Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince discussion

Am I the only one...

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 21, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

...shipping Harry and Cho, or even Harry and Luna?
Let me explain.
Ginny Weasley is introduced to us as Ron's little sister, who (understandably) acts shy and embarrassed around Harry. She remains this way until book #5, when she makes an abrupt transition from a minor character to a major character. As Ginny's character inclines, Cho's, unfortunatly, declines. Up until #5, she has been potrayed as someone who seems like a worthy match for Harry...until Order of the Phoenix, when Cho is suddenly crying all the time (Hermione lists all the perfectly good reasons for her behavior in OotP), so Harry loses interest. (All they needed to save that situation was a little patience on both sides! Why is that so hard?)
Anyway, back to Ginny. Her aforementioned abrupt transition in the previous book pales in comparison to what happens in this book, which is her complete transformation into a beautiful, firey, tough, gutsy, sassy, athletic, popular, full-blown Mary Sue. (A Mary Sue is a female character with no visible flaws, is often a boy magnet, and can seemingly do no wrong. Sound familiar?)
And that's not all. In half a page(?!), Ginny suddenly flips, in Harry's eyes, from his best friend's sister to his (!) love interest (I know, freaky as all-get-out, right?), which Ron conveniently has no problem with. Why? Because no one ever argues with or questions the actions of a Mary Sue.
And now for my biggest issue with their (scary) relationship. Two words: OEDIPUS. COMPLEX. Anyone who feels like screaming can go ahead. I don't blame you.
Do you see why I'm a fierce H/C shipper now? I like H/L simply because (A)they've both lost parents, (B)she's the one who comforts him by reminding him about the voices behind the veil, and (C)she's incredible. :)

Stephanie Bolen I understand the whole confusion over the teenage love thing. The Harry falling for Ginny thing and dumping Cho over something that they could have worked out is very believable--after all we are talking teenagers. What is unbelievable to me is Harry has two girlfriends his whole life. How many people do you know that married their high school sweetheart, in this generation? I know of two and that's actually thinking about it. You never marry the high school bf/gf, you always break up before you go off to college or after you both get to college and discover other people you want to sleep with.

Peeves Hmm.. i have never seen Ginny as a Mary Sue but neither have i EVER seen her as a worthy female interest for the greatest Male Protagonist on earth.

I am so glad i am not the only one who thinks Ginny is not all that great Brooke!

p/s: i never liked Cho. or even Fleur. Hehe, Basically any girl that Harry is interested in is a total no no. Since i cannot be his girlfriend i have very very high standards for him. So naturally all the female characters in the book fall short of my expectations except maybe Hermoine?

Sarah I think it makes sence.Ron is Harry's best friend and Ginny is kinda like Ron. I think he fell in love with her because of this. Not knowing of course. Or he may just have a thing for red hair! And Harry has always wanted to be apart of there family anyway. AND J.K.R. might have done that so Ron and Harry could be sorta like brothers also Hermione married Ron so she is like there sister (a little bit more for Ron, but you get it). Really what we should be worried about is why Draco never went to jail...I'm just sayin'.

message 5: by Monkique (last edited Nov 15, 2012 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monkique I was a Harry/Ginny shipper since book 2! For me was very obvious from the beginning that Ginny would finish being Harry's girl. And definitely I don't see Ginny like a Mary Sue, she indeed has flaws, but I think that in the 6 book we saw her in a more positive way was because we saw the story through Harry and he likes/loves her!

Erin Brooke wrote: "...shipping Harry and Cho, or even Harry and Luna?
Let me explain.
Ginny Weasley is introduced to us as Ron's little sister, who (understandably) acts shy and embarrassed around Harry. She remains ..."

My only question is how is it like the Oedipus Complex? I have studied Freud quite a bit and I don't see it. I can kind of see it in relation to the fact that Ginny resembles his mother. But there is no father character that he hates and wants to kill so he can sleep with his "mom". In regards to your other points, I do see them but I guess I never had a problem with Ginny.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Monkique wrote: "I was a Harry/Ginny shipper since book 2! For me was very obvious from the beginning that Ginny would finish being Harry's girl. And definitely I don't see Ginny like a Mary Sue, she indeed has fla..."

Finally someone who agrees with me! :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I_Abukar wrote: "I completely agree with you. I wrote a thread a while back about something like this and I got a lot of hell for it."
I know, I was inspired by it. :)

Blueturtles wrote: "I think it makes sence.Ron is Harry's best friend and Ginny is kinda like Ron. I think he fell in love with her because of this. Not knowing of course. Or he may just have a thing for red hair!"
Huh. I never thought of it that way, about Ron. Maybe. And Harry does have a thing for red hair, cause that was his mom's hair color and he never knew her, so....
Oh, and Ms. Rowling? Were you trying to recreate the only soulmate relationship in the series? (I think you were.) Well, guess what: It's your own fault, for not giving that particular relationship any screen time. (I got a little choked up when I first read that chapter in DH...you know, the one where Ron comes back.) God, what the flaming romantic in me wouldn't have given to be a fly on the wall...*sigh*

Hannah Ginny's 'abrupt trasition' ~nods
Ginny 'not a worthy female interest' ~nods

I don't like Cho but I think she's better. Ginny's so ordinary. And Harry's interest in her seemed so sudden. The romance felt fake.

I think that Harry should be with someone more special. I mean, we're talking about THE Harry Potter here. Even his parents are outstanding people, in their own ways. Luna would be good, I love her uniqueness. I'm also a Harry/Hermione fan, even though I still like Hermione/Ron.

Baylie I never really liked Cho, she just kind of showed up in the books and was always so stinking emotional, even before Cedric. And she got jealous after like two seconds and pretty much everything she did bothered me. Ginny was always there the readers could practically see her grow up from her being a little tentative and scared in the Chamber of Secrets to slowly becoming influential and brave. Harry tends to do things without thinking and be rash, same with Ron now that I think about it, so both Ginny and Hermione help the boys in being able to do what they need to do but try and have some structure in their lives.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Baylie wrote: "I never really liked Cho, she just kind of showed up in the books and was always so stinking emotional, even before Cedric. And she got jealous after like two seconds and pretty much everything she..."

My exact opinion!