Artipathy discussion

Art and Fear > Acceptance

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 362 comments Mod
I get this one for sure. Your average bear will have a hard time understanding that anything that is not sculpture, painting, or drawing is art. I think the key here is being clear about your idea but also linking it to the past. Finding common ground is one way to bring someone "in" to your work so you can explain it in a way they might recognize. The reason I get this is because I spent 15 years explaining my textile work to people. Since it didn't really fall into a category, I really had a hard time getting my point across that it was "art" and not some hobby or something their grandmother might do. Making a link to classical art was one way for people to gain an understanding of it and with understanding came acceptance. There's so much debate as to what is art and what isn't. In the end, what matters is that you believe in it. That goes for approval too. What are your experiences with acceptance and approval? Did it ever make you stop working? Did it make you change mediums? How important is approval to you when you are creating?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments Very true!

"In the end, what matters is that you believe in it"