The Readers discussion

Some Kind of Fairy Tale
This topic is about Some Kind of Fairy Tale
The Readers Book Club > Book #4; Some Kind of Fairytale by Graham Joyce

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon (SavidgeReads) | 449 comments Mod
Finally we have a title for the fourth instalment of the new Readers Book Club (after some alterations hence why this has taken so long). For Decembers choice we will be discussing ‘Some Kind of Fairytale’ by Graham Joyce which seems most appropriate for this time of year with Christmas creeping up on us, and yet with a rather dark and magical twist.
The show will go live on Friday the 14th of December, to give you all longer to get your hands on it and read it, and will be recording the first part of the show with on the 28th of November as while we are putting the show live Gavin is off on holiday again. As usual we want your questions and discussion points. First of all here is the synopsis of ‘Some Kind of Fairytale’...

“A story of woods and clearings, a story of folk tales and family histories. It is as if Neil Gaiman and Joanne Harris had written a Fairy Tale together. It is Christmas afternoon and Peter Martin gets an unexpected phonecall from his parents, asking him to come round. It pulls him away from his wife and children and into a bewildering mystery. He arrives at his parents house and discovers that they have a visitor. His sister Tara. Not so unusual you might think, this is Christmas after all, a time when families get together. But twenty years ago Tara took a walk into the woods and never came back and as the years have gone by with no word from her the family have, unspoken, assumed that she was dead. Now she's back, tired, dirty, dishevelled, but happy and full of stories about twenty years spent travelling the world, an epic odyssey taken on a whim. But her stories don't quite hang together and once she has cleaned herself up and got some sleep it becomes apparent that the intervening years have been very kind to Tara. She really does look no different from the young women who walked out the door twenty years ago. Peter's parents are just delighted to have their little girl back, but Peter and his best friend Richie, Tara's one time boyfriend, are not so sure. Tara seems happy enough but there is something about her. A haunted, otherworldly quality. Some would say it's as if she's off with the fairies. And as the months go by Peter begins to suspect that the woods around their homes are not finished with Tara and his family...”

What we would love to know from you is...

What would you like to ask Graham about the book and writing it?
What were your thoughts on the book (the bad, the good and the indifferent)?
Were there any particular parts of the book you would like the panel to discuss?
Anything else you have to discuss?

Do let us know by November 28th (as while the episode will go live late Gavin is in Hong Kong in December) and we will get your questions to Graham! Oh and let us know if you would like to be one of the panel members for the third part of the show by emailing bookbasedbanter@gmail.com

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha This one sounds good!! I just put a hold on it at the library and should have it soon.

Jenni (Jennilukee) | 45 comments I've never read anything by Graham Joyce so I'm really looking forward to this.

Simon (SavidgeReads) | 449 comments Mod
Hi everyone, we will be interviewing Graham on Wednesday night, so if you have any questions then do please let us know!!

Ruthiella | 271 comments I am only 50 pages in, which really basically takes me as far as the synopsis, but liking it so far. At first I thought the book was a straightforward crime procedural...but then a man on a horse showed up in the forest...

I think my questions for Graham would be the same as yours...what was the inspiration for the book, any particular fairy tale? Did he enjoy fairy tales as a kid?

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I had to return my copy unread to the library as when I opened it up it had a burned cigarette hole on a page, ashes in the crease and the same page was completely ripped in half. Gross. So I returned it and am back on hold for a 'good' copy.

Jenni (Jennilukee) | 45 comments I really liked Some Kind of Fairy Tale and will definitely be seeking out more books by Graham Joyce.

Elizabeth☮ i have this one literally on my nighstand. i hope to get to it next.

Ruthiella | 271 comments I just finished listening to the podcast and Darrin was really perfect to be the third person in the panel discussion.

Elizabeth☮ i finished this over the holiday. i found it an interesting story. i have never heard of joyce and can't believe it as he's a prolific writer. i will have to search out others by him.

thanks for the recommendation simon and gavin.

message 11: by Kristin (last edited Apr 01, 2013 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin | 68 comments I just finished reading this, albeit a little late for the Book Club participation. Wow! It was a good one. I am definitely a fan of Graham Joyce now. The ending too was well done I thought. I am going to go back and listen to the podcast from December now--I was saving for when I had completed the book. Looking forward to hearing it!