The Postmodern Discussion discussion

Seeks Suggestions: Authors that challenge...

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Kulm (johnkulm) | 2 comments I want to find books that make me see the world in a new way; that challenge the status quo. Books like "Straw Dogs" by John Gray, "Escape From Freedom" by Erich Fromm, "About Looking" by John Berger.

I'm seeking suggestions. Tell me about authors who show readers new ways of seeing rather than accepting things as they appear.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 1 comments Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil are books i suggest u to read to see world as something new.
what else? tell me more please

message 3: by Jared (new)

Jared (jkennard) | 1 comments Anything by Foucault. If you really want something that will change your outlook on the world read Order of Things. This is a very challenging book to comprehend, but it is this way because it fundamentally challenges what you think you know about the world and even about yourself.

message 4: by John (new)

John Kulm (johnkulm) | 2 comments Ian wrote: "Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil are books i suggest u to read to see world as something new.
what else? tell me more please"

More than a year since you suggested it, I'm finally reading "Beyond Good and Evil." Great recommendation, Ian! Nietzche really fits the description of "seeing the world in a new way." His writing is interesting, too, because he has such a strong attitude.

message 5: by Letters (new)

Letters Journal (lettersjournal) | 1 comments Jared wrote: "Anything by Foucault. If you really want something that will change your outlook on the world read Order of Things. This is a very challenging book to comprehend, but it is this way because it fu..."

If Foucault challenges the status quo, why is he read in every sociology department in the world?

I agree with the Nietzsche suggestion, but I think ultimately when/where/why a person reads a book is more important than the book itself. When I read Guy Debord's 'Society of the Spectacle' in high school it hit me like a bag of bricks and totally shook up how I approached ideas. When someone reads it in a graduate school seminar, it is just another 'radical' text on the curriculum.