (new)

Jenn | 413 comments Mod
The Brothers Karamazov is another long book that will take us two months to read. The book is broken into 12 Parts (or Books, depending on which edition/translation) plus an Epilogue. I have two ideas for how we can do this. Any other ideas are welcome as well.

Idea 1: We would have a separate discussion thread for each of the 12 parts and the epilogue for a total of 13 discussion threads. People can read at their own pace and comment in each thread as they complete the reading of that part. The Epilogue thread would also be where we could discuss the book as a whole when finished with the book.

Idea 2: I could set up an actual reading schedule with a certain amount of reading per week. In the schedule I would take into consideration the Christmas and New Year holidays and maybe give us a lighter reading load for those weeks. I have a proposed schedule I created. I included page amounts, though each edition will be different. I used the Project Gutenberg edition translated by Constance Garnett.

Week 1 (Dec 1-7) Book 1 & Book 2, 25+57=82 pages
Week 2 (Dec 8-14) Book 3, 68 pages
Week 3 (Dec 15-21) Book 4, 48 pages
Week 4 (Dec 22-28) Book 5, 68 pages
Week 5 (Dec 29-Jan 4) Book 6 & Book 7, 45+28=73 pages
Week 6 (Jan 5-11) Book 8, 79 pages
Week 7 (Jan 12-18) Book 9 & Book 10, 64+47=111 pages
Week 8 (Jan 19-25) Book 11, 95 pages
Week 9 (Jan 26-31) Book 12 & Epilogue, 98+20=118 pages

Again this is just a proposed schedule so we can change it. We also have my first idea to consider and any ideas you may have. Thanks for your your help in this.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  | 207 comments Either idea works for me, really. I think that you have done a good job at breaking down the reading schedule. The first idea may be slightly more attractive because it allows people to read at their own pace.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Degraaf (ldegraaf) | 20 comments Why not a little of both. The discussion thread is broken down by books and the epilogue because that sounds very organized. Then make the schedule a suggestion or guide in how to get through it in 2 months, but because the thread is divided by books even if someone falls behind they won't see any spoilers.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (yarnmama10) I would prefer the first option but either way is fine.

message 5: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 37 comments I like the idea of breaking down the book into sections an reading at our own pace. When we've finished a section we can jump into the conversation without worrying about spoilers or get stressed if we get behind on reading. I typically start a book then read until I'm finished so the way I read just having it sectioned out would be my preference.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn I like idea one. I prefer going at my own pace.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 413 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Why not a little of both. The discussion thread is broken down by books and the epilogue because that sounds very organized. Then make the schedule a suggestion or guide in how to get through it in..."

I like that. A separate discussion thread for each Book/Part (idea 1), and the schedule can be used as a guide to read the book in two months for whoever needs it. That sounds great to me.

message 8: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments I think the first idea would help everyone account for the holidays on their own. Break it up into all the parts, it gives us two months and we can read more at some points than others depending on where everyone is on their holiday schedule. I will probably read it that way regardless, but I don't know what's better for everyone else.

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (Bevior) | 7 comments I like Lisa 's suggestion as well. It lets us all participate at whatever pace we would like. I like the breakdown as a guide so I can read ahead if I know I am coming up on a week when i wont read as much.

message 10: by Omneya (new)

Omneya Deen | 11 comments Jenn wrote: "The Brothers Karamazov is another long book that will take us two months to read. The book is broken into 12 Parts (or Books, depending on which edition/translation) plus an Epilogue. I have two id..."

alright Jenn, i like the way you divided our reading schedule and i totally agree with it..let's start on Saturday and i wish u all enjoyable reading hours ...

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 29 comments I;m flexible; I'll follow either method as the group decides. BTW Dartmouth College has an excellent web page regarding The Brothers Karamazov at http://www.dartmouth.edu/~karamazov/r...

If you cannot resist spoilers, be forewarned that there is a pretty comprehensive plot summary included on the page.

message 12: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) I normally would follow a schedule like this but I actually have lots of time to read over Christmas (sch. finishes on the 21st and returns on the 7th) and as someone who is unmarried and doesn't have kids I just get to visit my Mum, a few relatives and then go on holiday to France for 2 weeks. I'll be snuggled up by an open fire avoiding French Bread and Cheese with my copy so having a thread for each section on the schedule already set up would be great.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the first option best. I'm a read at my own pace kind of girl.

message 14: by Neens (new)

Neens Bea (neens_bea) | 42 comments For me personally, the first option is the best (I am likely to have a lot of time to read over the holidays), but I also like the 'best of both' option. I am singing Händel's Messiah for charity on Saturday and have been wondering what to do in the 2,5h break between the rehearsal and the performance (for some reason I thought the 1st of December was on Sunday). Problem solved! ;o)

message 15: by Kika23 (new)

Kika23 | 5 comments Sometimes I don't even have a minute to read and then I have lots of free time. So, the first option is better to me because I won't be worried about being behind if I don't have time to read.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I prefer the first option. That way we can all read at out own pace and just discuss the section we've finished without feeling we can't read ahead or that we're lagging behind.

