Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Book Cover Size Specs

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Hello,
I'm compiling a list of the suggested or required cover sizes for various vendors, and I can't find the size Goodreads requests/suggests.
Please advise with specifics, if possible.
Thanks in advance
LA Sartor

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Cover sizes of actual books or file specifications on uploading book cover images to goodreads?

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments The maximum height of a cover seems to be 475 pixels. The width is presumably going to be in proportion but Goodreads will usually downsample a JPG even if the dimensions are correct.

I say "seems to be 475 pixels" because there are a few books in the database where the covers have been enormous.

message 4: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Debbie R,
I need to upload my new cover. I'm thinking of using my 600x 900 file, but could use a 200x300 (px) file.
Advice?

message 5: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Debbie R. wrote: "Cover sizes of actual books or file specifications on uploading book cover images to goodreads?"

Upload my new cover image to goodreads

message 6: by lafon حمزة (last edited Nov 20, 2012 05:30PM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments L.A. wrote: "Debbie R,
I need to upload my new cover. I'm thinking of using my 600x 900 file, but could use a 200x300 (px) file.
Advice?"

I tend to go by file-size rather than dimensions, as I'm never sure what exactly the system is going to re-size it to. I find that on average a file at ~0.5 MB to ~1.5 MB works well. If you really want it in pixels, I'd use a 600/700(px) by 900/1000(px). That seems to be what works best for me.

message 7: by Sara ♥ (last edited Nov 20, 2012 05:34PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 318 comments I'd upload the largest picture it will let you (which I'm sure is much bigger than 600x900, probably measured in megabites). The little thumbnail picture on the book page will be resized automatically, but then when you click on it, it will take you to another page that shows the larger cover image so people can take a closer look and get more interested in your book! (Here's an example so you can try clicking on the cover image: Pride and Prejudice.)

message 8: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments There is a good chance that it will end up at 35KB or less. The algorithm is hard to pin down.

On a few occasions I've tried making an image that is EXACTLY the same dimensions as the end result of the GR import but with a slightly smaller filesize. It still gets resampled.

message 9: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I'd upload the largest picture it will let you (which I'm sure is much bigger than 600x900, probably measured in megabites). The little thumbnail picture on the book page will be resized automatically, but then when you click on it, it will take you to another page that shows the larger cover image so people can take a closer look and get more interested in your book! (Here's an example so you can try clicking on the cover image: Pride and Prejudice.)"

That one is only 40KB. Interestingly it is only 450 pixels tall rather than the more usual 475.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott | 3240 comments I've never made them a particular size because the site resizes it anyway. I just leave it whatever it scans as.

message 11: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 318 comments That was just a random book to show that when you click on the image on the book page, it brings up a larger image. I didn't look at specific sizes.