Otherworldly Books discussion

Is there a book out there that is truly another world book?

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowen (new)

Rowen Sivertsen (BirchTreeRoad) | 3 comments Does anybody out there know of a book that doesn't have humans/humanoids (or recognisable terrestrian creatures with two eyes and four limbs) as the main protagonist or as the enemy? A book that takes place totally on another planet with other life forms? Sometimes I get tired of humans!
(or ant like creatures, or reptilian creatures!)

message 2: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 1 comments Hi, my name's Frances. This is an interesting topic. Exactly what kind of creature are you envisioning Rowen? Most need to have a body to act as the receptacle for a brain for intelligence don't they? If they don't have intelligence and some sort of body what would be their purpose? Wouldn't a creature still need to have a body to interact with those around it? I got a bit tired of the protagonists in books always being human that is why the main protagonist in my series is an energy form but he still had to take on human form to do his job. But that doesn't make him human. I also set the series off-world but in the course of his travels he does meet humans and four limbed creatures. Perhaps these terrestrian creatures as you call them, need to be in stories so we humans have something to relate to. I can't really imagine a story totally devoid of them.

message 3: by Rowen (new)

Rowen Sivertsen (BirchTreeRoad) | 3 comments Hallo Frances, thanks for the response! In another group in another space the conclusion was that for human readers to relate to the protagonist it had to have eyes at least - but I don't think our imagination is so limited. Of examples I have found, I loved the planetary bank in Hitch Hiker's guide to the galaxy, and Knut Vonneguts harmoniums. I wish Knut Vonnegut wrote a novel just about them! But Stephen Hawkins was much more imaginitive about the possibilities of life (if not intelligent life!) out in space - he refered to our "carbon chauvanism" and pointed out that there could be self propagating systems at almost all levels in the universe, including energy patterns (like your book), and that they could reach the complexity of intelligence, but that we would probably be unable to recognise them. Interesting!