The Slants Book Club discussion

Let the Right One In
This topic is about Let the Right One In
Let the Right One In > Discussion of Chapter 1: [Wed 21 Oct 1981]

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon Tam (simontam) | 10 comments Mod
Hi,

I was interested in choosing this book because our keyboardist, Thai, wrote the lyrics for one of our new songs based on the story. While I don't think he read the novel (only saw the films), I'm more of a book junkie and wanted to check it out. Besides, it had a great reputation - Stephen King, Anne Rice, and many others touted it as one of the most important works in vampire lore, especially when you consider that the time period it was released had no such popular vampire fad.

The way this book started off caught me off guard - about a bullied child,a creepy man in the woods. While it definitely felt like it could be the setup from a work of horror, it didn't feel like the quintessential vampire story (until the murder plot moves along). It's interesting that the most violent, graphic, and disturbing thoughts all came from the child and not the adults around him (his violent fantasy, the scrapbook, his anger). I loved the twist towards the ending of the first chapter - in fact, I had to reread parts of it twice to make sure that I wasn't getting the characters mixed up.

I also thought it was an interesting revelation that the bullied child had to go through a charade of sorts to lesson the punishment, almost as if it were a song and dance, where each person had their roles to play for the audience at hand. In my experiences with bullying, it was very true to life, like an unscripted plot. Disturbing. Sad. Reminded me of my own experiences of being bullied for being Chinese American.

What did you think? Anything in particular jump out at you?

message 2: by Kash (new) - added it

Kash | 3 comments Man, I was caught off guard as well. I thought that the man was going to attack Oskar and then I realized that wasn't the case.

The bullying is difficult, I feel sorry for the kid but at the same time, I know the bullies, etc, will get what's coming to them, plus it kind of feels like what the bullying is like in Japanese schools. =/

There's other stuff that happens later that makes this book kind of difficult for me, but it makes sense.

But, so far so good and I had such a hard time putting it down that I got halfway though part two before I remembered I should be reading along with the group. XD

Thai Dao | 1 comments Having seen both movies, I'm enjoying the inner dialogue of Oskar and the exploration of how he feels and reacts to the bullying. His revenge fantasies are alarming but true to life.

Hakan being a pedophile really alarmed me, and I wasn't quite prepared for that, since its not really mentioned in the movies. I can kind of see, though, why this will be important to the story.

So far, I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far, just like I did the movies.

message 4: by Kash (new) - added it

Kash | 3 comments Thai wrote: "Having seen both movies, I'm enjoying the inner dialogue of Oskar and the exploration of how he feels and reacts to the bullying. His revenge fantasies are alarming but true to life.

Hakan being..."

LOL I was trying to not be all spoilery, but since you've let that tid bit out of the bag about Hakan, I wasn't ready for it either. I'm not sure I'm even ready for it at all, but it is a good book, and I've not seen either of the movies, though I was told I should. I'll wait til the book is done~