Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I got Twilight for the holidays (thank god I have an aunt who gets my vampire book obsession), and... well, let's just say that I understand the general swoonage over Edward now.

IMO, the plot in the first book is a bit random and meandering, but Meyer does a hell of a job developing Bella and Edward as characters. And good god, does she know how to write sexual tension. I'd find myself forgetting to breathe in some scenes, haha!

I ran out and bought New Moon and Eclipse this weekend and have just started reading New Moon. I really hope I like the rest of the series.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I love this series, and am anxiously awaiting the release of the fourth book later this year. I read both Twilight and New Moon in less than a week, then had to wait months for Eclipse to come out. I devoured it too. They're supposed to be making Twilight into a movie, but I'm not sure when its coming out. I have a feeling I'll be disappointed with the movie because I loved the book so much.

message 3: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I managed to plough through each book in about a day and a half. It's been a while since I've read something so quickly.

They're definitely fun to read, like a big, trashy, teenage soap opera. Actually, some of Bella's reactions make me groan and remember how melodramatic I was as a teenager, haha. Edward is by far my favorite character, though now I'm hoping that Meyer works to flesh him out more along with the rest of the vampires.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) I read them last year without knowing anything about them, based on a friend's recommendation. I was completely absorbed in Twilight, and then I too had to run out and buy the others (actually, I had Amazon drop them off, which meant an anxious two-day wait), and read them in a day. New Moon kept me up till 2a.m. because I couldn't sleep until I knew what happened!

These are some of the few books that I've read that I'm happy not analysing, and simply enjoying for the sake of them. I've since come across a lot of Twilight-haters on Goodreads, but have finally learnt to avoid those discussions, since they ruin my fun!

Actually, Twilight can be blamed for getting me into paranormal romance (my latest reading craze). It's not the first book of the genre I've ever read - maybe two before? - but it was the first one that made me want to go out and find more sexy vampires! They're a complete indulgence-read for me, and unashamedly so.

Bella's not perfect, and neither is Edward. That just makes them more human (familiar/realistic/believable), doesn't it?

I love how emotional I get when reading these books. Any book that can get its claws into me and hang on tight like that, is a winner!

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) Oh, yes, the movie's scheduled to come out in December 2008.

Kristen Stewart (Panic Room, In the Land of Women) is playing Bella and Robert Pattinson (Cedric from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ) is playing Edward.

I don't think the rest of the casting has been finalised yet.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I know that Stephenie Meyer has plans to write a Twilight companion book, that will be rewritten from Edward's perspective. He should get fleshed out quite nicely in it, and hopefully the rest of the Cullen's as well. It won't be out for quite some time though because she's working on other books first. Just FYI.

message 7: by Shannon (Giraffe Days) (last edited Jan 07, 2008 07:58AM) (new)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) You can read the first chapter of Midnight Sun (Edward's side of the story) on her website (click on the link). Looking forward to it!

message 8: by Andie (new)

Andie (andiesmith) melani told me i had to read it...since she will be in town next week (and there may be a pop quiz) i picked it up..read it in a day and a half...didn't sleep...couldn't put the book down. i picked up new moon last night

message 9: by Melani D (new)

Melani D lol andie! I promise, no pop quiz. the man was glad when I was finished with the series so I'd get something done around the house

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 162 comments I noticed in Borders the other day that the 4th book in the Twilight series - Breaking Dawn - will be released August 2. They are taking pre-orders. I was very sad to read on the Stephenie Meyer's website that Breaking Dawn is the final book in the Twilight Series. Somewhere on her website, Stephenie talks about having written a book for her sister with the post-Belle-becomes-a-vampire saga (or, adventures of Belle and Edward, if you prefer). I really hope the author does something with those ideas. I know that Midnight Sun is still supposed to be published someday, which will be great, but I hope she also continues the story. It would also be interesting if Jake spun off his own book.

