Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Authors can now change default/primary edition

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 16, 2012 10:30PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Patrick wrote a slightly buried post in this link/thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Just in case anyone missed.

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Rivka or Patrick (or anyone else who gets this first) - could you give us librarians an explanation of where the option for this can be found so that we can help authors find it. Perhaps a screenshot that we can reference?

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments And is it something that eventually librarians would be able to help with if authors still have trouble?

Just curious, but, did authors get some sort of notice about, yet? Or will they just be stumbling across?

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Debbie R. wrote: "And is it something that eventually librarians would be able to help with if authors still have trouble?"

Doesn't seem likely. The other employee-only tasks (author merges etc) are really employee-only tasks. Looks like Rivka will be getting some overtime.

Since changing the default edition is going to look like an illegal cover change (unless you go down into the logs) I expect we will get many more dubious cover changes. It will just be harder to spot them.

message 5: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (CEMartin2) | 22 comments I can't figure how to update my cover in either of my works listed here at Goodreads, so they match Amazon.

I didn't see the option on my dashboard or under the edit book settings.

Where is it at?

message 6: by Banjomike (last edited Nov 19, 2012 05:39AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments C.e. wrote: "I can't figure how to update my cover in either of my works listed here at Goodreads, so they match Amazon.

I didn't see the option on my dashboard or under the edit book settings.

Where is it at?"

No idea. You know as much as we do.

HOWEVER, changing book covers is still against Goodreads rules.

message 7: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (CEMartin2) | 22 comments I wonder why that is?

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments You wonder why changing book covers is against GR Policy?

Its because GR is a book cataloging site and users want the cover they bought and read on their shelves not the latest cover that they do not own.

message 9: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (CEMartin2) | 22 comments Well, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

message 10: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (CEMartin2) | 22 comments Uh... someone changed my cover today. To the oldest image I had put on. And they changed my ad.

I appreciate the help, but I would have liked it if I could have been changed to my newest cover, not my oldest.

Yech, I forgot how bad that first cover was.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments C.E., records should always remain in their earliest form. If there are new versions of the book published, new records should be created for them. Would you like a librarian to help you create new records for your newer covers?

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32630 comments Mod
Banjomike wrote: "Looks like Rivka will be getting some overtime."

Nope. Authors can do it themselves, or use the Contact Us link.

Authors will be receiving an official notification about this new feature.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 548 comments rivka wrote: "Authors will be receiving an official notification about this new feature. "

It would be great if the FAQ could be updated as well! :)
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I updated it 3 days ago.

message 15: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Andrea wrote: "It would be great if the FAQ could be updated as well! :)"

It looks like it already was updated....

message 16: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (CEMartin2) | 22 comments Cait wrote: "C.E., records should always remain in their earliest form. If there are new versions of the book published, new records should be created for them. Would you like a librarian to help you create new..."

Yes, please.

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments rivka wrote: "I updated it 3 days ago."

Rivka - I just looked at the updated FAQ thread and noticed you said that the link was on the left ... assuming the author's edit page doesn't look different, shouldn't it be the right? ;)

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

um . . .

your OTHER left! (Thanks. Fixed.)

message 19: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments C.e. wrote: "Cait wrote: "C.E., records should always remain in their earliest form. If there are new versions of the book published, new records should be created for them. Would you like a librarian to help you create new..."

Yes, please."

Sure! The easiest way would be for you to start a new thread with the title of the book as the name of the thread (otherwise it'll get lost in the other discussion on this thread) with a link to the existing book, a link to the new cover, and text of any other things which changed (new publication date, etc.).

message 20: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments rivka wrote: "um . . .

your OTHER left! (Thanks. Fixed.)"

;P

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 548 comments rivka wrote: "I updated it 3 days ago."

Oops, got confused when I read the default part, sorry!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments C.e. wrote: "Cait wrote: "C.E., records should always remain in their earliest form. If there are new versions of the book published, new records should be created for them. Would you like a librarian to help y..."

