Books on the Nightstand discussion

Making sense of all of the ways to read a book!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 102 comments Help! Ann, Micheal, or anyone in the know.

I'd like to understand a bit more about the workings and 'politics' of how newly released novels are offered in their different forms.

For example, I just purchased the new Kindle 2.
I noticed that one of the books I want to read has these options...In addition to the Trade Paperback, it is also available as an unabridged audio CD, unabridged audiobook download, eBook and a hardcover.

I don't think any of these options include the Kindle. Amazon has a link to where you can let the publisher know that you'd like it available on the Kindle.

What about the Sony Reader???

I'm a little perplexed?

Any simple way to explain it?

Thanks!!!
Susanne
(and yeah Michael...Bezos's laugh was rather over the top on that video...but he's laughing all the way to the bank, don't forget! :-)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Ugh. It's complicated. And I'm not 100% sure I know all the exact details. Which book is it, that might help.

If an ebook is listed, then the wait is likely for Amazon to convert the ebook to Kindle format (I think. Educated guess here). Or if the publisher makes the Kindle format avail., but they'd also have the format avail. for Sony Reader, etc. There are so many formats and it's so damn confusing.

To further complicate things, the pricing is a mess. The publisher sells the ebook to retailers at a certain price, not sure what that is exactly, but it's more than the $9.99 that Amazon charges. They are subsidizing the prices on ebooks to generate sales for the Kindle. That's why you might ebooks higher at other online ebook retailers -- they can't afford to subsidize the ebook because they aren't selling $350 devices.

Not sure what will happen with pricing down the road -- if Kindle gets substantial market share, I imagine Amazon will stop eating much of the cost of the ebooks.

It all makes my head hurt.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
wow. I'm glad Ann took that one... It used to be that a hardcover would come out, then the paperback would be released a year later. Now sometimes there's a HC, then a mass market PB, then a Trade PB, or it goes HC, TP, MM. There's sometimes a reason, sometimes not and eBooks are only making it more confusing.

That being said, let us know what you think of the Kindle 2! Did you own a Kindle 1? I just loaded a bunch of Fall 09 manuscripts onto my Sony Reader for my upcoming sales trips. Looking forward to diving into some new stuff!

message 4: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 102 comments Thanks for your quick reaponses!
The book is actually a Random House one...SACRED HEARTS by Sarah Dunant (author of Birth of Venus and In The Company of the Courtesan)

From the author's website....
Stop Press
New novel forcibly taken out the hands of the author and delivered to the printers...

JANUARY 2009

Coming this year to a bookshop near you!

SACRED HEARTS
1570 in the Italian city of Ferrara, and the convent of Santa Caterina is filled with noble women who are married to Christ because they cannot find husbands on the outside. Enter 16 year old Serafina, howling with rage and hormones and determined to escape. Her arrival disrupts the harmony and stability of the convent, as overseen by Madonna Chiara, an abbess as fluent in politics as she is in prayer. She assigns the novice into the care of Suora Zuana, the scholarly nun who runs the dispensary and treats all manner of sickness, from pestilence and melancholy to self-inflicted wounds. As an unlikely relationship builds between the two women, others figures stand watching and waiting; most notably the novice mistress, Suora Umiliana, a crusader for God and ever stricter piety and the mysterious, decrepit Suora Magdalena, incarcerated in her cell with a history of ecstasy and visions.

While on the other side of the great walls, Counter reformation forces in the Church are pushing for repressive change, inside, Serafina’s spirit and defiance ignite a fire that threatens to engulf the whole convent. The third part of Sarah Dunant’s acclaimed Renaissance trilogy, Sacred Hearts, is about power, creativity, love, both secular and spiritual, and the indomitable spirit of women in an age when religious, political and social forces were all stacked against them.

British Publication July 1st 2009
Canadian Publication July 1st 2009
Australian Publication July 1st 2009

American Publication August 4th 2009

American Tour coast to coast - September - October - dates and itinerary to be released later

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ahhhhh .....
You're in the US, right?
The book will be out on 8/4/09. So the Kindle version will be available then. No real need to preorder the Kindle version, since it is available immediately. Preorders typically allow Amazon to mail the book so that it lands on your doorstep on the on-sale date. With a download, there's no lag time.

Does this answer your question?

I'm waiting to read this one, by the way....

message 6: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 102 comments Kindle 2 is here and I'm very impresssed with it so far! The resolution is very easy on the eyes (unlike the computer screen!)
I downloaded Maya Angelou's LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER and all went very smoothly...I still have yet to figure out the audio services.
BUT....I did notice that not all downloads were only $9.99...and it is causing a bit of a fuss with many users!

Ann...of course I'm in the U.S. and very near to the luscious Pinots of the Northwest!...remember? :-)

message 7: by Ann (new)

Susanne, I was fairly certain where you were, but these days I do not trust my brain to properly remember anything.

I am not at all surprised that many books are now more than $9.99. The price that the publishers sell to Amazon are higher than that -- Amazon is subsidizing the price of the book in order to sell their devices. Ebook pricing is a mess and a headache and I don't want to get into the details, but if things stay the same as they are now I will say that you should expect to see prices continue to rise. Once there are enough users, Amazon will not need to subsidize any longer.

I do hope you enjoy it. I'm happy with my Sony Reader, but wish that it had wireless download capability.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (kaelesa) | 39 comments I also just recently got the Kindle 2 and I love it. As to pricing, I noticed that "best-sellers" are usually $9.99. Other new books that are out in only hardback format can be more than that. Once a book is in paperback the Kindle price seems to drop accordingly, many under $9.99. One thing you can do with the Kindle is download a sample of the book, which is usually the first 2-3 chapters. This is a great feature to use when you hear about a book you think you might like but aren't sure. My problem is every sample I've tried so far makes me want to read the whole book. It's so easy to purchase books from the Kindle that I have to exercise so strong willpower to avoid blowing my budget.

message 9: by tomlinton (new)

tomlinton (thomasee) Debbie wrote: "It's so easy to purchase books from the Kindle that I have to exercise so strong willpower to avoid blowing my budget."

Well that's easy then
I avoid blowing my budget now
In my second year of Kindles
by dropping cable TV
That's a few more budgeted bucks
Then there was the TV HD upgrade I didn't do
a bit more for the old budget
The movies I don't go to see
That's another book a week
Hmmmm
The three bedroom I don't need
For floor to ceiling library shelves