Also, Stephenie Meyer's new series, Host, will be released May 6 - it is targeted for an adult audience. Twilight movie is scheduled to come out before Christmas.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) I pre-ordered Breaking Dawn last year, and I ordered The Host at the same time, from Amazon. I was worried I'd forget but that's not likely with everyone still talking about them! I'm pretty sure The Host is a stand-along novel though. Then again, I think Twilight was meant to be stand-alone too in the beginning :)

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (KatLdy) | 5 comments I pre-ordered both also. I also pre-ordered the Eclipse special edition..lol. Obsessed much? My copy of The host is still on it's way though. I keep tracking it, as if it's going to get here faster that way.

message 13: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (Hilary_Cullen) | 7 comments Just in case anyone doesn't know this already: Twilight the movie will be released in theaters December 12th. Which in my opinion, is 7 months too far away! I will be in Italy from September-June of 2009, so I will miss the movie!!! :(

Twilight is definitely my obsession (I have pictures of Edward ALL over my wall...and I have read the three books about 5 times each..in 2 months.)

If you feel the same way about twilight, please join the group I just made! I need new members, and there will be daily updates of any Twilight news. Right now, there is a sneak preview of the movie on it, you definitely have to see it! Thanks!

message 14: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) You bad girls did it. I finally redownloaded this audio book from Audible so that I can give it a chance again.

message 15: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments The Twilight series was my first experience in the genre... and it has spawned an obsession! I've read all three books in the series countless times.

You can go to IMDB and check out all the casting news, all characters are cast, and filming is rolling along. I am concerned that I won't like the movie as much as the book, but it won't keep me away from the theaters!

I am glad that there is only going to be one more book in the series (Breaking Dawn)... there is something to be said for a well written series that knows when enough is enough, and while I absolutely love this series, I am much happier knowing that Meyer isn't going to continue the series just for the commercial value.

I just started The Host, and I am loving it!

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 162 comments I'm about 1/3 through Stephanie Meyer's Host and I'm dying to talk about it! OMG is it emotional! The first several chapters are a slow build setting up the 'verse, so keep plugging past the desert scene - it really pays off. The story is about Earth being invaded by peace-loving body snatchers, but the point of the novel is a tragic love story. I feel the heroine's pain and fear every step of the way - Stephanie Meyer's has a gift for tear jerkers. I'm getting flashbacks to sobbing over Edward in Eclipse. It's not that bad yet, but the suspense is such a hook. I'm less upset that that the Twilight series is coming to an end now that I have proof that I will enjoy other series by Stephanie Meyer. Good going for her - she deserves her million dollar book deal.

message 17: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (Hilary_Cullen) | 7 comments The Host was a great book! Her writing technique was much the same as Twilight, and I thought it was very good!

message 18: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (Hilary_Cullen) | 7 comments P.S, Anita, I don't know if you've heard this or not (probably have), but Stephenie Meyer is re-writing the first Twilight book in Edwards point of view and calling it Midnight Sun :)

The first chapter is on www.stepheniemeyer.com
I read it and am very excited for the book to come out! I am hoping she will re-write the entire series in his POV :)

message 19: by new_user (last edited Oct 21, 2008 07:43PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I have a question. In Breaking Dawn does Jacob find his girl? Poor Jacob. :(

message 20: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Honestly, I don't care if he does or doesn't. He's too hot-headed and he ruined Eclipse for me. I don't see how anyone can favor him over Edward.

message 21: by new_user (last edited Oct 21, 2008 07:48PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Lol, because Jacob is real? Edward doesn't even resemble an actual man, no self-interest, etc., etc. xD Jacob is not without his flaws, of course, but at least he has a personality and if he's obnoxious in Eclipse it's because he's in love with her and he doesn't want to give her up. Edward is just a dream.

message 22: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 29, 2008 07:13AM) (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments Of course Jacob is hot-headed, he's 16! Edward, being much older, has had time to learn patience. Besides, Jacob has just as much right to love Bella as Edward does. Not only that, but she wouldn't have to give up her life and her family for Jacob, like she will for Edward. There is a lot she'll have to sacrifice for Edward. (I do like Edward best, by the way, I just don't understand why people hate Jacob.)