@c.e., you will be able to set which book cover is default (that is, shows first on search pages when members search by title, on your author page, etc.). Just cannot replace older book covers someone might have shelved.

If you do not specify a default, it has been just the most shelved by goodreads member ("most popular") one. I'm assuming that's still true, if default not set—but not sure as the new default options are just staff and author accessible and none of us librarians actuallyknow what's up yet.

message 23: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

For any work that the default is not manually set, then nothing has changed from how it has always worked.

message 24: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments rivka wrote: "For any work that the default is not manually set, then nothing has changed from how it has always worked."

How can us normal mortals KNOW that the default has been manually set?

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There is not currently an indication (other than the default not being the one most shelved). Adding one is under discussion.

message 26: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments rivka wrote: "There is not currently an indication (other than the default not being the one most shelved). Adding one is under discussion."

I would like to see a marker on the book page to indicate that this is a manually selected book.

I think the logs should show not only that the default has been manually set but who by. The theory as described by Patrick was that only the primary author (or staff) can change it but it would not be much of a problem for a secondary author (who might be a librarian) to tweak the records and make themselves the primary, change the default, then change the author back.

Secondly, given the amount of work (and chaos) that changing covers can cause I think the logs should show the old one as well as the new one. Having to undo a suspect change twice to see if a cover has been 'illegally' changed is annoying and not really practical if you are fishing around in a book with many edits. Having a full history of covers would be great.

message 27: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I will pass that on.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I need to stop saying "default edition"; the author faq's is saying "primary edition" — I apologize if I added to the confusion with the wording.

I think if a change comment in library log said "primary edition set" type of thing that that would be clear wording.

message 29: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 25, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I think librarian manual atill says under primary edition "Primary edition of a work
The primary edition of a work is automatically set as the one that has been shelved/rated/reviewed by the most GR users. There is currently no way to change the primary edition of a work manually." — could use an update.

message 30: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Elberg | 2 comments Ok, I've read the thread and I still don't see how to update my cover image here. The one shown is very old and not the one I want to use to promote my book. But I did not see a way to change it in the author edit page. Please help!

Richelle

message 31: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 3486 comments Hi Richelle,
I found the cover on your website and put it on the kindle edition: Impunity. If you want it to show as the primary edition, you should follow the instructions given in message 4 from the Author Faq: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1.... If you still don't succeed then use the 'Contact Us' link on your Author Page to contact Goodreads staff, since librarians cannot change the primary edition.

message 32: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Elberg | 2 comments Thanks!

message 33: by Liz M (last edited Nov 26, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Liz M I'm curious about the new feature that allows authors to choose which edition is the default/primary.

So, if I understand correctly, if I enter "Title B" in the search box on any page, the primary edition will appear in the search results. Is this also true for the search box in the add book/author pop-up? Will the most popular edition (if the author has set a different primary edition) only be found by clicking "other editions" on the book page & sorting by num. ratings?

Does anyone know of a book that has the primary edition set to an edition other than the most popular? I want to play around with different ways of searching to see which editions show up where. Thanks!

message 34: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I think that when an edition has been set as the primary edition by an author, that edition will take the place of the "most popular edition" anywhere it would have shown up. Which would include all searches, series pages, recommendations, etc.

The "other editions" link should still function as normal - so a sort by num. ratings will show you the most popular edition regardless of which is the primary edition.

message 35: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Liz M wrote: "Does anyone know of a book that has the primary edition set to an edition other than the most popular? I want to play around with different ways of searching to see which editions show up where. Thanks! "

This one:
http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

the one that shows as default is the second on the list.

message 36: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Thanks!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Not sure when added, but now in help screens it says ( http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/31...

1) Navigate to the book's page.

2) Click "edit details" below the book's description.

3) On the right side of the page, click "Set this book as the primary edition for this work". It's about midway down the page.

Only Goodreads Authors can set the default edition at this time.