The Sword and Laser discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
2012 Reads > CA: Audible version problem

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah (multivoxmuse) | 3 comments At 1h 39m you will notice that mid-sentence it suddenly skips to chapter 2, letters from zedelghem. and suddenly it's a new narrator.

Does anyone else with the audible version have this issue? It does it on multiple devices for me. I'd like to finish the Ewing chapter.

The real book doesn't end that chapter mid sentence does it?

The sentence: "Sunday, the eighth of December... [blah blah blah]... So both starboard and port shifts might--" and then a pause, and then an old British dude: "Letters from Zedelghem..."

message 2: by Vicky (last edited Nov 16, 2012 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicky (librovert) | 52 comments The book actually does end mid-sentence and picks up mid sentence when you get to the second half of Ewing's story. :)

terpkristin | 3636 comments Yep, as Vicky said, completely normal. I think the Audible people even had to put a warning on the book page to let customers know.

Michael (The_Smoking_GNU) | 178 comments From the audible website:
"Note to customers: The complicated format of this novel makes it seem that the audio may be cutting off before the end of a story, accompanied by a change in narrator. However, this is the author's intention, so please continue to listen, and the stories will conclude themselves as intended."

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah (multivoxmuse) | 3 comments Yep that's what the good people of audible told me too. Thanks!

Julianne (bicoastalite) | 2 comments Has anyone notice that the "unabridged" Audible version of Cloud Atlas doesn't actually follow the book 100%? Very disappointing that its not word for word...

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 1 comments What's changed? I can't find any reference to it being different.

message 8: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments Some of the chapters don't come to a complete

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments Tamahome wrote: "Some of the chapters don't come to a complete"

Ha ha. I am so slow today.

message 10: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments I'm still working on 'Alpaca lips'.

Julianne (bicoastalite) | 2 comments Joshua wrote: "What's changed? I can't find any reference to it being different."

The Audible.com version doesn't match my Cloud Atlas' version. It's as if reading a different version altogether. I like to sometimes read along (to get the full reading experience) and realized in SEVERAL DOZEN passages don't line up. :-(