Inspiration Room discussion

Ideas > Ideas Folder

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller If you have any ideas on how to fight Writer's Block, make a new topic and put them in THIS folder!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) 1. Think about what your characters like to do and where the plot may be going. And think HARD not lightly. Maybe even map it out on paper.

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Good idea... making an outline can really help

message 4: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) Ooh, it really does! I started making an outline for a new story, and its going much smoother than my stories w/o the outline!

2. Character Sketches always help. Before you write a story, know what every character's back story is, even if it isn't included in the story. It influences what they do and how they act.

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller That's true. Answering as many questions as you can think of about your characters is a pain, but it really helps sometimes.

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) XD I did something right! *whispers* Tink, this might be a first!

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller *whispers back* It's a miracle!

message 8: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) LOL yep

message 9: by Paige (last edited Mar 09, 2009 07:31PM) (new)

Paige Miller *grins* Thanks for joining in on the conversations, anyway! This group is somewhat dead. BTW, your a mod. Congratulations. :-)

message 10: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) omggg i feel great now haha XD i invited all my friends, so i hope it won't be dead no more.

message 11: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller YAY! GO SETH!

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller *hums Staying Alive by the Begees*

Oh, oh, oh, oh, Staying Alive, Staying alive, oh oh oh oh STAYING ALIVE!

message 13: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) still alive by GlaDos is better! XD

message 14: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I'm sure.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 18 comments I love that song, Tink :) I'm checking out the group. I've been slacking this week...sorry :(

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller It's cool, Andrea.

message 17: by === (new)

=== go 2 sleep, it helped me over come mine!
i drempt of a good ending!

message 18: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I don't do outlines, and I don't do songs. I do sleep on it. Mostly, though, I think about the characters and the situation and let the creative juices flow. I may only write a little or a lot, but I am strictly a go-with-the-flow person.

message 19: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Interesting. I sometimes have to force myself to sit down and write, otherwise I get lazy.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) omg i cant stand not writing for a day. then i get paranoid like one of my characters is going to jump out and attack me... *shudder* yeah, not pleasant. even if its just a small scene or a bit of dialogue, i have to write. OCD? do i have another thing to add onto my list of mental problems? hahahaha

message 21: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller LOL

message 22: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Good advice, Emmaleigh.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I got some other good advice recently for those who have many stories: It's okay to skip from story to story as long as you remember where the story goes.

message 24: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) I agree that it's okay to have multiple stories (I think that is what you were talking about) - I have way too many too count! I think it helps because each one is so different so I can write which ever way I feel like at the moment. I don't have to force third-person seriousness when I feel like writing first-person comidy. Besides, the more you write - no matter what you write - the better writer you'll be.

message 25: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Definitely, I completely agree.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It's fun to write about something random.

message 27: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller That can totally work sometimes! I do it alot.

message 28: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Try not to edit. I know, this is really hard, I'm still trying to master this. Going back to edit something is really hard, because then you lose your idea. For example:
His back turned toward me, he walked slowly into the unlight, rays coming through, showing only his profile...(GAH! TOO MANY COMMAS! NEED TO GO FIX THAT, THIS, wait, what was I going to say?)

message 29: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller That's true.

message 30: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) :D

message 31: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I actually do that alot.... LOL

message 32: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) Me 2.

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller LOL

message 34: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) That's true, Riley. I tend to edit as I write, and I do forget what is going on a lot. I must learn to just type what I am thinking at the time, and worry about the editing later.

message 35: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller LOL Yes, I remember there was this one story and I got so caught up in editing that I forgot where the story was going.... It's still on my desktop under "Dead Story"

message 36: by The Eternal Servant, (last edited Apr 21, 2009 01:04PM) (new)

The Eternal Servant, (tykatsuya) | 1 comments Hey, I have been writing a story lately, and it's going really good so far, I have 37 pages and 14 pictures to go with it, but if I continue on my original plot, it'll be shorter than I want it to be.
I have several ideas but I don't know how to incoperate them into the story and they don't have much to do with the main plot or my main charries, what can I do? (Ran-Ran-chan, it's Angel Master, so you already know what I'm talking about.) Here's the link if you want to read the first two chapters I have posted on the net:

http://ty-katsuya.deviantart.com/art/...

message 37: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Okay, TES! (The Eternal Servant) I'm glad you came to us, and I'd definitely be willing to help you with it. Two suggestions, though...

1. Check out Writers Who Write. It's a whole group for reviews.
2. Next time, make your own topic for this, okay?

Okay, here goes. My ideas are:

1. Incorporate a betrayal of a friend, an unexpected romance, etc. Some kind of plot twist that adds more depth (and length) to your story.

2. Just... finish your story. Write it all out. Then, go back and add where you feel it would be appropriate to add more writing. Better to have a well-written, finished, (somewhat short) story then to have a not-finished, long, poorly written story.

If I were you, I'd go with option number two.

Hope I helped!

-P/T

message 38: by Karalee (new)

Karalee (karaleeksmith) Take a walk! Go to the mall! Go out in public where you will see people. Try "profiling" people. It's mean, but it helps if you are trying to think of characters. Think of why that man is rushing. Why does that woman look so sad? Is that child lost? Think of a story. How did that person get there?

This helps me only if I'm trying to think of a good story idea.

message 39: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Great ideas for new writing, Karalee. Thanks for your input.