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian (myersb68) | 62 comments Jon wrote: "I like Lisa 's suggestion as well. It lets us all participate at whatever pace we would like. I like the breakdown as a guide so I can read ahead if I know I am coming up on a week when i wont read..."

I also like Lisa's suggestion. I will use your schedule as a guide, but organizing the threads by book makes a lot of sense to me.

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil (Lanark) First idea, broken down into books for me :)

message 19: by Marcie (new)

Marcie Harkness I like the first idea, I started the book awhile ago and am so excited to be reading it with all of you. I'm certain I can finish it this time!

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Blackburn | 24 comments I like the first idea, but the combo idea sounds fine too. I started reading this book with another group not too long ago, but I ended up getting so far ahead that by the time each week's discussion thread was posted, I couldn't remember what happened in that section or what I wanted to say about it. I've read it before but was really excited to discuss it with others, so I'm looking forward to doing so this time around!

message 21: by Kiss-koczka (new)

Kiss-koczka (kisskoczka) I am up for a combination of the two options too, but if I have to choose I prefer the first one

message 22: by Chahrazad (new)

Chahrazad | 49 comments Jenn wrote: "The Brothers Karamazov is another long book that will take us two months to read. The book is broken into 12 Parts (or Books, depending on which edition/translation) plus an Epilogue. I have two id..."

Thank you Jenn... I'll go for reading at my own pace to avoid stress at being behind schedule like a few people here :)

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) I'm fine with either option, but prefer #1.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh dear me, I'm going to fall badly behind here. I've got another large book The Woman in White to read for my RL book club for January. But it'll be interesting to see what you think when I finally get through it. it's good so far, just not a light read - needs a bit of concentration.

message 25: by Phil (last edited Dec 14, 2012 12:24PM) (new)

Phil (Lanark) We read The Woman in White in this book club during October, Helen. So don't forget to post your thoughts in the folder for that novel :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Phil,I'll look that thread up. I've read it before, but it's still not going to be a fast read.

message 27: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) I'm starting today, hopefully I'll catch up

message 28: by Margaret (last edited Dec 15, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

Margaret This book is such dense (slow) reading for me! I think the schedule looks great but am a bit behind. Very much enjoying reading all the comments as I finish a book. Even being behind, it's helping me stay (somewhat) on track.

Kelsi * Essentially Booked * I want to start this soon but I have a bunch of other books I need to finish first. I'm so excited to read it from everyone's comments!

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn Margaret wrote: "This book is such dense (slow) reading for me! I think the schedule looks great but am a bit behind. Very much njoying reading all the comments as I finish a book. Even being behind, it's helpin..."

Margaret, it moves more quickly as you get more into it.

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Cynthia wrote: "Margaret, it moves more quickly as you get more into it."

Thanks Cynthia. Book II was very slow for me - not as in dull, but requiring so much concentration and time. Book III is going much more smoothly and I suspect I'll be glad I hung on.

message 32: by Ana (new)

Ana | 3 comments i have already read the book and i thing dividing it is a great idea. it took me a lot to read it

message 33: by Henry (new)

Henry Hi,

I didn't know where to post this, so I decided to post it here:

After I read the Brothers Karamzov earlier this year, I listened to a Podcast lecture by Hubert L. Dreyfus dealing with the book. It helped me a lot to understand the book much better.

Unfortunately the 2010 lecture I listened to is no longer available on iTunes, but the 2009 is (though it seems that they more often have sound quality issues).

The Podcast is free to download and can be found in the iTunes store under

Hubert L. Dreyfus
Philosophy 7, 001|Fall 2009|UC Berkeley

He starts talking about the book in Lecture 14 (and it is the subject of several following lectures).

Maybe some of you are interested in listening to this.

Also: Hi, I'm new to the Group and look forward to be reading Classics with you in 2013.

message 34: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) Picked this back up again this morning, way behind schedule but it will get read.

Kelsi * Essentially Booked * I've gotten way too backlogged with books, so I haven't had time to start this yet, but I really want to. I have A Tale of Two Cities and The Count of Monte Cristo to go before I can even think about this one.

How long did it take you all to read?

message 36: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments Depends on what time you have available, how you read it (audio vs. visual, etc) and what your interest level is. You can always carry it over longer if you need to, the thread will still be here. Totally up to you if you want to read it or not. It took me about two weeks, but I was listening on audio and was mostly getting through as much as I could every day, because big long sections are rather boring and difficult. But again, personal preference and reading style.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Just about 6 weeks, but i did have other books on the go at the same time. Usually as light relief. it's good, but quite long and i found it a bit stodgy, so was glad to have something else as light relief.

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil (Lanark) About the same - 6 weeks for me too, just finishing and only the epilogue to go. To be honest, I'm glad it's finishing.

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn I'm only half way through and don't find it half as good as Crime and Punishment. I will finish it, though.