Inspiration Room discussion

Ideas > Get Off Topic

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller If you need to understand your characters better in order to progress with your story, put them in a totally random/pointless situation and see how they react. It may be horrible writing, but understanding your character is a KEY part of writing your story, and this can help!

message 2: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Also, getting off the topic you're stuck on can help you figure it out subconciously. Staring at a blank page isn't working, so try to write something else.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) I also like to throw my characters into songs and then see how they react. I don't write it down (you probably could though), but you really learn a lot about your characters. Does that make sense?

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller That's a really interesting idea, Lai! *considers* So, like, think of a song from your character's standpoint?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

what song, for example?

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Yeah. I LOVE music, so I'm almost always listening to it. For instance, let's use the song Somewhere by Within Temptation. Little snip it of the lyrics (not sure if their right)

I'll find you somewhere,
I'll keep on trying
Until my dying day

Cause I just need to know
Whatever has happened
The truth will free my soul

I'd then take a character (usually one or a few come to mind) and see what the scene that they make when it is their's and from their point of view. You could use the same song with a different character and get a completely different emotion and scenario.

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller That's amazing, Lai! Wonderful idea.

message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) It's really fun!

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I think it's great. I can see songs that would definitely help me with that.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

hmm. when i read those lyrics, i was immediatly thinking "dawson wouldn't do that." or "yup, sounds like cali."

message 11: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller LOL See? It works!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

haha just thinking .. cali would keep searching for dawson till she died. oh, crap .. "the truth will free my soul" ... doesn't that mean like daw's dead? *bites lip* maybe .. maybe we should *cough* move on to another song ... :D

message 13: by Elaine (last edited Feb 23, 2009 07:10AM) (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Yes, it's a very good song! =) I see "the truth will free my soul" as that the person needs to find out what happened to the other, whatever it may be. But see, it worked! You were able to see how Cali would react and feel if Dawson died. =)

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller LOL See it's a really good thought, Elaine.

message 15: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) =D Thanks you, thank you very much! *bow dramatically*

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller *laughs*

message 17: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) That is WAY cool! Totally awesome! I wanna try that with Tempus/Annie . . .

message 18: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller It's really good, I've tried it with Lucille on The Way I Loved You by Taylor Swift, and it inspired her story.

message 19: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) Awesome!

message 20: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Yeah, Elaine's a fricking genius!

Excuse my French.

message 21: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 5 comments Elaine wrote: "Yeah. I LOVE music, so I'm almost always listening to it. For instance, let's use the song Somewhere by Within Temptation. Little snip it of the lyrics (not sure if their right)

I'll find you..."

haha, i luff within temptation...

message 22: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I haven't heard it before

message 23: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) mimi told me about it . . .

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller LOL Mimi's spreading the word!