Jacob was there for Bella when she needed someone to pick up the pieces after Edward left her. He was an important part of her life, and helped her to grow as a person. I don't think that anyone should be with the first person they date/fall in love with, without seeing what else is out there. Being with Jacob, and caring for him forces Bella to make a choice. She sees what else is available, then chooses Edward. I think this is an important part of the story, and shouldn't be overlooked.

message 23: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments Amen Jennifer, couldn't agree more!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 24 comments I love Jacob too. I think she shoulda jumped on the werewolf train just once dammit.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Nah, I don't mind that she never chose Jacob (even though I think she treated him poorly). I think he deserves better than second place. Hopefully he finds his girl. :D

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) | 26 comments If/when Jacob imprints on someone else, what would happen to Bella if she'd chosen him? I think it's extremely selfish of him to know that it's a real possibility and still push to be with her.

message 27: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments You know I've been re-reading Eclipse this week in anticipation for the 4th book - are we SURE he hasn't imprinted on her!!!!!!
I do hope Jacob finds someone... I really do.

message 28: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments You know I've been re-reading Eclipse this week in anticipation for the 4th book - are we SURE he hasn't imprinted on her!!!!!!
I do hope Jacob finds someone... I really do.

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) | 26 comments I don't think he did or he wouldn't have been able to be mean to her.

message 30: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Maybe he does think he's imprinted onto her or maybe he doesn't want to find the the girl he'll imprint on (the books seem to suggest the latter, if I recall). He may want Bella to be that girl. He may not like that he'll be forced to like another girl, just as you say, Jess, or maybe he's just not interested in finding anyone else.

He wasn't really mean to her; he was just forcing her to face facts. Bella was being pretty cowardly about the whole thing and it was pretty unfair for her to keeping stringing Jacob along. I really didn't like that. I thought it was pretty brave of him to decide to continue being chummy with her even though it would hurt him (although I'm sure the motivation wasn't selfless either, lol).

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) | 26 comments I think you're right that he wants Bella to be that girl, even if he knows she isn't. It's possible that he may never find the person he's supposed to imprint on - it's a pretty big world. I just think knowing it's possible and trying to be with Bella anyway is selfish (although, love is like that sometimes).

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I don't think that Jacob could imprint on on anyone else while he's in love with Bella. I think that his heart would have to truly be available in order for him to imprint, and its not.

Yes, I know... What about the Sam/Emily situation?? Sam wasn't really in love before, therefore his heart was free to imprint with Emily. That's my theory anyway.

message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 162 comments I am very certain that Jacob admits to Bella that he has NOT imprinted on her in one of the books. Don't ask me for a page number, but I'm certain it's there. Personally, I hope that Jacob gets his own spin-off book or series where he finds his love.

message 34: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Hey All!

I am first going to admit that I have not read any of these books yet. I work part time at a Borders and I have to work the midnight release party tomorrow night. I was hoping to get some input from the fans of this series on some costume like attire that I could wear for the event. Thought it would be fun to dress up a bit.

Thanks!

message 35: by new_user (last edited Oct 21, 2008 07:49PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hi, Jessie. That's a tough one because the Twilight characters never wear anything special. Hm... have to give it some thought.

Anita, I completely agree, that would be awesome.

message 36: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments OK, so they are not dramatic in appearance like some of the other vampire novels.

message 38: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Werewolves are real now? Right.

Edward is a vampire. Everyone knows that vampires are pale and crazy beautiful. Edward is one so this is his personality. Jacob doesn't even know Bella. Hell, neither does Edward but Jacob is an after thought to Bella. He was a rebound. She had no interest in him until Edward left her. For Jacob to think that her feelings just went away beause he left her, then he's a lot more immature than he comes off.

Edward Cullen is like the Quarterback in high school and Jacob the best friend that's in love with the Quarterback's girlfriend. To choose that over Edward is bananas.

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Honestly, Bella used Jacob so it's not really his fault but I didn't like him in Eclipse at all. I was pretty indifferent to him up until he started acting like a jackass in New Moon. Eclipse brought on the I hate Jacob attitude. He's annoying to me. That's nice that he's alive but either way it goes he's just as much a monster as Edward is.

message 40: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Honestly, do you think Charlie would accept Jacob more once he found out he was a werewolf and he got furry once a month?

And Jacob hasn't imprinted on Bella so I'm really doubting his sincerity about his feelings. I think he's just around to annoy Edward.

message 41: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) he totally has not imprinted on her. he wouldnt have been able to lie to her when she asked him about being a werewolf. i think it's a first sight thing. i think he's got puppy love. I don't think Bella deserves either of them but that's another discuss.

message 43: by new_user (last edited Oct 21, 2008 07:45PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Lol, I never saw that one. He looks a little goofy with his mouth hanging open like that. xD

He hasn't imprinted on her, but that doesn't preclude him from having feelings for her, as we know Sam had feelings for another woman before he imprinted. I think Jacob's not comfortable with the thought he might be forced to like another woman in the future either.

