Authors & Readers Unite discussion

What are you reading now? > Let us know what you are reading

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony Franks-Buckley | 61 comments Mod
Tell everyone what you are reading and why you are enjoying it or not liking it.

message 2: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra Lamb (KassLamb) | 22 comments I am currently reading Lost and Found by Amy Shojai, and I am enjoying it very much. It is a suspense novel about an autistic child lost in a snowstorm, his helper dog and his aunt who is trying to find him before some other unscrupulous folks do. I'll post a review when I'm done.

Lost And Found

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (Code9) | 8 comments Currently reading an ARC of Destiny Of The Sands, Rai Aren's exciting sequel to Secret Of The Sands. Almost 3/4 to the end and enjoying every minute of it. I know Secret Of The Sands has tons of fans. If you're one of them, be sure to watch for this terrific sequel... coming soon. :-) Secret of the Sands by Rai Aren

message 4: by June (new)

June McCullough (junemccullough) | 5 comments I'm reading 11/22/63. Stephen King is a genius when it comes to writing. It's about time travel and it is written in the first person. It's also over 800 pages, but it's easy to read and I don't find myself wishing it was shorter.

message 5: by June (new)

June McCullough (junemccullough) | 5 comments June wrote: "I'm reading 11/22/63. Stephen King is a genius when it comes to writing. It's about time travel and it is written in the first person. It's also over 800 pages, but it's easy to read and I don't fi..."

11/22/63 by Stephen King

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Driggers (JacquelineD) What I'm reading is always in flux, and so I keep it updated on my profile. So if anyone ever wonders what I'm reading, they just have to check my profile is all.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 11 comments I'm reading To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Sandra Byrd. Love it!

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Bruno (JoeBruno) | 9 comments I'm reading "Born to Kill" by T. J. English. Very well written. I lived in NY City's Chinatown for 48 years and was there during the killings mentioned in the book.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments The Jacobites' ApprenticeDavid Ebsworth

A really excellent look at Manchester in the 18thc. Two rival factions strive for supremacy as one man is stuck in the middle of them trying to keep loyal to the Jacobite family who have looked after him since he was a youth and at the same time working for the Hanoverian hatchet man the sinister Striker. This book has been thoroughly researched and reads like a classic. Ebbsworth is a master writer!

message 10: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra Lamb (KassLamb) | 22 comments I've finished reading Lost and Found by Amy Shojai. I'll get a review up soon.

I've just started a romance by Louise Behiel called Family Ties. I'm really liking it so far.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
I won the book at the Christmas raffle at the Muehl Public Library in Seymour, Wisconsin. I was delighted to win a book I wanted to read anyhow.

It't an excellent book for lovers of history and all things Lincoln

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt Schiariti | 4 comments I'm reading Two Graves by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Fantastic so far. Always find myself taking my time with their books because I never want them to end.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cefalo (andreacefalo) | 2 comments I am currently reading: Mad Kings and Queens: History's Most Famous Raving Royals by Alison Rattle and Allison Vale, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, and Women's Lives in Medieval Europe edited by Emilie Amt.

Written by Andrea Cefalo, author of The Fairytale Keeper: a novel of corruption, devotion, and the origins of Grimm's fairytales

message 14: by Polly (new)

Polly (ScribblingWoman) | 6 comments I am currently reading a fabulous book, WINTER PALACE by Eva Stachniak ... A must read!!!!!

message 15: by Polly (new)

Polly (ScribblingWoman) | 6 comments The Winter Palace

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments Three books, Rome:The Emporer's Spy by Manda Scott
Anglo Saxon Women by Christine Fell
EdwardI a great and Terrible King by Marc Morris
[bookcover:A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain

message 17: by Irma (new)

Irma Fritz | 23 comments I have a love/hate relationship with Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Hate Amy & Nick. Found the intro of book fast-paced with good writing. Then the next part was b-o-r-i-n-g. I would have given up except it's one of my reader group assignments & also because I bought the $$$ hardcopy & you can't give up on a book after spending that much money! Right? So I got through the boring part & Gillian pulled me back into her story. But, please don't anyone tell me that these 2 cruds get to kiss & make up in the end!!!!!!!!!!!

message 18: by Irma (new)

Irma Fritz | 23 comments When I finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, I felt like I needed a shower. Why do people love this book?

message 19: by Joan (new)

Joan Flood | 3 comments Irma wrote: "When I finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, I felt like I needed a shower. Why do people love this book?"

I felt much the same as you when reading it. Would have given it up except my friend, who loved it and lent me the book, kept on saying, hang in there.

message 20: by Irma (new)

Irma Fritz | 23 comments Joan wrote: "Irma wrote: "When I finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, I felt like I needed a shower. Why do people love this book?"

I felt much the same as you when reading it. Would have given it up except my..."

Joan, similar situation for me. I read it for a book group assignment. Also, had seen it on the bestseller list & wondered what all the excitement was about. Now that I finished, I still don't know why some readers just love this story. Do you?

message 21: by Joan (new)

Joan Flood | 3 comments No, Irma, I don't. My friend liked the intrigue and games they played with each other, and felt that the guy found redemption in looking after his wife in the end. Not my sense at all. I found these characters unlikeable. I didn't really care what happened to them.

message 22: by Irma (new)

Irma Fritz | 23 comments Joan, your last sentence said it all! For a novel to be successful, readers need to care what happens to characters. So true, so true!!!

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Steele (WendyWooAuthor) | 4 comments I'm reading Sons of the Wolf by Paula Lofting and loving every second of it. Set in England in 1064, the thegn returns to his village and his family after the battle against Macbeth. There's enough description to set the scene while allowing the story to flow and the characters to develop. Fab:-)

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments Wendy wrote: "I'm reading Sons of the Wolf by Paula Lofting and loving every second of it. Set in England in 1064, the thegn returns to his village and his family after the battle against Macbeth. There's enough..."

Oh thanks for mentioning my book Wendy! Just one thing, it actually starts in 1054, lol! a slip of the finger perhaps!

message 25: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Steele (WendyWooAuthor) | 4 comments Paula wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I'm reading Sons of the Wolf by Paula Lofting and loving every second of it. Set in England in 1064, the thegn returns to his village and his family after the battle against Macbeth. ..."

I stand corrected! Yes, a late night slip of the finger!?!:-)

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments Wendy wrote: "Paula wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I'm reading Sons of the Wolf by Paula Lofting and loving every second of it. Set in England in 1064, the thegn returns to his village and his family after the battle aga..."

I hope you're still enjoying it Wendy!

message 27: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments I've just finished reading Manda Scott's book and my review is up Rome The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1) by M.C. Scott

message 28: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra Lamb (KassLamb) | 22 comments Currently reading Outback Fear by Suzanne Brandyn.

Then next up is A taste of sin by Jennifer Jennings. I've read the first two stories in her series and enjoyed them.

message 29: by Irma (new)

Irma Fritz | 23 comments Just finished A Thistle in the Mist, a historic romance by Megan Denby. While Romance is not my genre, this novel is set on the Isle of Skye. I found the setting, as well as the language very interesting. Review soon!

message 30: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Stoklasa (victoriastoklasa) | 1 comments Dead Men Kill

I'm reading this because I need something light and fun to do with my mind. What's more light and fun than a pulp novel about a tough detective battling Hatian-style zombies?

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (PaulaLofting) | 19 comments I'm reading this by Robyn Young Insurrection

Lionheartby Sharon Penman

Horseman's Desire, The (Bartlemas Anthology #1).