The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Winter 2012-2013 > 10.2 - Let's Get Something Started

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 16, 2012 09:24PM) (new)

Sandy | 12663 comments Mod
10.2 - Let’s Get Something Started.
Since the beginning of the year is a good time to plan for the year, read a nonfiction book that relates to something you would like to do in 2013. This could be something that you always do – planting a garden, trying to unclutter your stuff, or something new, like reading about a new place you’d like to go on vacation. Required: explain what you’d like to do and how your book relates to that.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments one of my goals for 2013 is to do a half-ironman triathlon, but there aren't really any books about that level of competing, most are focused on the Ironman - would that work - since I plan on doing one of those in 2014, but I need the half-iron goal first?

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Dee wrote: "one of my goals for 2013 is to do a half-ironman triathlon, but there aren't really any books about that level of competing, most are focused on the Ironman - would that work - since I plan on doin..."

sure, that works.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments thanks - figured but wanted to check...i may be calling myself insane in a few months for deciding to do this...lol!

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Dee wrote: "thanks - figured but wanted to check...i may be calling myself insane in a few months for deciding to do this...lol!"

One of my daughters ran a half marathon last weekend, and somone along the route was holding up a sign that said, "It seemed like a good idea 6 months ago!"

message 8: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Ooh Sandy, this is a good can of worms! I'm always starting something or the other, never finishing anything, lol. Question, can it have something to do with books and reading? Also, I have a project next year to learn more about US history, so could I read a non fiction about say, the independence or civil war or something?

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments Lol sandy!!

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Chaitra wrote: "Ooh Sandy, this is a good can of worms! I'm always starting something or the other, never finishing anything, lol. Question, can it have something to do with books and reading? Also, I have a proje..."

Either is fine. And I know what you mean about never quite getting it done - that's why I included "trying to unclutter your stuff" as one of those things that we always do!

message 11: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Thanks Sandy! I will read A New World: An Epic of Colonial America by Arthur Quinn for this. And, I just make more clutter even if I start off with the intention to clear it! :)

message 12: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) What book can I use for learning to drive?

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1359 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "What book can I use for learning to drive?"

Here's one idea:

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

message 14: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Brill, thanks Karen x

message 15: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 781 comments My goal is to start reading Detective fiction again, would Talking About Detective Fiction by P.D. James work?

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Midu wrote: "My goal is to start reading Detective fiction again, would Talking About Detective Fiction by P.D. James work?"

sure

message 17: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 781 comments thanks,Sandy

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6364 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Fiona (Titch) wrote: "What book can I use for learning to drive?"

Here's one idea:

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do"

this was an interesting book, and I see it in action driving in DC every day...specially the part about rubber-necking at other traffic accidents

message 19: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 54 comments OK this may sound weird but can I use Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin' for this one because one of my goals for the new year is to cook more and eat out less. It's just so easy and convenient to grab a bucket of chicken or burgers on the way home but I get really sick of eating out so much and just want some good home cooked meals.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

JenniferJ wrote: "OK this may sound weird but can I use Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin' for this one because one of my goals for the new year is to cook more and eat out less. It's just so easy and conven..."

From the description, this seems more like a autobiography with some recipes thrown in than a cookbook or a NF book about nutrition, why you should cook rather than eat out, etc. If that's the case, it wouldn't work, since her autobiography doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the goal of cooking more.

message 21: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 54 comments OK I'll keep looking. :)

message 22: by Sandra (last edited Dec 11, 2012 09:27AM) (new)

Sandra (Sandra72) | 625 comments I recently moved to Switzerland and my goal for 2013 is to learn German/Swiss German. Would Hoi - your Swiss German survival guide: Your Swiss German Survival Guide work for this task?

This link may give you more information about the book:
http://www.amazon.ca/Hoi-Swiss-German...

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandra wrote: "I recently moved to Switzerland and my goal for 2013 is to learn German/Swiss German. Would Hoi - your Swiss German survival guide: Your Swiss German Survival Guide work for this task?

This link m..."

sure

message 24: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1359 comments I'm going to be planning for an update of the technology in my school library and I am also attending the national ALA conference in Seattle at the end of January where Steven Johnson is speaking. In the description of his book Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation it says that it is about setting up an environment for innovation, which is part of what I want to do in the library. May I read the book for this task?

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Karen GHHS wrote: "I'm going to be planning for an update of the technology in my school library and I am also attending the national ALA conference in Seattle at the end of January where Steven Johnson is speaking. ..."

sure - sounds perfect.

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samjaymc) | 71 comments One of my goals is to be more positive. Would a book on changing the way you think work for this task?

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sam wrote: "One of my goals is to be more positive. Would a book on changing the way you think work for this task?"

It sure would.