When I said he isn't real, I meant Edward (vampire or not) is without flaws and I didn't mean his looks. He's perfect, so far above any human pettiness or any kind of familiar human weakness (emotion) that he seems like a perfect, distant god, alien even. Maybe his looks are a kind of reflection of that cold perfection. Even his love doesn't strike me as warm or passionate, as Jacob's does. Jacob is more human, he makes mistakes as we would expect any man to do. To make those mistakes and learn from them is more admirable, requires more courage, I think, than Edward's unfailing perfection.

Jacob knows her; he had all of New Moon to get to know her, and I don't think he's immature for wanting Bella to be with him when they both thought Edward was out of the picture. It was reasonable to assume that since she wasn't with Edward anymore, she might be interested in considering a relationship with another man at some point in the future (and he did tell her he would wait for her more than once). Or would she have pined after Edward forever? Perhaps it was wishful thinking on his part, since Bella apparently couldn't make room for anyone else in her heart, but not immature. No one's perfect, and he's entitled to wish for his own happiness.

That Bella doesn't return his feelings really doesn't say anything about him. I don't think she should be with him either. (And for the record, I think Charlie would chase either guy out of his house if he knew they weren't human, lol.)

message 44: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Jess,

Thank you for the link. One of the warnings says that Twilight vampires do not have fangs...is this true??? Vamps without Fangs...that seems blasphemous!!!

message 45: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Ranata, is it just me or does Edward look more like a zombie than a vampire on that cover? It makes me laugh every time I see it. :D

message 46: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments I just don't understand it... Bella and Edward are allowed to have feelings and everyone accepts them point blank no questions asked. Jacob however is villainized, and raked over the coals for daring to love Bella. I find that double standard just a bit much to swallow.

Jacob is NOT a bad guy, he's not Edward, whom I also find far from perfect... some of his behavior is like stalking or he acts like a prison guard.

I'm all for Edward and Bella being together. It doesn't mean I don't wish that Jacob could be happy. He's in terrible agony over his love for Bella. Hasn't anyone ever had the 'loved and lost' feeling!?!?!?!?! I find it impossible not to sympathize and empathize with him.

message 47: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) He looks like a girl. It's a horrible, horrible makeup job. Kristen looks fab though.

message 48: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jessie, they do not have fangs. They do not sleep and they can live off animal blood apparently. I can deal with everything but the no fangs kinda suck. They just have really sharp teeth.

message 49: by Ranata (last edited Aug 01, 2008 10:59AM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Susanne, it 's not that Jacob can't love her, the point is that she's taken and she's in love with someone else and to keep insinuating yourself into a situation that won't be changed is completely unacceptable. Remains me of a situation I was in last year with an ex and a new boyfriend..

Nobody said he's a bad person. He's just a third wheel. He's the guy trying to break up these 2 people when he was just a rebound. She used him! She used him to take her mind off of Edward. That right there should have been a sign. I don't like him because he's insinuating himself into the situation and trying to mess things up by telling Charlie and trying to get him on his side (which of course worked). Bella might love him but I doubt she's in love with him. He knows this yet he keeps being a little bitch and trying to make her leave Edward. Her mind is made up so why keep trying to change something that won't change!??! So she's gonna drop Edward and get with Jacob? Right.

Again, noone's say he can't be happy but he needs to be happy with someone else. That's my point and frankly I'm done discussing why I don't like Jacob Black. Sorry you feel like he's a victim and he kind of is but whatever. It's the story about Bella and Edward that made me love Twilight. He's ruining that love story when she's obviously not gong to be with him in that way.

And I've been in agony like that before (and at Jacob's age actually) but you get over it and you move on. That's what he needs to do. If they marry in Breaking Dawn, it's over, she won't be getting with Jacob cuz she's committed to Edward and being that this is teen fiction, I doubt she'll have a sordid affair with Jacob in the future.

message 50: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Maybe I should wear my fangs out of spite...LOL...start the Vampires should have fangs campaign. :)

« previous 1 3 4